Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jet Stream is moving North at last !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Supercell wrote: »
    Ate dinner out on the patio in warm sunhine for i think the 5th day today in the last week, its been better than usual weather in this part of the country.

Its been lashing rain all day here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

I had to reply to the people on here that keep saying this is "normal" summer weather for Ireland, and that we should not be expecting medditeranean temps.
    Its not the bloody norm!
    Just ask any farmer, turf cutter, etc in Ireland and they will let you know all about this summer. Ok, we dont have wall to wall sunshine every year, but there is always a period where it remains dry and reasonably warm, at some stage in our summers.
    Every summer since 2006 is just getting worse, and this bull about been a normal Irish summer, well......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Made a gif of the cloud cover every day since the 1st of july, there's hardly a day when the country isn't under a blanket of cloud.

9MKUH.gif

It stops on today at (7 UTC) but just refresh to start it again or click click here to view it on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Seems to be a lot more cloud about alright, I wonder is this the Earth's way of compensating for less light being reflected back into space by the disappearing artic ice?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Big Tone wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot more cloud about alright, I wonder is this the Earth's way of compensating for less light being reflected back into space by the disappearing artic ice?

Probably right - if you read into this :
    Satellite observations earlier this month have revealed a dramatic and unprecedented level of ice melt in Greenland. Scientists say an estimated 97 percent of Greenland's ice sheet surface, from its thin, low-lying coastal edges, to its two miles thick centre, thawed at some point in mid-July. They are still examining the data to determine what's behind the event as Ben Gruber reports

http://www.reuters.com/video/2012/07/25/satellites-reveal-dramatic-summer-ice-me?videoId=236659484&videoChannel=6

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Warm and sunny again today...

Just looking at the summer data since 2005, most of which have supposedly been awful; last year is the only summer that was cooler than average, only three have been wetter than normal and sunshine has generally fluctuated every year. Obviously that doesn't tell the whole story but it just backs up the fact that our recent summers haven't been that far departed from the long term average

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Little off topic but if you read from the source its nothing unexpected
    http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/greenland-melt.html
    "Ice cores from Summit show that melting events of this type occur about once every 150 years on average. With the last one happening in 1889, this event is right on time," says Lora Koenig, a Goddard glaciologist and a member of the research team analyzing the satellite data. "But if we continue to observe melting events like this in upcoming years, it will be worrisome."

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Its pretty much constant drizzle here..
    I cant remember it being like this during the 90's, That's not to say that it was always sunny but i remember having a few weeks of dry weather pretty much every summer.

It really is the biggest downside of this country and although i should have accepted the reality of our weather by now it is still rather annoying to look out at cloud all through the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

stevenf17 wrote: »
    Little off topic but if you read from the source its nothing unexpected
    http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/greenland-melt.html

odd you got no melting in places that melted last year , most noticeable in the southern tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Models this morning make for depressing viewing as we head into August - back to the same old, same old:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Munstermac

Yep. New Zealand may be the land of the Long White Cloud but Ireland is definetly the land of the everlasting low pressure system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Except in winter, where the Azores high rules supreme :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

shootie wrote: »
    Except in winter, where the Azores high rules supreme :D.
    ........... and you can bet your house or anything else you want to bet that it will dominate next winter too!
    (I'll dig up this post sometime in the middle of next January)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Went for a walk yesterday and a cycle today and it was warm. This is a typical summer for Dublin so far. Warm with cool breeze, cloudy and the wver present chance of rain.

Not sure what people expect. We are an island surrounded by a warm ocean. Live with it. Dont complain every year. It gets boring.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The last few days were a welcome break from the doom and gloom we've had all summer but looks like were back into very unsettled weather conditions again with plenty of rain all next week and weekend which looks very cool and wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Gonzo wrote: »
    The last few days were a welcome break from the doom and gloom we've had all summer but looks like were back into very unsettled weather conditions again with plenty of rain all next week and weekend which cools very cool and wet.

Yeah - yesterday evening felt more like late October rather then late July. August in recent years have been very much an "Autumn" month so I'm already in that mode.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yup ive a feeling we've another washout August on the cards bringing us to the end of one of the worst summers in living memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

The jet-stream was mentioned and shown on RTE weather last night .

It is still around the same location and has not moved at all .

So looks like no end in sight to the unpredictable weather

It would want to move soon because the last thing we want is for present conditions to remain till October before it moves north allowing 4 months worth of Azores High to deliver another mild, dryish, snowless winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't mind that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

mike65 wrote: »
    I don't mind that!

Then it will go south again just in time for Summer and the process repeats.:D

I wouldn't mind that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Nabber wrote: »
    Went for a walk yesterday and a cycle today and it was warm. This is a typical summer for Dublin so far. Warm with cool breeze, cloudy and the wver present chance of rain.

Not sure what people expect. We are an island surrounded by a warm ocean. Live with it. Dont complain every year. It gets boring.

Bugger off..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I have to say today was one of the nicest days of the 'summer' so far here today with light winds, blue skies and fluffy white clouds. Took this shakey picture during the evening as some prefrontal cloud began to build up. (looking east) The clouds looked very defined due to the low humidity in the atmosphere.

215226.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I was surprised at the low temps today DE, it was really lovely until 8pm and with a great drying in sunlight ... but top temps maxed out around 17c in the Wesht even though I topped up me tan. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not sure if thread title should be ammended to read/add '.....we thought it would.....but it didn't!' :D Does not really look like the jet stream is going anywhere (except over us)!

Bump. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

The last few days were a welcome break from the doom and gloom we've had all summer but looks like were back into very unsettled weather conditions again with plenty of rain all next week and weekend which looks very cool and wet.
    we got no break from it in Cork bloody awful every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

we got no break from it in Cork bloody awful every day

Either lashing rain all day or grey and dreary. No fluffy blue skies !!! We have had maybe 3 days with actual sunshine since May. Never seen worse in my life.

EDIT: Also, never seen so much heavy rain here. Much more like the rain you get in say France - without the compensating sunshine of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

It would want to move soon because the last thing we want is for present conditions to remain till October before it moves north allowing 4 months worth of Azores High to deliver another mild, dryish, snowless winter.

Bring it on !!!! I can't wait for winter now, much nicer drier weather than summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 CorkMetMan

This July has easily been the most miserable that I can remember. Unrelentingly grey, wet and cool. Coming on the back of a disastrous June makes it even harder to bear.

I've just recorded the coolest July since 1988, itself the coolest July on record here.

And worse, August, or at least the start of it, looks to be a repeat performance from the charts tonight. Bloody awful would be an understatement to describe the weather here since 30th March.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

I check the rainfall predictor on the met eireann site most days-there seems to be a permanent rain cloud over cork -most other parts of ireland get a break for a day or 2 while we here are getting pissed on every day

Any part of the day where the rain may stop is between 6 and 9 or 1am to 7am -parts of the day imo when you cant do much

Advertisement