Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The hills are alive..........

Options
  • 16-07-2012 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,

Newish to Galway, want to get involved in hillwalking! Living in Salthill.
    Anyone know of any groups who meet? I've found a few online, however I'd like a group around the same ahem age profile as myself.....20s/30s!

Any info much appreciated!

GRMA!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

I think there's a club in Barna but the membership cost is pretty steep

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

There used to be a group that met up in Tonerys in Bohermore. Don't know if they still do it. I think they were more a walking group though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Sure tag along with the nearest person you see as you wander up SaltHill, TaylorsHill, ProspectHill, GentianHill, BlakesHill, BriarHill... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

try asking the university's mountaineer club, they might know of people to tag along with, eg postgrads, postdocs etc... www.nuigmc.com

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 hmaino

Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

hmaino wrote: »
    Hi all,

Anyone know of any groups who meet? I've found a few online, however I'd like a group around the same ahem age profile as myself.....20s/30s!

Any info much appreciated!

GRMA!

there is a new group in moyullen. check out facebook.

galway hillwalking club caters for a slightly older crowd.

sometimes, the best thing to do is get a few mates together and head out. where do you want to go?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

hmaino wrote: »

Ok if you havent done much hillwalking before or not in Ireland/Galway then I would inject a note of caution about just heading off. The Connemara hills are not like similar ranges elswhere in Western Europe. There are very few waymarked trails at height nor signposts. Regardless of the season, a mist can come down off the Atlantic very quickly. The terrain itself is not majorly challenging -when you can see where you are going- you rarely have to scramble or actually "climb" - but if conditions close in you need to know what you are doing if you don't want to maroon yourself on some cliffside.

You need a decent pair of boots, servicable wet gear and spare layers. The wet gear gets carried all year around.

You should try and hook up with a few folks who know what they are doing to start with.

If you want a "taster" Diamond hill in Letterfrack does have a track all the way up and down. The Burren is also more beginner friendly there are a good few "green roads" although the ground can be more challenging - the rock has fissures and cracks that can turn an ankle (you have to watch your feet more!)

Advertisement