Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jet Stream is moving North at last !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

2xeu_jt.gif

Found this on the internet ....Its the jet-stream today .....Don't know how accurate it is though .

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Is eastern Europe - Czech / Germany a warmer / sunny place to live sunshine wise? The cold winters would be tough though. Anyone any info on it? Off topic country wise ~ please forgive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

uberalles wrote: »
    Is eastern Europe - Czech / Germany a warmer / sunny place to live sunshine wise? The cold winters would be tough though. Anyone any info on it? Off topic country wise ~ please forgive
    yes its generally much sunnier, drier and warmer in the summers, but the winters, especially eastern Europe can be very hard. I know last 2 years in southern Poland where my in laws are from the winters are extremely cold. Over a meter of snow and as low as -35c in January.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

I check the rainfall predictor on the met eireann site most days-there seems to be a permanent rain cloud over cork -most other parts of ireland get a break for a day or 2 while we here are getting pissed on every day

Any part of the day where the rain may stop is between 6 and 9 or 1am to 7am -parts of the day imo when you cant do much
    pissing here now while its fine everywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

pissing here now while its fine everywhere else

Sunny and warm here in Cork city now, must be easily 22 degrees in the sunshine but feels warmer with the humidity.

• Advertisement

Big Tone wrote: »
    Sunny and warm here in Cork city now, must be easily 22 degrees in the sunshine but feels warmer with the humidity.
    that lasted 2 hours-gonna miss out on the sun factor tomorrow fog and cloud

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Yup...Nice and warm here...Easily in the 20's..

Big lump of thick cloud though..

Suits Me fine,,I'm not a huge sun fan anyway,,although it's nice to have the heat even if it is only for a few days..

Another crap day in cork -cloudy dull and warm-thats as good as it gets here

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

@ Lemmy - you can't expect the weather to change in 1 minute! :p

DOCARCH wrote: »
    @ Lemmy - you can't expect the weather to change in 1 minute! :p
    Im going insane down here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Im going insane down here

I have a weather app on my phone that list the weather in Dublin,Cork,Galway,Limerick,Waterford,Sligo and Athlone and Cork always seems to be at least 2-3 degrees colder than the rest of the places mentioned is there a reason for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

I have a weather app on my phone that list the weather in Dublin,Cork,Galway,Limerick,Waterford,Sligo and Athlone and Cork always seems to be at least 2-3 degrees colder than the rest of the places mentioned is there a reason for this?

Probably because it seems to be generally cloudier and duller than the rest of the country this "Summer", I don't think we've had two consecutive decent sunny days since APRIL down here in the deep south! Even today, which is still forecasted to be good in Cork, sunny and warm, has started off very foggy and dull with drizzle..unless it picks up later today and tomorrow we can completely write-off this non event summer, at least in Cork anyway...rainfall for June was over 400% above normal in Cork alone!

Roll on September and an Indian Summer like that of 1985 which I remember well...a dull wet summer it was but a spectacular September and right up to the October bank holiday weekend that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Big Tone wrote: »
    Roll on September and an Indian Summer like that of 1985 which I remember well...a dull wet summer it was but a spectacular September and right up to the October bank holiday weekend that year.

Yes it was a fantastic Autumn that year. I remember it been the worst summer in my memory (1980-date)
    The wettest summer on record in the north west and then a record breaking fine spell in the fall

southerly winds near the coast etc-if you had to put up with the weather we get here youd go off your tree

2xeu_jt.gif

I think the jet-stream is creating havoc at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I think too many people are taking this jet stream movement too literally and posting individual snapshots of it without taking other factors into consideration. Even with the jet stream to our south, a high can still form in the northwest quadrant of it, so while we are on the poleward side of the temperature gradient that forms the jet stream, it does not mean that we will always get unsettled weather with it to our south. Likewise with it to our north.

As Britain leaves behind what looks to have been the coldest March for more than 50 years, forecasters are warning it will stay cold for another week at least.

Meteorologists are blaming the bad weather on the position of the jet stream, a narrow band of very strong winds which tends to move from west to east across the Atlantic, bringing our weather systems with it.

Sky News weather presenter Isobel Lang said: "The jet stream is currently displaced well to the south of its usual position across the north Atlantic and Europe, located across the Azores, Spain and the Mediterranean.

"So the UK will remain stuck in the cold air to the north and it's set to stay cold for at least another week.

Once again , the jet stream is been blamed for this cold snap :

http://news.sky.com/story/1072350/weather-jet-stream-blamed-for-uk-cold-snap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It been part of the picture, forced south by the plunge of the Arctic vortex.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Once again , the jet stream is been blamed for this cold snap :

How can a weather system that persists for two months be called a "snap"? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Quickelles wrote: »
    How can a weather system that persists for two months be called a "snap"? :confused:

2 months? Its only been cold for 3 weeks?

• Advertisement

March is the coldest on record in every station bar one, Feb also had some pretty chilly spells. Its been cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

mike65 wrote: »
    March is the coldest on record in every station bar one, Feb also had some pretty chilly spells. Its been cold.

And yet in the south there's been very little snow. Sickening (for those who like snow at least).

snaps wrote: »

It has been well below normal since mid February. :cool:

Some stats for South Dublin at 400ft asl.:

It's been a fairly snowy Winter overall - no heavy falls (here) but 18 days when snow was lying at 8am.

Jan: 20, 21
    Feb: 5,6,23,24,25,26,27
    March: 11,12,17,19,20,25,26,27, 28

That's six separate snow "episodes", all of which lasted two or more days. The deepest accumulation in all of this was only 7cm.

The last time the temp. reached 10c was the 16th February and there have been 48 days when air temp reached zero or below since 1st January - several more with ground frost - (though the absolute lowest in all this time was only -2.8c).

Quickelles wrote: »

In meteorology, a ''cold snap '' is a period of intensely cold and dry weather.

Therefore 3 months out of 12 , could be referred to as a cold snap .

No need to nitpick at a word .- take the full post in context .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

So when are we getting our summer????

jo06555 wrote: »
    So when are we getting our summer????

I think this year it will be July 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

look at those temperatures in Russia on the right of the chart, it looks like its 19c at Volgograd where the River Volga would have been frozen up to a few days ago, it just shows how quickly a land mass can heat up.

Reurmett.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭maw368

snaps wrote: »

AH not technically, may not feel cold to you personally but the last 12 months have seen over half the year with below average temperatures so yeah, cold! This winter... and spring has had significantly cold weather with some serious cold, freezing and er... 16ft drifts. But I am talking from the UK, pretty sure it's been similar for the UK though, people are still thinking because it hasn't been as cold as 2010 that it isn't really cold. Well average low temps for the whole of winter for the most of the UK is approx. 0 degrees and anything below zero is below average, in that context it has been significantly cold for end of Autumn almost all of winter, and the start of spring.

look at those temperatures in Russia on the right of the chart, it looks like its 19c at Volgograd where the River Volga would have been frozen up to a few days ago, it just shows how quickly a land mass can heat up.

I've been watching the 2m temps myself, looking for the blue to turn to orange, in a month we'll be wishing the easterlies were back!

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    I've been watching the 2m temps myself, looking for the blue to turn to orange, in a month we'll be wishing the easterlies were back!

They might still be here! :)

Advertisement