Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vintage Tackle In Use Today

Options
  • 16-07-2012 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Any vintage tackle tarts out there?

I use a 1977 ABU Ambassadeur 6500c mutliplier with 1980-ish Atlantic 484CS rod for beach fishing, with a 1978 403S for rock and pier rock, and a few other favourite combos. Also have a 1977 Ambassadeur 6000, 7000 (in fact bought in the Swedish ABU factory shop), 6000c, also 2500c, more rods, prisma 28g lure still killing mackerel...

All lovely gear, still catching.

Anyone doing something similar? I've found fresh water, varnished rings, and WD40 is the guy for tackle survivability, but the rings on ABU vintage rods are the weak spot. E-bay is the place, UK site is the best source, though sadly most sellers wont ship outside of their region even to the ROI.

Anyone old there using old gear? What you got? Tips?

(Not a fan of ABU Garcia. It's ABU Svangsta for me)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rockynavan

i fish whit a arnald monach center pin 1981 for roach whit modern avon rod snaped to many vintege rods just not wort it any more but monach is bulletproof ill have it for life lovely way to fish but the year of tangels before you get it right will drive you mad lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

centre pin. wow. that's retro! nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I have an old (well used) K.P. Morritts Intrepid De Luxe with bone handle - circa 1960 that I still use regularly when I take the kids out - its combined with a split cane rod of the same era - reel was apparently purchased for 48 pence sterling.

intrepid1.jpg

intrepid2.jpg

Very nice. I have a kp morritt intrepid sea streak multiplier from the 70's. chunky piece of kit, but it has its charms. must give it a spin in killiney beach now that i see what you're using.

nice job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

uvox wrote: »
    Anyone doing something similar? I've found fresh water, varnished rings, and WD40 is the guy for tackle survivability, but the rings on ABU vintage rods are the weak spot. E-bay is the place, UK site is the best source, though sadly most sellers wont ship outside of their region even to the ROI.

Check this out ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I have an old ABU 403 Atlantic zoom bought in 1976 from Rorys. Cost me £21 back then. I use it with a Cardinal 40 reel which was the cheapest of the ABU cardinals back then. Around about £9. They were a novelty as they had the clutch on the rear on a numbered dial. ABU gear was expensive back then but has stood the test of time.

Also have a couple of vintage Mitchell reels from early 70's which i still use...

A man (I guess) after my own heart. I used a 403 upside down with an Ambassadeur 7000 for years as a kid - for float fishing from the coal quay in Dun Laoghaire (DL) pier - dozens of mackerel on it. Thumped out a couple of mackerel on my 403S and 6500c from the bandstand on DL pier two weeks ago. Bought another 403S on ebay.co.uk last week. Super gear if well looked after.

I have an old Mitchell 300 fixed spool I got from Lilly (remember her? And Rose? And the Alsatian dog?) in the ABC in Dublin in 1978. Didn't fare as well over time as the ABU stuff, probably lack of care on my part, and paint peeled, but it still works. Around 1978, the whole telescopic rod thing took off in DL, and I switched to lighter tackle, using a Mitchell 206 fixed spool. Still cranking - it was mostly plastic, unlike the 300...

Keep those handles turning! We should form a hipster retro tackle tart club. I'd say a few of us might even have free travel to the meetings by now! LOL.

Great stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Granite Head

I still use my first rod (@1978 Daiwa A3110-7), now for trolling.

I also have my first reel, again @1978 Prince (DAM 1013). Unfortunately in one of my many house moves I have lost the handle for it. Any ideas where I could pick up a replacement handle? Does'nt have to be an original, just something that will work the reel.

Love to pass on the above set up to "Junior" for their first fishing trip

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, Muirean Bradley, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Melts Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, St. Vincent, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Vampire Weekend, Fontaines DC, Amble

neat. probably a Saved Search alert on ebay is your best bet (e.g., nothing there now, but http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p4069.m570.l1313&_nkw=Prince+D.A.M.&_sacat=0)

Advertisement