Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jet Stream is moving North at last !

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

mike65 wrote: »
    Latest GFS runs look better for first week August but it'll have changed back to yellow/green muck by this afternoon I expect.

One thing I have noted, like in the winter (in reverse), the better weather always seems to be a week to 10 days away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

True! Its a right tease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

DOCARCH wrote: »
    One thing I have noted, like in the winter (in reverse), the better weather always seems to be a week to 10 days away!

Unfortunately people on here tend to get carried away with themselves sometimes and start predicting weather trends and patterns that quite frankly are just never going to materialise. Then we, the gullible fools, all start believing it.

I understand this is a weather forum for people to discuss forecasts etc. and that forecasting is by no means an exact science, but personally I'd prefer if more people on here would just give more genuine 5 to 7 day forecasts instead of 'hope casts'! My fault too for logging on so often I guess. Sometimes you never know whether you can trust a forecast on here as a lot of the people seem so biased towards certain types of weather :rolleyes:

Anyway, Darkman2's forecast was spot on for these past few days week. So fair play to him. Nothing's changed in Ireland weather wise and the jet steam ain't gone no where. I note from the BBC forecast that high pressure is even beginning to build back over Iceland again so it's a return to the weather pattern we've had all summer.

I will say that the weather in Dublin has been OK the past few days. Much milder, a bit of sun, and slightly above average temps for once. Although today it's back raining - just in time for the Madonna concert this evening :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

compsys wrote: »
    Unfortunately people on here tend to get carried away with themselves sometimes and start predicting weather trends and patterns that quite frankly are just never going to materialise. Then we, the gullible fools, all start believing it.

Time for another map so! :p

633720214223844260-optimism.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Some nasty rain heading into the west now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Murky and very low cloud in Cork again today yet quite warm. However looks like we're going to get a break from all this mistiness at the weekend and hopefully into the start of August too if this forecast is to be believed, it seems to indictate the breakdown of the Jet Stream over Ireland.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Cork/long.html

Just watching the forecast is depressing me now. I'm not going to do so again for the rest of the week. No wetterzentrale, no nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

mike65 wrote: »
    Just watching the forecast is depressing me now. I'm not going to do so again for the rest of the week. No wetterzentrale, no nothing.
    Have you seen the current satellite image? ....... now THAT'S what I call depression!! GET ME OUTTA HERE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Bring a tear to a glass eye.....
    Image around noon today. Time for a holiday me thinks.

214561.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭J6P

00z GFS is a shocker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

J6P wrote: »
    00z GFS is a shocker.
    so is ME's latest forecast. So much for dry settled warm weather that was forecast last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

It's just depressing altogether only last Friday MT predicted there was a high chance of a heat wave this week!!!
    Where did it all go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Munstermac

At this stage I'm as likely to listen to someone using sheep entrails to predict the weather as I am to listen to professional forecasters.

My disappointment with the summer weather so far is only matched by my disappointment with forecasters inability to reliably predict anything beyond 48 hours at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

It is tough. I am in bad need of getting a digger on to my back garden for a new septic tank. Can't go near it at the moment its so water logged.

At this rate with the Autumn fast approaching, it will be next year before I get to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Watching London baking on Sky's Olympic news coverage last night had me in bad form for the evening. At this stage we should be world experts in coping with paltry summers, but it ain't getting any easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Its all rather depressing as I find myself wishing away yet another "summer" - it doesn't help that virtually every other spot on the planet in our latitude has enjoyed their fair share of heatwaves in the last few years, we just seem to be stuck on the wrong side of the jet stream at this time of year for several years now. TM airmasses have become astonishingly rare during the summer months over Ireland - in contrast we spent virtually the entire winter 2011/12 under a TM airmass which meant no snow/frost!!. All very frustrating for those who like "proper" seasons:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Isn't it about time we close this thread now and migrate to the Winter 2012/2013thread?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Munstermac

For me the most depressing aspect of the weather over the last number of years is the fact that we now approaching a whole generation of children who are being deprived of the ability to simply go outside and play during the summer months in a manner befitting proper summer play (i.e. shorts, t-shirts, hose pipes, paddleing pools, slides, dry grass etc.)

Yes you can dress them up to compensate for the weather and kick them out but it's just not the same and alot of the time it's just not worth it because of the cold, rain and inevitable coughs, colds, sore throats etc.

I have an 11 year old and it's looking like she's going to go through her entire childhood without ever experiencing anything approaching a proper summer.

Hope the 2 year old will have better luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I like the current weather we are having.

Slightly wetting than I want but I am enjoying the cooler temperatures. It is easer to work in and keeps the boss off my back for slowing down when it gets too hot.

I just hope the winter will be colder again. I lve frosty days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

leahyl wrote: »
    Isn't it about time we close this thread now and migrate to the Winter 2012/2013thread?:pac:
    Or just use this thread for the winter thread because knowing our luck the jet will go north for it's winter hols

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

While it has been a slightly worse summer than normal, its the same story every single year with people complaining that we don't get Mediterranean weather, typical Irish summer weather is cool and cloudy with rain and aside from more rain than usual its been a pretty standard Summer, around here anyway.

Warm with high cloud and plenty of sunshine today and temperatures have been above 25C in the south east this week, not all doom and gloom!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Harps wrote: »
    While it has been a slightly worse summer than normal, its the same story every single year with people complaining that we don't get Mediterranean weather, typical Irish summer weather is cool and cloudy with rain and aside from more rain than usual its been a pretty standard Summer, around here anyway.

Warm with high cloud and plenty of sunshine today and temperatures have been above 25C in the south east this week, not all doom and gloom!

People were spoiled by years on nice weather and expect it to be like that every year. It is like Snow lovers got spoiled in December 2010 and nothing but the same will do now.

It was cloudy here in Naas but the sun is coming out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

I can assure you it hasn't being hitting 25 in the south east all week, Its has being non stop rain and mist all week very depressing:(

Its been a total washout down here, shows how people think the weather is grand just cos its fine for them! Also its probably the most humid summer since 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I can assure you it hasn't being hitting 25 in the south east all week, Its has being non stop rain and mist all week very depressing:(

Jonestown Castle has only had around 4mm of rain in the past week, we've had plenty more than that here yet I've still managed to spend plenty of time outdoors

I'm not saying its been great, far from it obviously but what do you expect in Ireland? We get one or two good summers a decade and even a 'good' summer has its fair share of cloud and rain. Live with it and enjoy the rare occasions we get a good day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Not quite true, the temps got up to 25c on one day only and that was in the Dublin area due to a fohn or the micro climate caused by the Wicklow mts.
    13mm yesterday and about 10mm of that fell in about one hour.
    Overall a s***e summer. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Nice day today here again with hazy sun since mid morning, yesterday was wet but the previous few days were great. Been lovely summer weather overall last week in Dublin south.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I'm wondering about the effect of this weather on farming. as a gardener, I'm picking off mildewed leaves, my runner beans and toms are not getting pollinated and I have blight on the tomatoes. Would this weather have been similar as 1845?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

We in the limerick area had to put up with mainly dull weather since last Sunday afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Ate dinner out on the patio in warm sunhine for i think the 5th day today in the last week, its been better than usual weather in this part of the country.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement