Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child minder costs. How much & how does it work?

Options
  • 16-07-2012 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi Folks,
    We are considering switching from a creche in a town where my wife works, to a childminder in our own home, to avoid all the packing bags and screaming car journeys.
    My questions are how much is the rate for a childminder for two kids (1 & 3) in a country village. Our 3 year old would be in pre school for the morning. They would be minded in our own home, along with the childminder's own young child. She has her qualifications, and has previously worked in a creche.
    What daily rate should she expect to earn, and are bank hols, holiday and sick pay normally given in these circumstances?
    If there is any other related advice you would care to give, we'd appreciate it.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭PammyD

I know a girl who has kids d same age and pays €180 for 4 days a week to a childminder..

I dont think there is a "set" rate in my experience its what u agree upon, then also take into consideration what ul have to buy each week for the child ie nappies etc, whether ul provide meals or the childminder will..
    My son is with a member of family who is a childminder and he goes 2 days a week when i work, I send yoghurts, fruit and a few other bits but he gets his dinner in the childminders where as another child there gets her dinners sent in with her..
    Some people pay for holidays where some dont, its all down to agreements with the minder in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭PammyD

Apologies i just read its in ur own home so ul have food and whats needed to hand so that would cut a cost of buying extra

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Runner Bean1

Thanks PammyD

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If it is in your home you are legally obliged to pay minimum wage and their prsi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Runner Bean1

Hi,
    Has anyone else any exeperience of this, and what the pay should be?

Thanks,
    RB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Hi,

Thanks,
    RB

I know someone who has worked as a childminder for many years. She will only mind children in her own home, never the child's. As mentioned above, in the child's home, she would be an employee, subject to PAYE, PRSI, etc. Working from home is more lucrative and far more straightforward for her; you can apparently earn quite a bit a year childminding without being subject to tax, and obviously she can mind several kids at once in her own house. I would be surprised if you could find an experienced childminder willing to work in your home for these reasons; it would also result in a fair bit of extra expense - minimum wage - and paperwork for you with Employer's PRSI, etc. An au pair is a very different arrangement and might work well if you have a spare room and really want the child minded at home.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

In your own home you can earn 15k tax free and you just pay a set amount of prsi.
    In your home you need to work out the hours x by the minimum wage,work out prsi and then you have your minimum figure which is usually about 400 euro a week.

Hi,

Thanks,
    RB

No need to repeat a question on thread,especially while people are giving you answers.

Advertisement