Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raised veg patch newby

Options
  • 17-07-2012 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Just put the finishing touchs to my veg patch, I got a tonne of topsoil in my patch 8x4ft, I reckon im too late to start planting(completly new to veg gardens), So im wondering what can i do to get ready for next year, Should i rake in some poultry manure or plant green manure,
    Checked out the giy web got some good info there on planting and when to plant, but didnt see anything about getting started,
    Any help or tips would be great
    thanks Ronn,:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

You could try some lettuce or other quick cropping vegs now. Just to get something growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Still lots of things you can sow like various salad leaves, radish, spring onions, carrots, beetroot....

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭greengold9999

You could also try something like kale and perpetual spinach - you only need a couple of kale plants and they will do through the winter. Perpetual spinach is the same with 2 or 3 plants as you don;t harvest the whole plant just what you need.
    I only started myself a couple of years ago with 4 small raised beds - the biggest lesson I have learned is that for a lot of plants you are better to try to raise your seeds inside and plant out when they are ready - when you don't have a lot of space it is worthwhile to ensure better success. For some things you don't need to bother - salad, beetroot - but its worthwhile for a lot of plants.
    There were a couple of Irish gardening books that I find very handy and practical - if you want the names PM me and I will get them for you when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

thanks for the replys, think ill invest in a book caaled Growing vegatable for Dummies,:p:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

ronn wrote: »
    thanks for the replys, think ill invest in a book caaled Growing vegatable for Dummies,:p:p

And in my case..."How to tell whats a weed and whats a vegetable".

Oops...;):o:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement