Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam comes to Linux

• 17-07-2012 1:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭

So while there's been a bunch of tidbits of info about this project for the last while, it seems that the project is finally coming together as Valve have today announced that both Steam and Left for Dead 2 have been successfully ported to Ubuntu. No word on release dates yet, especially since they seem to be still working on advanced features in Steam and optimising L4D2, but most certainly good news for our Linux-based (or at least Ubuntu-based for now) gaming brethern.

Steam’d Penguins

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Don't see the point in the effort being made on their part. Assuming this is just the Steam client, and just LFD2, there will be a serious dev effort required to have more games ported, which most publishers have already stated they won't be pursuing.

Beyond me why anyone slightly interested in games would run ubuntu, or atleast not have a windows dual boot. I tried going full Linux and it was an outragous pain in the hole and was actually easier just sticking with windows, but I wont get into the Linux discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Not everyone wants to pay for their OS, should we just give into the monopoly of Windows being the only gaming OS? Should people with Macs also have been told just to run Windows instead before Steam ported over their games? There is a sizeable portion of people on Linux who also want to game on Linux.

It's good to see Valve making the effort and hopefully more publishers will follow. There's already plenty of indie games available on Linux thanks to the Humble Bundle so hopefully they'll be included from the get-go as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

RolandIRL wrote: »
    Not everyone wants to pay for their OS, should we just give into the monopoly of Windows being the only gaming OS? Should people with Macs also have been told just to run Windows instead before Steam ported over their games? There is a sizeable portion of people on Linux who also want to game on Linux.

It's good to see Valve making the effort and hopefully more publishers will follow. There's already plenty of indie games available on Linux thanks to the Humble Bundle so hopefully they'll be included from the get-go as well.

They are designed to work with Windows, and more recently MAC compatibility. While its nice to see some development, I wouldn't hold my breathe. When the news of this being developed first released most publishers stated they would not be editing their games to be ported onto Linux.

You buy the tools required for the job. Gaming is developed and tested for efficency and optimisation around Windows. And as stated more recently MAC.

But I don't buy into the old and boring Linux tears when it comes to gaming. Linux development to enable gaming has been a slow and almost deathly experience. Linux uses are good in some areas, but absolute pathetic in others and gaming is one of them.

If you are planning on playing games on your machine, you have more then likely put a few bob into components. So why skimp on the probably the most important component , an OS that can play them. And Windows isn't exactly expensive anymore, with the basic packages costing about €50.

Its like getting a Playstation 1 from a charity shop have a stress because PS3 games won't work : /

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Finally! :) I'm not using Linux much myself lately but this is fantastic news.
    TheDoc - there's a load of indie games already for linux so it should be easy enough for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Valve are just getting ahead of the competition for when Android replaces Windows down the line :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

TheDoc wrote: »
    Don't see the point in the effort being made on their part. Assuming this is just the Steam client, and just LFD2, there will be a serious dev effort required to have more games ported, which most publishers have already stated they won't be pursuing.
    Well L4D2 is, according to Valve, the latest iteration of the Source engine so porting that over implies they've done the grunt work in getting the engine as a whole ported over. That means that they'll be able to port the rest of their library over in time with less effort.

As for the point? Well there's a myriad of reasons it's a positive move. It allows Linux/Ubuntu users to game natively which means more sales for them, it sets them up for a, as CiaranC points out, other Linux based platforms down the line and hell, it's a damn nice bit of positive PR for them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭Nollog

Steam on wine was buggy as hell.
    It destroyed two of my hard drives just logging in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Having played amnesia on an ubuntu box I have to say this may have some potential. Certainly steam/valve, known for doing little on a whim and being perfectionists(HL3 PLZ) wouldnt be even trying if their research didnt show a market.

Certainly for the next while its not going to be a big sector, but if they're on linux while Diaspora, Greenman, Origin etc arent will get people in the steam environment. Thats a big win. And with humble bundle releasing for linux and using steam keys, well, that'll flood the platform quick enough.

The big problem I see, is nVidia. They've been relatively unhelpful wrt the linux community. For serious gaming to work good drivers are essential, and having to fool around with community drivers and spend ages testing is not going to promote the project.

PS: Pet hate, please dont use MAC for Mac, ones a brand the others a physical address :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They could be looking at having their own platform down the line. If they can get working on Linux they could potentially create they're own console down the line.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I know loads of people in academia who are primarily Linux users. Some will go to the hassle of installing a windows partition just to play a game.

