Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it possible to get unbaptised?

• 16-07-2012 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to get unbaptised? Unconfirmed? UnCommunised (is that even a word). I was baptised as a child. I dont remember consenting to that. I dont want anything to do with the church. I am a very spirtual person but in my own way.
    So is it possible to get unbaptised?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

If you don't believe it, all that happened was some dude poured water on your head and you said some stuff.
    No further action needed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

not anymore. just don't go to the church.

/thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The only way to do it is to **** off a bishop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

If you really want to change ure name, just use the close account function- Then reregister -easy really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

1. You were baptised as I child? I thought everyone was automatically a child? Didn't think you needed to be baptised as one.
    2. who cares

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I am a very spirtual person but in my own way.
    I never quite know what this is supposed to mean. You don't buy in to the god stuff, but you are spiritual? What is spiritual, and what is the link to religion that one needs to feel "Oh but I am spiritual". What is the need for this nebulous phraseology? It says nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

You didn't consent to it? Stop taking yourself so seriously. By not practicing your religion you are effectively denouncing it. Job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

What were you thinking? Hedov or something like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Is it possible to get unbaptised? Unconfirmed? UnCommunised (is that even a word). I was baptised as a child. I dont remember consenting to that. I dont want anything to do with the church. I am a very spirtual person but in my own way.

The whole point is you don't consent when you are baptised. Your Parents make the choice. It is when you make your confirmation that you make your voluntary consent to being a catholic/Christian .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Big Mouth

Who the f*ck cares?

You didn't consent? Well I didn't consent to wearing an orange jumpsuit when I was two but I'm not going to call the fashion police

This place is full of middle class whiners, most people in real life are NOTHING like the boards lot.........thats why every poll here taken before voting (lisbon, lisbon 2, last euro poll) are always way off the mark.

STOP MOANING ON BOARDS. RANT OVER

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Could be worse OP, you could be a jewish lad trying to uncircumcise himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

"Is it possible to get unbaptised?"

I've heard it all now. No offense op, but wanting such a thing is just dumb. Really dumb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Big Mouth wrote: »
    Who the f*ck cares?

You didn't consent? Well I didn't consent to wearing an orange jumpsuit when I was two but I'm not going to call the fashion police

This place is full of middle class whiners, most people in real life are NOTHING like the boards lot.........thats why every poll here taken before voting (lisbon, lisbon 2, last euro poll) are always way off the mark.

STOP MOANING ON BOARDS. RANT OVER

The ironing is delicious

Big Mouth wrote: »
    Er, there are more people in Ireland than frequent boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Big Mouth

The ironing is delicious

Suppose so but how else can I get my point across? Pidgeon courier?

I consider myself a casual user not the self loathing middle class socially awkward hardcore "boardsie" who moans about **** like OP

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SloomyRengen

As far as the Catholic Church is concerned no. They claim ownership of your soul at baptism and this can never be reversed or changed. You can officially leave the church by filling out a form found here http://www.countmeout.ie/ .In practical terms this claim by them doesn't mean anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I never quite know what this is supposed to mean. You don't buy in to the god stuff, but you are spiritual? What is spiritual, and what is the link to religion that one needs to feel "Oh but I am spiritual". What is the need for this nebulous phraseology? It says nothing.

I medatate most days for a hour or so. I would call that spirtual but not religous. For me religion caused more problems than it solves
    "Is it possible to get unbaptised?"

I've heard it all now. No offense op, but wanting such a thing is just dumb. Really dumb.
    I am thinking of this tread more as an intelectual train of thought. Yes i can stop going to church and all the rest of it but my name is still down on there baptisim list and what have ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

You'll have to put in with god for a transfer I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I medatate most days for a hour or so. I would call that spirtual but not religous. For me religion caused more problems than it solves

I am thinking of this tread more as an intelectual train of thought. Yes i can stop going to church and all the rest of it but my name is still down on there baptisim list and what have ya.

If you think it was nonsense then baptism was someone pouring water on your head and nothing more and communion and conformation consisted of talking ****e to an eejit in a large box.

