Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Throttling?

• 16-07-2012 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Evening All

I am a UPC 100mb (or should that be 120mb now?) customer, but I have been having alot of issues with speeds lately. No matter what I am doing, almost all of my downloads max out at 2-2.5mb/s instead of the usual 10-12mb/s. I DL some stuff from newsgroups instead of bit torrent, but I am sure I am nowhere near my limit for the month. Even if they where to throttle the ports that the newsreader uses, why are normal web downloads so slow...?

Anyone else having issues with this atm?

Regards
    Matt

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Your 100mb broadband (or 120mb) is between you and UPC. It does not take in to account the bandwidth between UPC and the end site you're downloading from.

That is not something you can measure with ease.

It may not be UPC that is causing a problem.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Same, I'm only getting 4mb/s instead of 15mb/s.

I've tried x2 different usenet services.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

I thought it was only me, guess I was wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

That sucks if they are throttling you. Typical of Irish ISP's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

They used to throttle connections to megaupload. So maybe they're throttling the site rather than you specifically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Using newsleecher for a while and noticed that my download was at 2mb
    Changed the port from 563 to 443
    And I'm on the 50mb/upgrade 60mb
    Now downloading at 7.50mb .

I don't know if port 563 was been throttled
    But my download hasn't dropped since putting it on 443 ..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Speed was at 4mb/s for me regardless of port or protocol last night. It's back to normal again today. Cruising along at 15mb/s. Just the usual UPC hiccup I guess. If only they would fix YouTube. :(

Advertisement