Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All things WeightWatchers MkIII- *** Mod note- no links to blogs please**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭shellybelly08

Eabhabear wrote: »
    I was down 2.5lbs tonight, absolutely delighted. I was hoping to get my first mini goal, back into the 13s, which would have required another lb. I was probably a bit too ambitious. I made my fruit juice tonight and I have my exercise planned for the week. I hope that my reintroducing exercise this week that it doesn't effect the scales next week as while I don't mind losing the weight slowly, it really has been snails pace so far!

Well done to everyone on your losses tonight. Some fantastic numbers.

Misschoo when you join, some leaders automatically set a random goal. You hit that random goal tonight which is why you had to reset it. Regarding your actual goal, go with the number that feels right to you now. As you get closer to that, you can make it higher or lower depending on what you are comfortable with. You are allowed to set your own goal with the aid of your leader. As long as it is under 25 then WW shouldn't have an issue with it.

Chickatees Did you include absolutely everything in your tracker, including alcohol, fizzy drinks, coffee (milk/sugar) etc? Did you suddenly up your exercise this week? Did you eat your full amount of dailies every week? Are you on any antibiotics or anything like that? If there's no reason for the gain, then sometimes our bodies just don't cooperate. I know its frustrating but if you stick to plan this week then you should see a loss next week.

I have found in the last week or so that setting goals or challenges have helped me stay on track. One of them was to try a new fruit or veg each week which I have been doing. I'm still battling the fizzy drinks challenge but there has been improvements :D This week I want to battle my scales addiction. After our discussion about weighing during the week, I have realised I am a bit obsessed. So I am going to try and stay off them until Saturday, allow and sneak peak and then stay off them until my WI on Wednesday.

Well done.. good on you great weight loss!

Your dead right about setting goals and challenges.. mine has been to keep mixing my food up.. not having the same breakfast lunch an dinner! Definitely going to raccess my weight loss after next weigh in.. have some nice trips planned so will be a good to use them as targets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭flowerpower12

Hey Eabhabear,
    Re the fizzy drinks, did you see the research a few weeks ago that one fizzy drink a day can increase your chances of type 2 diabetes by 20%?

(I'm hoping the scare tactic will work :) it did for me, I'm only drinking water, sugar free squash & sparking water if I need a bit of "fizz")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Hey Eabhabear,
    Re the fizzy drinks, did you see the research a few weeks ago that one fizzy drink a day can increase your chances of type 2 diabetes by 20%?

(I'm hoping the scare tactic will work :) it did for me, I'm only drinking water, sugar free squash & sparking water if I need a bit of "fizz")

Does that include diet drinks??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭CavanGal

Does that include diet drinks??

I dont know if the research is related but there is research stating that aspartame in diet drinks is very bad for you. Problem is what do we drink with spirits so? A girl I work with drinks sparkling water with her vodka. I tried it one night and it is very refreshing so I must try it again.

One more day till WI. Running club at lunch time and salmon and gnocchi out for dinner. My OH is away tonight so I will have to try to keep myself busy to keep the boredom and picky fingers away until bedtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

Hey Eabhabear,

I just read the article there. I hadn't seen it before but I know fizzy drinks are bad for both regular and diet. What is even more shocking about that article is that it is only one can. I'd easily drink a bottle a day. In saying that, I have cut down massively on the amount I drink.

It does include diet drinks but more so if you are overweight. Tbh I think diet drinks are the worse as they are marketed as healthy but they're not. At least with regular drinks you know what you're getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lormuz

I just read the article there. I hadn't seen it before but I know fizzy drinks are bad for both regular and diet. What is even more shocking about that article is that it is only one can. I'd easily drink a bottle a day. In saying that, I have cut down massively on the amount I drink.

It does include diet drinks but more so if you are overweight. Tbh I think diet drinks are the worse as they are marketed as healthy but they're not. At least with regular drinks you know what you're getting.

Guys,
    Just to clarify ( and let me start by saying i don't work for coca cola) but there is very little evidence that aspartame has negative/bad effects.

I think someone mentioned reseach shows it is very bad for you.
    I did my thesis on artificial sweeteners and there is very little (validated research) that indicates an issue.

