Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best way too apply for one year canadian visa?

Options
  • 17-07-2012 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

hi,i was wondering would anyone know the best way too apply for a one year holiday visa for canada?
    It's just me and my boyfriend have looked on line about going through the canadian embassy ourselves but sure we can't even find how too apply throught them let alone filling out any forms.
    any tips would be greatly appreciated :) thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

** Moving to Living Abroad forum, where Canada visa questions go until Canada gets its own forum ****

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

msjess wrote: »
    hi,i was wondering would anyone know the best way too apply for a one year holiday visa for canada?
    It's just me and my boyfriend have looked on line about going through the canadian embassy ourselves but sure we can't even find how too apply throught them let alone filling out any forms.
    any tips would be greatly appreciated :) thanks

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

That page is your source for everything and should be considered the only factual information. You will see that the 2012 quota for Irish participants has been reached. The word on the street is that the 2013 program will begin mid December 2012. In the meantime you can look at this years step by step guide and the forms required, but it will be a guide, the form's will change and the application process may change slightly next year.

I assumed in my response that you are referring to a Working Holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 madmicky

How many visa's in total for Irish per year?

Was thinking of going to canada but prefer longer than a year or 2 and also heard from a few friends that 1 year visa is looked down on and if pos try and get permanent visa for better job prospects. Was wondering is ther any limit for the amount of permanent visa issued each year? i seen somewhere that there is usually only about 600 Irish people become permanet per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

madmicky wrote: »
    How many visa's in total for Irish per year?

Was thinking of going to canada but prefer longer than a year or 2 and also heard from a few friends that 1 year visa is looked down on and if pos try and get permanent visa for better job prospects. Was wondering is ther any limit for the amount of permanent visa issued each year? i seen somewhere that there is usually only about 600 Irish people become permanet per year.

Where on earth did your friends hear that? :confused:
    If you are lucky enough to qualify for a 1 year IEC visa then that means you aint a criminal and meet Canada's eligibility so that's nothing to be looked down upon!

In any interviews you would do let them know you are applying for the second year IEC visa and also discuss with them about LMO or provincal nominee process and if there company would consider such things. They will know you are serious about staying in the country. If they won't then pick a different job!

Don't think there is a limit but there are different requirements for each visa that you need to check out. Depends on your profession you could get a skilled workers visa and also depends on who your employer is as they need to meet certain requirements too.

The IEC quota goes up every year it seems with this year 5,350 visas being issued. Next year(as in this December) will probably be more. Check out that link the previous poster mention and seriously read each step by step. Get things like garda clearance forms and passport photos or renewal of passports sorted in time for the re-opening of the visas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    If you are lucky enough to qualify for a 1 year IEC visa then that means you aint a criminal and meet Canada's eligibility so that's nothing to be looked down upon!

In any interviews you would do let them know you are applying for the second year IEC visa and also discuss with them about LMO or provincal nominee process and if there company would consider such things. They will know you are serious about staying in the country. If they won't then pick a different job!

Don't think there is a limit but there are different requirements for each visa that you need to check out. Depends on your profession you could get a skilled workers visa and also depends on who your employer is as they need to meet certain requirements too.

The IEC quota goes up every year it seems with this year 5,350 visas being issued. Next year(as in this December) will probably be more. Check out that link the previous poster mention and seriously read each step by step. Get things like garda clearance forms and passport photos or renewal of passports sorted in time for the re-opening of the visas.

Tuds my local coppers are a bit thick) and I was reading thru all the blurb about the visa and I canni quite understand exactly what it is I need to go to them and ask for. I need to be 100 percent clear on it or I'll be round in circles for months with them!

• Advertisement

hdowney wrote: »
    Tuds my local coppers are a bit thick) and I was reading thru all the blurb about the visa and I canni quite understand exactly what it is I need to go to them and ask for. I need to be 100 percent clear on it or I'll be round in circles for months with them!

Check over my PMs I told ya in them, it's very simple.
    Just ask for a garda clearance form as you are leaving the country and need it for the visa.
    Bring an envelope with your name+address on it and have it stamped.
    Fill out the form they give you and hand them back the form and envelope.
    They will sort the rest.