Make sure you state that you're not a Catholic on the Census and it's pretty much job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

There's also a giant book of jibberish on an alter beneath a statue of a dying man.

I wouldnt put too much stock into whats written down anywhere if I was you. I just accepted they were all a bit mental and chalked my involvement down to the fact I wasnt fully aware of the situation. Them crossing out my name means as little as them writing it in the first place.

But if they keep sending you those envelopes lookin money just send em back with a note telling them to fcuk right off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

No, you can try get yourself excommunicated or join another religion but the church, sneaky cunts that they are, changed canon law so you can no longer opt out of being a registered catholic. Get 'em young, the church's eternal motto.

This whole "if doesn't matter" thing doesn't wash with me, it DOES matter, if they didn't think it mattered they wouldn't have a problem letting people opt out of their particular brand of bullsh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Yes, I believe that according to Vatican II [although I could be wrong], you must click your heels three times and for every sacrament from which you wish to divest yourself repeat the following:
    There's no place like Rome,
    There's no place like Rome,
    There's no place like Rome.
    Slan abhaille!

I definitely agree on the religion front, find no credibility in any of it. It's just such a cliché for people nowadays when saying they're not religious, they're spiritual. Just looked up Secular spirituality which is such that it would apply to anyone. It isn't exactly a defining label. I mean, just like human, it isn't exactly going to be surprising/interesting/worth pointing out to anyone that one is human, and going by what this spirituality means, it ought to be no more a surprise.

It'll just have people who have some imagination of what spirituality means and presume you fit in the box. I get different answers to what spirituality is, and other answers include things like liking walking in forests, places with nice scenery, visiting historical landmarks, for instance. While that would be less the cup of tea of some people than "... in which the motivation is to live happily and/or to help others" we are still casting a very wide net with that definiton, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

only if you get baptised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

Change your name and never wash again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

you can not be baptised, if you did not give consent.......just class it as a failed swimming lesson........

as for confirmation......you cannot give a valid agreement at that age......(especially with a cane on your arse)...

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

I don't think so, but it's an interesting subject. Maybe you could petition the Vatican to annul your baptism on the grounds that it was non-consensual and therefore meaningless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Ms.M wrote: »
    If you don't believe it, all that happened was some dude poured water on your head and you said some stuff.
    No further action needed!

Because when they go to lobby the government they'll use the people who don't believe to bolster their numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

As a licenced lord of the dark arts (which I got recently over the internet) I can unbaptise you online for free.

Print out this page and walk backwards around the church 3 times on 12/12/12 at 12.12am then rub you fingers over the words below.

BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL, I AM NOW UNBAPTISED

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Thanks all for the replys. I know that they only have my name on a bit of paper that will never be seen again but By staying in the church are we not consenting to what they say/do/believe/whatever. I mean i only got thinking of this when while i was at baptisem the otherday but surly prederterming someones faith is wrong. IMO baptism should be left till your 18ish when you can have a proper opinion on your own spirtuality.

Are all the other sacurments made up? I only ever seen baptism mentioned in the bible (granted i haven't read it cover to cover :rolleyes:)

The way that the vatacain handled the child abuse was laughable. No response of note. I garnetuee that if they got a half million letters saying that writer wanted to be unbaptised on the grounds that he/she didn't give consent so legaly can not hold up, they would have given a proper response/appology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Have an anti-baptism. Dip your head into a basin of petrol, then put a match to your head. Should do the trick :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

OP: I think a lot of people misunderstand what baptism is. Namely, it is an outward sign of an inward spiritual motion. In most cases in the New Testament, it is a believers baptism - if someone accepts Jesus, and realises wholeheartedly that Jesus was nailed to the cross for their sin and rose three days later, so that they stand forgiven before God at the day of judgement, and that they have now given their lives to follow Him, and become a child of God once more, then baptism is a marker of what is to come.

Some people seem to think that baptising an infant is going to secure them as Christians, but it doesn't do anything of the sort. It is only God that brings people to Him. What I guess infant baptism could be a sign of is a commitment on the behalf of the Christian parents to raise their children in a godly home and by the living word of God, but it cannot be seen as a guarantee of commitment on the behalf of the child to follow Jesus.

