Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got free stuff from Valve!

Options
  • 17-07-2012 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭

First of all Sorry if this shouldnt be in this Forum :o
    Anyway a few weeks ago i Emailed Valve Looking for an Autograph,And today i got a parcel from...You guessed it! "Valve" It contained the following...A Saxton Hale print (Signed by Gabe) An Iphone cover (Sadly i dont have one :( ) and a Copy of HL2!
    I was amazed at how nice those guys at Valve are!
    I just Asked and they sent me all this free :eek:
    Anyway Here is a Pic http://oi47.tinypic.com/sqse1y.jpg
    Just Wondering,Did anybody else ever get anything from Valve...Or any Company? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Nollog

I'd nearly buy an iphone to use that cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I asked stardock once about a dodgey key reselling site and they gave me Solar Empire free

Then as a retail employee microsoft gave me a free HP Envy 14 Spectre and a Samsung Series 7 Slate for my entry in a retailer/elearning contest to do with a sales pitch on the new line of ultrabooks. I had to sign a tax waiver for $2500 worth of product.

Then I emailed starbucks asking why they were charging me 10% Sales tax when the sales tax is only supposed to be 8%... they told me they were going to look into and never did. Never got jack for that. Currently reporting them to the chamber of commerce :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Would love that iPhone cover. Might shoot an email off myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Some guys get all the luck. Best I ever got was a box of Milk Tray from Cadburys when I found a thin piece of wire in a biscuit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

You get LOADS of biscuits if you send a mail off to Jacobs :P

I wrote them an email complaining that they had ruined Jersey Creams (my fave biccys) , and they send me a box load of biscuits.

No Portal iPhone cover though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I send a letter to John Barnes when I was seven. He sent back a hand-written letter advising me to drink milk and visit Jamaica, a signed photograph and a scarf.

I still love that man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Maybe about 9 years ago now or so, I remember looking really forward to Jurassic Park: Survival I think it was. Anyway I think I emailed them in general or hoping to get an early demo at some stage and a few days later it was cancelled. :(

About a week later they sent me on a poster with signatures from all the development team. I was happy enough with that! :D

Still would have preferred being able to purchase the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Rare sent me signed Jet Force Gemini lithos cos i asked them.

Signed by Mr Pants too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I won the Top 30 Hits phone-in competition on RTE back when I was 11/12.

IIRC got 30 albums & 30 singles.
    Gave most of them to my little sister & parents.

Was great because we'd just arrived in Ireland and didn't have the money to buy CDs really. :)

Also, this one time we found a worm in a pack of Viscount.
    They sent us a box of around 30 packs.
    Yet I haven't bought Viscount since... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I won the Top 30 Hits phone-in competition on RTE back when I was 11/12.

IIRC got 30 albums & 30 singles.
    Gave most of them to my little sister & parents.

Was great because we'd just arrived in Ireland and didn't have the money to buy CDs really. :)

Also, this one time we found a worm in a pack of Viscount.
    They sent us a box of around 30 packs.
    Yet I haven't bought Viscount since...
    :pac:

Jaysus, you're making them last :P

I got some dunnes vouchers after finding half a potato in a packet of hunky dorys.

Also contacted tubs sweets to ask why they'd changed their american hard gums. Turns out by removing the 'e' number ingredients they became less nice. Still addicted to them though, and the six tubs they sent me didn't help :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Hey EA are you reading this? That's how you get customer loyalty/respect! :pac:

That's absolutely amazing though OP!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Great stuff, love every part of what you got!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

So, how many of you have emailed Valve today?

I emailed Capcom recently, and I am paranoid I've now got a Bangalorean call-centre trying to hack my router.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I have gotten a few things off them in the past, including some 'Steam Powered' clothing. I remember walking into a certain game retailer a year or so back wearing a Steam hoodie, they didn't look too impressed! ;)

EA actually gave me a few free games in the past too. I had sent them a support question in regards veterancy status for Battlefield 3 and they gave me a copy of the Battlefield games up to Bad Company. They were handing out the CD Keys like confetti. I owned most of them already, but it was a nice gesture!

Wish I could say I had the same experience with EA. Don't think I ever reached a human in their support system when trying to play multiplayer on C&C Generals, they just kept email bombing me the script for a manual game reinstall

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Overheal wrote: »
    Wish I could say I had the same experience with EA. Don't think I ever reached a human in their support system when trying to play multiplayer on C&C Generals, they just kept email bombing me the script for a manual game reinstall

I think it is something that they have improved on lately - the live support chat was a good initiative, but then again they are massive corporation so they have the staff for that sort of thing. Thankfully I have not had the need to deal with EA support all that much though!

This would have been 5 years ago by now, so Im sure by statute of limitations they're owed another shake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 jate3d9u1qxmwc

Thats some cool things man

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

Hahah,I somebody at Valve just told me that in the last few days there has been ALOT of people asking for free stuff! XD

Overheal wrote: »
    I asked stardock once about a dodgey key reselling site and they gave me Solar Empire free

Then as a retail employee microsoft gave me a free HP Envy 14 Spectre and a Samsung Series 7 Slate for my entry in a retailer/elearning contest to do with a sales pitch on the new line of ultrabooks. I had to sign a tax waiver for $2500 worth of product.

Then I emailed starbucks asking why they were charging me 10% Sales tax when the sales tax is only supposed to be 8%... they told me they were going to look into and never did. Never got jack for that. Currently reporting them to the chamber of commerce :pac:
    Add a 4GB Xbox Kinect bundle to that, compliments of a raffle at an HP training event. And a $10 gift card to Chillis. And a private IMAX Screening of Dark Knight Rises.

• Advertisement
Advertisement