Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A companion for my rabbit

• 16-07-2012 10:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭

I have a two year old lion head rabbit. She has a 4' two storey hutch but runs free from morning till evening every day in the garden.This year she has started pulling out a lot of her fur and mixing it with the straw and hay to make a " nest" within her hutch which I think is part of her natural instinct to breed.So to try and stop the fur pulling I am going to get her neutered but it has got me thinking that she must be lonely as well because if nesting is a natural instinct for her surely companionship is as well.

Do any fellow boardies here know if it would be ok to bring in another lion head to live with her?could they share the same hutch ? I would get the new rabbit neutered once it was ready as well.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Get a ferret :D

I'm only jokin lion heads are pretty calm when it comes to others livin in same space as them so another lion head would be grand even another breed would be ok as long as its male and it's up to you to have it neutered another fenale may trigger a few scuffles and your hutch is grand size to hold two rabbits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Another rabbit would be fine.
    Or one of the larger rodents, a guinea-pig perhaps.

Though, once the rabbit is neutered you will notice it become more docile anyway so you may find a companion unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I have a lionhead myself, she got a friend a few weeks ago, English Loop. Both of them are female...just the odd fight, but nothing serious.

But I heard a few times, that rabbits and guinea pigs are not going on well together, I would be careful with that, tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Please do not get a guinea pig as a companion for your rabbit.

They should not be kept together at all. They have different dietary needs for starters, also a rabbits idea of play can be too boisterous for a pig. One rabbit kick to the head or spine and you will have a dead/paralysed pig.

Another lion head should be ok. Just make sure they have plenty of space so there's no squabbles.

Advertisement