I can imagine a lot of these Linux users getting on the L4D2 (or possibly even the TF2) bandwagon. Especially if it can run as well as it does on Windows on average machines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

ScumLord wrote: »
    They could be looking at having their own platform down the line. If they can get working on Linux they could potentially create they're own console down the line.

There was a thread here a while back with speculation of just such a move. Would not surprise me in the least if they did make a move like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

RolandIRL wrote: »
    There is a sizeable portion of people on Linux who also want to game on Linux.

Then they probably shouldn't have chosen linux as their OS, should they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

I really don't get people arguing against this. Surely it's a good thing that Linux users will be able to play games natively and not through Wine or a dual-boot :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Then they probably shouldn't have chosen linux as their OS, should they?

That's a bit silly. Maybe they use their computer for more than just gaming and they find linux better at those things. Have you never used a piece of software because you preferred it in most ways but a competing piece of software had one or two cool ideas you'd like to see implemented into your favourite?

Sure you can install both and switch back and forth but you wouldn't complain if improvements were made in those areas your preference was lacking in.

Yes for now people who use computers largely for gaming would be better off with windows but plenty of others like to game occasionally or might dream of the day when they don't have to leave a linux os they find better to use, to play their favourite games.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    That's a bit silly. Maybe they use their computer for more than just gaming and they find linux better at those things.

Then they made their choice, and their choice was to sacrifice certain features for whatever it is they think Linux is good for. One of those features is gaming.
    Such is life.

The global desktop market share for Linux is about 1.41% - frankly, I have no idea why valve are wasting their time with this. Honestly, I think someone must have lost a bet.

Which raises the even bigger question as to why Linux supporters are apparently under the impression that anyone will bother with them. The Mac market share is five times the size of the linux ones and they just about manage a small trickle of titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

How big is the catalogue of Steam games for the Mac? These could all be easily ported since Linux also uses Opengl, not Direct x like Windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

CiaranC wrote: »
    Valve are just getting ahead of the competition for when Android replaces Windows down the line :)

Not a chance of that happening. I know you can use a mouse with android, but the operating system (and most of the apps developed for it) are designed for use with a touch screen
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    How big is the catalogue of Steam games for the Mac? These could all be easily ported since Linux also uses Opengl, not Direct x like Windows.

Every valve title than runs on the source engine in addition to a select few third party titles.

http://store.steampowered.com/browse/mac/

The global desktop market share for Linux is about 1.41% - frankly, I have no idea why valve are wasting their time with this.
    Weve already told why they are doing it. A Linux based console delivering Steam content would allow them to take on MS, Sony and Nintendo in their market space.

I think you can rest assured that Valve are more competent than a bunch of OS fanboys.

N64 wrote: »
    Not a chance of that happening. I know you can use a mouse with android, but the operating system (and most of the apps developed for it) are designed for use with a touch screen
    If you think an operating system is designed based on an input device you have no idea what an operating system is or how it works.

Heres an android based console concept, it made 5 mil on kickstarter in a couple of days. Imagine what valve could do if they got Nvidia or ATI onboard.

http://www.examiner.com/article/ouya-an-atypical-video-game-console-breaking-the-norms-1

CiaranC wrote: »
    Weve already told why they are doing it. A Linux based console delivering Steam content would allow them to take on MS, Sony and Nintendo in their market space.

An actual reason would be nice, not a fanwanked piece of make believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

It will certainly make gaming working in the office a lot easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

N64 wrote: »
    I know you can use a mouse with android, but the operating system (and most of the apps developed for it) are designed for use with a touch screen

Have you seen Windows 8 :P

An actual reason would be nice, not a fanwanked piece of make believe.

Make believe? You would have said the same before Google took Linux from a zero market share to be the dominant platform in the mobile device market presumably. Valve have the same idea in mind, its a no brainer.

I keep forgetting that the modern gamer isnt the geek of old. Linux is an open, mature, portable, well documented, well supported KERNEL which is extensible and easy to develop for as Google have just shown with Android.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The open beta of this launched yesterday, by the way :) Mostly indie titles at the moment (Trine 2, Spacechem, Frozen Synapse etc...) but a real step in the right direction!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Which raises the even bigger question as to why Linux supporters are apparently under the impression that anyone will bother with them.

Valve certainly are, I guess they know something you don't. Anyway why begrudge them? It's not like a Linux version of steam is going to affect windows gaming negatively and will improve linux users user experience since they won't have to bother with dual booting for most of their gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Don't see the point in the effort being made on their part.

It's Valve. They have to do something to delay HL:3.

Advertisement