Check over my PMs I told ya in them, it's very simple.
    Just ask for a garda clearance form as you are leaving the country and need it for the visa.
    Bring an envelope with your name+address on it and have it stamped.
    Fill out the form they give you and hand them back the form and envelope.
    They will sort the rest.

Grand. I have been reading all the stuff in the pms, there is just a lot of it!!! Sound so they stamp the envelope and I fill in the form. Here's hoping they don't play the thicky card like normal. Must go thru all tha stuff you gave me to see how long the form lasts after has been issued. I wanna go over sooner rather than later cos aswell as being thicky they are lazy sheets in that copper station and could take forevers to fill in stuff.

I must be one the most annoying people you know right now!! :P

I need to get myself a passport (Irish, only have a UK one) but may not be able to afford to apply for that til November, what wi saving for Paris :(

hdowney wrote: »
    Grand. I have been reading all the stuff in the pms, there is just a lot of it!!! Sound so they stamp the envelope and I fill in the form. Here's hoping they don't play the thicky card like normal. Must go thru all tha stuff you gave me to see how long the form lasts after has been issued. I wanna go over sooner rather than later cos aswell as being thicky they are lazy sheets in that copper station and could take forevers to fill in stuff.

I must be one the most annoying people you know right now!! :P

I need to get myself a passport (Irish, only have a UK one) but may not be able to afford to apply for that til November, what wi saving for Paris :(

There is a lot but take yer time and go through it all. Makes notes if ya have too for easy reference!

No they don't stamp the envelope I mean you have it stamped like buy a stamp and pop it on that envelope that has your name and address on it.
    Fill in the form then and there. All you have to fill in is your name, date of birth and your address.

The cops don't fill in anything they just put your info into the PULSE system to see if you are a criminal. You will then get it posted out to you...that's why you need the stamped self addressed envelope.

Garda clearance lasts a year so you have plenty time to get it. Wait until October/November and get it then. It only takes 2 weeks. You can get your passport back in 10working days by express post so it shouldn't be too much hassle either.

There is a lot but take yer time and go through it all. Makes notes if ya have too for easy reference!

No they don't stamp the envelope I mean you have it stamped like buy a stamp and pop it on that envelope that has your name and address on it.
    Fill in the form then and there. All you have to fill in is your name, date of birth and your address.

The cops don't fill in anything they just put your info into the PULSE system to see if you are a criminal. You will then get it posted out to you...that's why you need the stamped self addressed envelope.

Garda clearance lasts a year so you have plenty time to get it. Wait until October/November and get it then. It only takes 2 weeks. You can get your passport back in 10working days by express post so it shouldn't be too much hassle either.

Ah that makes so much more sense. Yea I was going to apply around then for the passport. Tis a shame I canni use my British one but I don't fulfill residency requirements obvs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 madmicky

Prefer a permanent visa rather than just a holiday visa. even sponsorship is crap heard on joe duffy about all the people who got laid off and its likley families and all will be coming back to Ireland.

• Advertisement

Prefer a permanent visa rather than just a holiday visa. even sponsorship is crap heard on joe duffy about all the people who got laid off and its likley families and all will be coming back to Ireland.

Getting a permanent visa in any country is hard to do. It takes time to process it up to a year which is why going down the whole 2 year working holiday visa is better. Gives you time to be working with the employer and time to save up money.

Joe Duffy? Ah come on you know how much they make a mountain out of a mole hill :D I wouldn't worry too much about that. Maybe some of those people weren't good workers or something went wrong with the company and had to lay people off. I've mates over there and they are working away getting promotions and sorting their permanent visa forms with their employers now. Know of few others who just got their permanent status through.

It's tougher in the main cities like Vancouver and Toronto which is where everyone flocks too. Alberta has plenty work. Maybe some folks will be coming back as they don't have the money to get to another part of Canada but it's definitely not because there is no work there.

How do you plan on getting the permanent visa do you have a trade or some degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

Sponsorship is crap if you get sponsored by a crap company.

Canadian work experience will make getting PR easier.

I wouldn't listen to the radio, If you did get laid off you'd be getting another job in Canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

http://www.leaderpost.com/business/Laid+Irish+workers+speak/6997861/story.html

They were offered alternatives

Whats your trade?

Would you not be better on an IEC visa to suss whether you would even like Canada before making a move and spending a fortune on getting made PR?

Advertisement