Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health insurance and pregant

Options
  • 16-07-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

My fiancé is six months now and I was wondering can she still get health insurance or will they turn her down because she's already pregant?? And if they turn her down can I take out healthcare for the baby when it's born.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

She can get it but will not be covered for this pregnancy,on a lot of policies baby will be free until your renewal date.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Health insurance policies usually have an waiting period when you first take it out, during which you are not covered for most illnesses and treatments. I'm not sure of the actual period, I think it's 3-6 months.

I think pregnancy is usually an exception to this, however as Moonbeam says they won't cover you if you're already pregnant when you take the policy out.

This is the primary reason why you need to take out health insurance when you least need it. There's no point in buying it after you get sick because it won't cover you for at a least a year. Your "history" carries over between insurers so that if you switch insurers, you're not onto a "new" policy and the cover on the new policy has no waiting period.

Also as moonbeam says, check your own policy about the baby. Afaik, the child should be covered on your policy for free until the next renewal, but this may only apply to the mother's policy.

It is worth giving your insurer a ring to ask them is it worthwhile putting your wife on the policy now. Although her pregnancy costs may not be covered, they may still cover her for any complications before or after the birth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Waiting periods for pregnancy are 52 weeks on most policies to avail of ante-natal and post-natal care.

Advertisement