More tragically, some people think they can be saved because they were baptised as an infant, but don't realise that one must repent of sin and turn to Jesus as their Lord, and their King rather than the ways of this world, and the god of this world.

I prefer adult baptism, but I'm not wholly opposed to infant baptism as long as we have a right perspective of what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Thanks all for the replys. I know that they only have my name on a bit of paper that will never be seen again but By staying in the church are we not consenting to what they say/do/believe/whatever. I mean i only got thinking of this when while i was at baptisem the otherday but surly prederterming someones faith is wrong. IMO baptism should be left till your 18ish when you can have a proper opinion on your own spirtuality.

Are all the other sacurments made up? I only ever seen baptism mentioned in the bible (granted i haven't read it cover to cover :rolleyes:)

The way that the vatacain handled the child abuse was laughable. No response of note. I garnetuee that if they got a half million letters saying that writer wanted to be unbaptised on the grounds that he/she didn't give consent so legaly can not hold up, they would have given a proper response/appology.

If you don't get them young you'll have a hard time brain washing them. The last thing any church would want is the task of convincing a population of adults free of trappings to choose a faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 GiveEmHellKid

In Christanity a sacrament is an outward showing of grace. Catholics recognise 7 sacraments which while may not be directly be referenced, are present in the bible.
    Jesus broke bread at the last supper - Eucharist
    Jesus was baptised by John the baptist- Baptism
    In the early days of the church elders where urged to pray over sick members of the congergation ( Paul may mentions it in a letter...)- Sacrament of the sick
    In Jesus's days people who where of authority (kings for instant) where marked with crism to set them aside as being chosen- Confirmation
    The bible Mentions people being set aside to do God's work - Holy Orders
    God's forgiveness is mentioned plenty of times - Penence
    In matriage two people are bonded with the blessing of god to carry on the mission of the church.
    Only Catholism recognises all 7. Most others recognise two (baptism and eucharist) as true becuase they are directly mentioned. The rest aren't "true sacraments" in a sense but are still of importamce in revealing the present transcendent.
    I'm in no way a practising Catholic nor am I an expert but I did however take Religion for the leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

You need a Rabbi, an Imam, a Monk and a Shaman to piss on you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I definitely agree on the religion front, find no credibility in any of it. It's just such a cliché for people nowadays when saying they're not religious, they're spiritual. Just looked up Secular spirituality which is such that it would apply to anyone. It isn't exactly a defining label. I mean, just like human, it isn't exactly going to be surprising/interesting/worth pointing out to anyone that one is human, and going by what this spirituality means, it ought to be no more a surprise.

It'll just have people who have some imagination of what spirituality means and presume you fit in the box. I get different answers to what spirituality is, and other answers include things like liking walking in forests, places with nice scenery, visiting historical landmarks, for instance. While that would be less the cup of tea of some people than "... in which the motivation is to live happily and/or to help others" we are still casting a very wide net with that definiton, too.

I consider 'spiritual' to mean not subscribing to an organised religion: I believe I'm spiritual as opposed to religious. It just means that I think there's something bigger than this, something that is beyond our capabilities of understanding, but I don't claim to have any idea what it is. I don't practice anything, but I believe in something. If that makes sense :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

phasers wrote: »
    You need a Rabbi, an Imam, a Monk and a Shaman to piss on you

Also goats blood and the musical stylings of Cannibal Corpse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

it is very easy.

Just Stop caring about the fact that you were baptised.

No one else does.

No One is forcing you to be a catholic, ok so the catholic church might still have some influence but they have nothing compaired to what they had before.

if you feel really strongly about it maybe you could try putting a notice in the local newspaper saying that you no longer wish to be considered a member of your religion.

then you could spend your time a bit better. if you could come up with a product and service that could employ approx 300,000 people and earn about 60 billion in taxes over the next couple of years that would be great.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Oaklilly

You can think to yourself that you've denounced it if you don't have confirmation?

