Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times Headling tomorrow Re Wexford Roads

Options
  • 17-07-2012 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

The Irish Times Headline tomorrow (Tues) - "Major roads in Galway and Wexford included in €2bn plan"

I take it it's the Euro 1 route raising it's head again? or maybe just the Enniscorthy by-pass?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

* crosses fingers and hopes for a way around New Ross *

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

It's the Enniscorthy and New Ross by-passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

jd wrote: »

Woo-hoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Indeed -

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0717/breaking2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

ok great...what is happening with the new ross bypass... whats the plans for that exactly?? new bridge? tunnel or whats the story ? also the section of the m11 will only be from New ross to enniscorthy for now or will it go en route past wexford and on to rosslare?? or they are doing it in phases?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

The proposed By-pass, which includes a bridge crossing to the southwest of New Ross Town, has been approved by An Bord Pleanála.

It is envisaged that the completion of the Bypass, together with improvements to the N30 New Ross-Enniscorthy route, will increase accessibility to New Ross while also relieving congestion within the town centre.

Its a bridge according the the Development plan - quote above

Here's a map

newrossbypass.jpg

These two schemes are bundled together.
    Oylegate - Rosslare is a separate scheme

From the NRA :
    The proposed scheme is approximately 13.6 km in length commencing at the N25 in Glenmore at the eastern border of Kilkenny and crossing over the River Barrow via a new bridge into Wexford. The scheme provides a bypass of New Ross and ties-into the N30 at Corcoran's Cross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Don't hold your breath, the completion of the Arklow bypass from the Beehive was supposed to start early this year, not a sign of it yet. Listening to Howlin waffling on the news tonight, it seems to be tied in to the sale of State assets and other unquantifiables. More pie in the sky to keep the great unwashed from storming the Bastille..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I'd be surprised if we see any work started on these routes in the next 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

if the roads do come to light, thats good news... looks cool...so i wonder how much time that will cut off travel times to both dublin and the hellhole waterford. Wexford Town will Literally be the last big town or place in Ireland to actually get some proper motorway on it... thats what it feels like anyway.

Its good to see these projects happening anyway and the county will be finally be getting some way sorted. I think wexford town will be waiting a long time to get the rosslare bypass sorted out.

bmaxi wrote: »
    Don't hold your breath, the completion of the Arklow bypass from the Beehive was supposed to start early this year, not a sign of it yet.

It's been pushed out to October, I think the NRA and and Bam Balfour Beatty had a disagreement over the terms of the contract.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77459544

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I'd be surprised if we see any work started on these routes in the next 5 years.

Both to start by end 2014 :eek:

Seeing is believing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

if the roads do come to light, thats good news... looks cool...so i wonder how much time that will cut off travel times to both dublin and the hellhole waterford. Wexford Town will Literally be the last big town or place in Ireland to actually get some proper motorway on it... thats what it feels like anyway.

Its good to see these projects happening anyway and the county will be finally be getting some way sorted. I think wexford town will be waiting a long time to get the rosslare bypass sorted out.

Excuse moi!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Wexford politician in parish pump shocker!!!! :D Sounds too good to be true & probably will get cancelled by the next government just after construction starts:D

There's already a comment on the Irish Times article complaining about the works!!!! :rolleyes: Discrimination against the Wehst again LOL!

This is long overdue IMO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

It's been pushed out to October, I think the NRA and and Bam Balfour Beatty had a disagreement over the terms of the contract.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77459544

I had heard something about that but never heard anything about a new starting date. Is it definite this time or another aspiration?

http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/WicklowCountyCouncil/N11ArklowtoRathnew/SchemeName,16415,en.html
    The tender process for the PPP contract commenced with the publication of an OJEU Notice in June 2009. It is anticipated that contract award will take place in late summer 2012.

BAM are the preferred tenderer at this stage.

http://www.cisireland.com/ProjectDescription.aspx?id=985
    Start Date: 10/10/2012
    Finish Date: 10/10/2014

bmaxi wrote: »
    I had heard something about that but never heard anything about a new starting date. Is it definite this time or another aspiration?

Its aspiration , if you believe the Independent :
    For surely not even the most eager of six-year-olds has carefully written out its Santa's List by the third week in July?

But sure enough, our very own troika -- the Tricycle of Taoiseach, Tanaiste and Public Expenditure Minister -- was doing wheelies of excitement around the Government Press Centre yesterday as the much-heralded €2.25bn stimulus plan was unveiled.

Enda was first to the podium and announce all sorts of gift-wrapped goodies in an attempt to breathe life into the Tiny Tim that is the Irish jobs market.

He rattled off all sorts of projects -- there'll be shiny new roads and bypasses for places such as Co Wexford (where Brendan Howlin lives), and Galway (the home county of Eamon Gilmore)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I don't care that the media are taking cheap shots at politicians over this 'stimulus package' & the fact that the work will be taking place in the backyards of TD's,the only way to avoid this is to build the roads etc. in another country where TD's have no constituancies so the "parish pump politics" argument can be avoided.There was uproar when these projects were put on the backburner & now there's uproar (in certain media circles) 'cos they are going ahead.

I'm no lover of our govt. but I don't care so long as these roads are built ASAP.These days high speed links to the rest of the country are the lifeblood of any region and at the moment we don't have any,Enniscorthy & New Ross get choked with traffic (I detest driving through Enniscorthy due to the congestion)

Advertisement