Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leslie Davies - the best player in Europe for the 2011/12 season?

• 16-07-2012 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭

A player for Bangor City in Wales has managed to make it on to the 32 man shortlist for UEFA's Best Player in Europe Award for last season.

Leslie Davies managed to score 16 goals in the league last season. Not a bad return for a winger. He managed 3 more than Mario Balotelli and he wasn't far off the likes of Messi and Ronaldo.

He's on the list with the likes of Xavi, Messi, CRonaldo, Casillas, Pirlo, Aguero, Kompany and Toure.

It's incredible that he ever managed to make the list. According to UEFA the voting system is like this:
    a jury of journalists from each of UEFA's 53 member associations has provided a list of their best-ranked players. The players are ordered from one to five, with the first receiving five points, the second four points and so on.

I presume that a Welsh journalist put Davies in there for the laugh, but how he gained enough points to get onto the list is beyond me. I highly doubt that anyone else voted for him so it's probably reasonable to assume that he made the list after gaining a mere 5 points in the voting.

I found a video of one of his goals from last season and it's pretty brilliant. It might be a cross that ended up being a shot but we won't take it away from him. It's right at the start of the video.

I'm going over to Bangor next year to go to college there and I'll be going to a few of their matches. Hopefully Les will be there next season, but I've a feeling he could be off in Italy or Spain playing for one of the big clubs out there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Was just going to post about it.

Here's a pic of him, not that anyone needs reminding of such a household name.

IMG_3049-650x406.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Liverpool are making a 35 Million Pound bid for him i heard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

MD1990 wrote: »

+ Andy Carroll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

MD1990 wrote: »

you heard wrong my good man....its 40million...he is rumoured to be better than Carroll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

double GG wrote: »
    Was just going to post about it.

Here's a pic of him, not that anyone needs reminding of such a household name.

IMG_3049-650x406.jpg

1,2,3,4,5 yellow jerseys ****ting themselves,

Very Iniesta like this picture!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

I found a video of one of his goals from last season and it's pretty brilliant. It might be a cross that ended up being a shot but we won't take it away from him. It's right at the start of the video.

I definitely think he meant it to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

1,2,3,4,5 yellow jerseys ****ting themselves,

Very Iniesta like this picture!

Hopefully Darkman will be along to make a thread about him soon :P.

Great achievement for Davies anyway, and a great advertisement for the Welsh league. It's being reported on by NBC and the Washington Post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

He's got my totally unbiased vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

he wasn't far off the likes of Messi and Ronaldo.

Ah he was Ted.

I wonder how Gareth Bale must be feeling. According to this Davies seems to be the best Welsh winger over the past season. Could Les force his way into the Welsh squad on the back of this news? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

If I'm honest we need all we can get for the wings. after Bale, Ledley and maybe Robson-Kanu we've nothing.

Who was the last player to play for Wales while he was playing for a team in the Welsh league?

I know the likes of Clayton Blackmore and Neville Southall have played for Welsh teams but that was after their international career had ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Three boys from Llanelli AFC (what a fun word to say) have Welsh caps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jenkins 16 Caps
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Legg 6 Caps
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Bowen_(footballer) 2 Caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

No Davies on the shortlist.

Jokeshop.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/european/2012/0814/333584-iniesta-messi-and-ronaldo-niminated/

[Also like the typo in the URL slug!]

Went to my first Bangor match today and the big man himself was playing. He had a brilliant game. One goal, an assist and he rattled the crossbar in the second half.

He dominated in the air. I reckon he went up for a header near enough to 50 times in the whole game and he only lost out twice. They couldn't deal with him at all. It was like Fellaini against United a few weeks back.

His goal came straight from a corner, and naturally enough he scored it with his head. His chance in the second half was with his head as well. His assist for the goal was very nice. Did well to get his head up and see the free player and then execute the pass.

He doesn't appear to be in the greatest shape and his overall play lacks the finesse of Messi and Xavi, but he's not too bad.

Advertisement