Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AM I BEING ROBBED? (ESB CHARGES)

Options
  • 16-07-2012 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

if i have a pay as you go esb card and use roughly 40-50 euris per month should i still recieve a bill from the esb looking for more money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nicoface10

I currently have a esb card meter which takes the token cards yet i have recieved a bill in the post from the esb is this correct or do i have to pay the token fees plus a bi monthly fee for charges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi nicoface10,

Having a token meter installed doesn't mean you won't still receive a bill. Token meters are installed for the purposes of debt collection, and they are set to collect a certain amount per week.

Say a customer is in arrears of €300. They then have the token meter installed in order to deal with this debt. The debt isn't wiped clean; what happens is that a certain amount of it is cleared each time the customer tops up (this amount will be set in advance; an example would be €5 per week).

So, if a customer pays as planned and clears a small amount each week, by the time the next bill is due to issue, they may have reduced their arrears by, say €40. A bill will still issue reflecting the units used according to the original meter (as the token meter is linked to this - it does not replace it). In this scenario, the bill would be for €260.

The token meter is designed to prevent further debt accumulating, and to enable dealing with the existing debt in a manageable fashion. It doesn't, however, change the way the normal billing cycle works.

I hope this clarifies things. If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

David.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

nicoface10 wrote:
    if i have a pay as you go esb card and use roughly 40-50 euris per month should i still recieve a bill from the esb looking for more money?

This would be entirely dependent on usage. If you have a look over previous bills (or if you're an online biller, you can have a look your annual usage graph) you can calculate how many units, on average, you use per bill. This should give you an indication of how much you should budget for.

If you are using an easypay card, you'll essentially be prepaying your bill. If you are using a powerpay, or token meter card, to purchase tokens, this wouldn't be the same as prepaying or paying as you go - this is explained in response to your other query here.

Thanks,

David.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Posts merged from another thread which was resurrected from 2010 and not relevant.

Advertisement