Or change to a Muslim or a Buddhist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Bessiebee

I think before anyone can offer you any constructive advice on your options you may first need to clarify whether you were in fact baptised or christened :confused: There would appear to be a subtle difference and the consequences of going down the route of becoming unbaptised when you were in fact christened could possibly have huge ramifications :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

But if you get unbaptised you'll go to limbo :eek:

oh wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Kill yourself

And then you win. Congratulations, you are officially unbaptised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Bessiebee wrote: »
    I think before anyone can offer you any constructive advice on your options you may first need to clarify whether you were in fact baptised or christened :confused:There would appear to be a subtle difference and the consequences of going down the route of becoming unbaptised when you were in fact christened could possibly have huge ramifications :eek:

I hear its like when the Nazis opened the Ark and all their faces melted.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Just tell jc that his product's warranties show some apparent ambiguities that may not deliver their full fireproof guarantees and forthwith a cessation of communications begins now. i did because i found another shop that does'nt discourage discussing the purchases ..quite the opposite discussion is heartily encouraged even mandatory ....and if he answers you ....i've got a new problem .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

sheesh wrote: »
    it is very easy.

Just Stop caring about the fact that you were baptised.

No one else does.

No One is forcing you to be a catholic, ok so the catholic church might still have some influence but they have nothing compaired to what they had before.

if you feel really strongly about it maybe you could try putting a notice in the local newspaper saying that you no longer wish to be considered a member of your religion.

then you could spend your time a bit better. if you could come up with a product and service that could employ approx 300,000 people and earn about 60 billion in taxes over the next couple of years that would be great.
    :D

Its not that simple to just 'forget'. You see, in effect, rightly or wrongly we have all been brainwashed from the earliest possible age to believe in the catholic church and its teachings. Growing up, it was as important in our development as learning to walk, talk and learning the alphabet. remember all those stories about doubting Thomas and to feel sorry for non believers? effectively we are all so far gone into this thing that even if we declared ourselves atheists we would still feel a certain 'guilt' or 'doubt' underlying so deeply ingrained in our subconscious that we will never fully be able to get rid of. Perhaps hypnotherapy may work i dunno.

WumBuster wrote: »
    Its not that simple to just 'forget'. You see, in effect, rightly or wrongly we have all been brainwashed from the earliest possible age to believe in the catholic church and its teachings. Growing up, it was as important in our development as learning to walk, talk and learning the alphabet. remember all those stories about doubting Thomas and to feel sorry for non believers? effectively we are all so far gone into this thing that even if we declared ourselves atheists we would still feel a certain 'guilt' or 'doubt' underlying so deeply ingrained in our subconscious that we will never fully be able to get rid of. Perhaps hypnotherapy may work i dunno.

I never said forget it i said to stop caring.

really what I am saying is that this is just who you are as a result of your upbringing getting a fake cermony to unbaptise yourself is not really going to change anything about. you will just have to accept yourself as you are now change what you can and stop regretting the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

WumBuster wrote: »

Yes it is.

Also, if people were actually brainwashed, how do you explain the amount of people who've just thought about it for a bit and then gone 'nah it's all bollox'.

Nobody's been brainwashed!

This is getting really fcuking irritating. 'Oh I didn't consent to being batptised' etc...

...Don't give to the church, don't go, don't have your damn wedding in a church presided over by a priest (hypocrites).

Simple.

after hours answer: yes if you kick bishop brennen up the arse he will excomunicate you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

No it isn't. There used to be a procedure where you could have your defection added to the baptismal register but the number of Irish people in Ireland who opted to defect was so high that the RCC changed cannon law to not allow it any more.

So while the answer is not what you wanted to hear at least you know that you are very far from alone in wanting to officially defect. If you want to find out more about it I honestly recommend maybe taking a look on the Atheism & Agnosticism forum as that's probably where most on the genuine discussion on boards.ie about the defection process took place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Suzie4

Look just cello tape a dogs bowl filled with water to your head and when you see a priest in the street run up to him and shake your head violently ,covering the priests head with water..There you go..UNBAPTISM.

• Advertisement
Advertisement