Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

public liability insurance increase

Options
  • 16-07-2012 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

hey all,
    my partner has public liability insurance and has had a claim against him due to taps freezing and leaking as a result of freezing weather (he's a plumber) and a clergyman is claiming for damage to property. This claim is currently unsettled yet my partner has received a renewal quote for nearly double what he initially paid from €800 to €1500). The actual insurance company have never contacted him with any updates or feedback, only the broker he went through so cannot understand how this renewal sum is justified.
    Anyone any experience or advice in this area, it would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Is this a serious post? :rolleyes: Cause in the legal industry this would be classed as "an act of god", so a clergy suing is pretty ironic.

Insurance seems to be up a lot this year in general due our great government finding new ways to tax businesses already on their knees. Would he not just shop around for a better quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 micki1983

ok my partner now tells me that actually the priests insurance company paid out his claim but they are now following my partners insurance for faulty parts supplied. Wouldnt the priests insurance company have to provide an independent expert that reviewed the damage to prove that it was tradesmans fault or some kind of evidence that my partner is to blame. Is there any legislation I can look up about this that anyone knows of?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

wouldnt this be covered by building insurance?

doesn't PL cover slips and accidents involving people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ICCM

sounds more like professional imdemnity as the faulty parts were supplied as part of a repair service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Public Liability generally covers product iability for parts supplied. It would have to be proved that the plumber was neglegent in order for a recovery claim to take place. A frozen pipe bursting would not constitute neglegence in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

He won't be able to move insurers with an unsettled claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jessica2285

Public liability insurance covers you for any injury you cause to someone or damage of third party property during the course of your occupation. For this PLI to pay out, it would need to be proved that your partner has been legally negligent. As mentioned, if there has been a claim raised this may cause problems obtaining insurance elsewhere and may also cause temporary increase in premium if it has unfortunately coincided with a renewal (the insurer would have to assume the worst case scenario and charge the premium on this basis but if it is settled with no payments then the premium should revert to what it would have been without the claim looming and a large refund would come your way). If this was indeed property damage due to a faulty part fitted then a liability policy should cover this. The liability insurer would normally pay out then seek to recoup their losses from the part supplier. If successful in recovering all their losses the claim should once again not go against your partner. All that can be done is to suffer the additional cost and hope that the claim is settled with no costs to your insurer. SOURCE: I have been working at a Public Liability Insurance company for over 10 years

The current insurers have stated that even if the claim against him is unsuccessful he wont be refunded the €700 extra that his policy has risen by. What is so annoying is that the insurers have not once made contact with him (only the broker he went through) and he has to keep chasing them for updates. The laughable part of the claim is that the tap burst ONE YEAR after he fitted it. He has made it clear that he is looking for proof that he was at fault. He is in a difficult position now as renewal is due in one week and he cannot proceed work without PLI in case there is a legitimate claim in the future and he is feels like the insurance company is aware of this and taking advantage as they are refusing a refund should he win this case. We are looking to see if there is some sort of Insurance Regulator to complain to as the insurance company are treating him like dirt. He met a solicitor about 6 months ago and he said in a condescending tone "this is a priest we are talking about" as if the priests word was gospel!!!
    Excuse my rant...
    Thanks for all the input everyone, greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ICCM

micki1983 wrote: »
    "this is a priest we are talking about" as if the priests word was gospel!!!

any pun intended?

totally intended, i was pretty chuffed with that one!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 jessica2285

If the €700 extra they are charging you is due to a potential claim then if the claim is closed with no costs then you ARE entitled to a refund and I would argue this point with them. If they continue to refuse then there has to be another reason for this increase which they will need to justify. A general rate increase may at most be 10% on last years price so nowhere near €700! It seems that it is unlikely it will be proved to be his fault taking into account the circumstances (mainly the timescales involved). Unfortunately this does not mean anything at the moment as it is still a potential claim against you until it has been closed.

Advertisement