Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord regulation in Ireland?

Options
  • 16-07-2012 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

Do you think landlord regulation in Ireland is up to scratch or even existent? For many years I lived in america so Im not sure about the situation in Ireland at the moment. However I work with students from disadvantaged backgrounds as I mentioned here before and some of the things that they have reported have been:

• Landlords diverting their mail (didnt know that was possbile). This was done so the landlord didnt have to declare the tenant.
    • Landlord lying about living in the house (when he met the tenant he didnt tell him he lived there and the house was advertised as "not being owner occupied")
    • The same landlord then trying to move his brother in and give the student three days notice
    • one landlord had cameras all over the house and played them back at the end of the day (which Im not sure is illegal just creepy).
    Now as I said im not to up on Irish law and in fairness the uni was very helpful in sorting these people out with alternative accomodation. Also Im not talking about reporting a landlord because personally I wouldnt do that over tax reasons. I would if a tenant was being evicted unfairly though. Im just wondering how well regulated are landlords in this country. In America theres a ratemylandlord website thats very helpful to prospective tenants but theres only one or two Irish entries on there. Also is the PRTB effective at representing tenants in everyones opinion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

There are plenty of laws and regulations out there. You should start reading up on them. Threshold is also good.

The PRTB is not there to protect tenants, but is there to be impartial, between landlord and tenant. In the same way that a tenant can lodge a dispute, a landlord can also lodge a dispute.

As for tax issues, etc, that is separate from the PRTB duties and should not come in to consideration when lodging a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Paulw wrote: »
    There are plenty of laws and regulations out there. You should start reading up on them. Threshold is also good.

The PRTB is not there to protect tenants, but is there to be impartial, between landlord and tenant. In the same way that a tenant can lodge a dispute, a landlord can also lodge a dispute.

As for tax issues, etc, that is separate from the PRTB duties and should not come in to consideration when lodging a complaint.

No as I said I wouldnt like to bring that up even If I had a landlord problem (I dont know what financial trouble he/she might be in). All the issues I mentioned above have been sorted anyway. I was just trying to get a feel of peoples experience of renting.

Advertisement