There was one study done back in the 80's if i recall correctly where they force fed mice 8000 times the average dose of aspartame and they developed cancers.

If you force feed anything 8000 times the normal dose then you will see problems.

I wouldn't worry about taking diet drinks.
    As they say, everything in moderation!!

That's my 2 cents worth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I'm a fizzy drink fiend too. A few years ago I was borderline addicted to lucozade. I would have a bottle in the morning and then another one later in the day. I managed to cut that out for the most part, but I always loved coke too. I couldn't stand Diet drinks though, they just didn't taste nice to me. I started drinking Coke Zero last year and now I prefer it to regular coke. But again I'd nearly have a bottle a day :/ (500ml). Not every day but I'd say on average 5 a week. I really should try and cut down :( The thing is I have a very sweet tooth so I use the Coke Zero in the evening as a treat to stop me eating chocolate!

Edit: I do drink a good bit of water too, I'd say at least 1.5l a day.

Edit 2: Thanks for putting my mind at rest Lormuz! :D

Lormuz wrote: »
    Guys,
    Just to clarify ( and let me start by saying i don't work for coca cola) but there is very little evidence that aspartame has negative/bad effects.

I did my thesis on artificial sweeteners and there is very little (validated research) that indicates an issue.

There was one study done back in the 80's if i recall correctly where they force fed mice 8000 times the average dose of aspartame and they developed cancers.

If you force feed anything 8000 times the normal dose then you will see problems.

That's my 2 cents worth!

Yipee! Vodka and D Coke it is so! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭flowerpower12

Vodka, Sparking water & a squeeze of fresh lime is delish & only pps for the vodka!!

*wants one now*

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭cailleach an airgid

Lormuz wrote: »
    Guys,

That's my 2 cents worth!

As a PhD candidate and researcher in the health sciences, it is lovely to hear the results of your research. I sometimes feel that diet related stories in the media are hyped up beyond belief (I read something in the Mail last week about how champagne protects against cancer, based on extraordinarily tenuous research! Eat ketchup! Don't eat ketchup!! Jesus, your head would explode!)

Someone once said it somewhere on this forum (not this thread) - when it comes to diet, you are an experiment of one. Some people can eat all the bread they want, some people really can't process wheat well. Some people love tomatoes, others get mouth ulcers from them. Some people find it best to have three reasonably sized meals a day, some need six small ones. I personally can't abide bananas, pineapple, dried fruit or mushrooms - cannot abide them!! Some people do well on paleo, others on a vegan diet, others on weight watchers, and yet others on 5:2. Too much of anything is probably not a great idea, but finding what works for you and your is the best strategy.

I have started today WELL - speaking of what works for us individually, I find an egg in the morning really keeps me going until lunchtime. I threw out the olive bread that I was picking at all last night and I've hidden the kitkats out of sight. Working from home has all the temptations, but I'm determined to have a healthy day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭tryagain2012

I think the trick is everything in Moderation, i dont drink fizzy drinks that often but i might buy a bottle of coke zero at the weekend just to help me get through the sugar cravings. Well done to everyone on your losses this week, board is really busy at the moment great for motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Cliodhna26

Great weight loss! can i ask what ya did this week to mix it up? It definitely worked ;-)

If I'm honest, my eating was not the best!

I bought a wii fit!
    I have been doing it every night for aaaages! All games and thingys are a real work out!

It's great!

AND, I did not have 1 take away all week! That might have made the difference. I have 34 points daily so I can usually afford a take away at the weekends but didn't have one this weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Ah we were given chocolate in class and there is a Mars Bar currently calling me from my bag because I felt bad for not taking it :(

Ah we were given chocolate in class and there is a Mars Bar currently calling me from my bag because I felt bad for not taking it :(

Share with a friend and spread the guilt ;)

Cliodhna26 wrote: »
    If I'm honest, my eating was not the best!

I bought a wii fit!
    I have been doing it every night for aaaages! All games and thingys are a real work out!

It's great!

AND, I did not have 1 take away all week! That might have made the difference. I have 34 points daily so I can usually afford a take away at the weekends but didn't have one this weekend!

Good stuff great to know- I definitely agree the activity boosts the weight loss :) trying to mix it up so i don't get bored its a task in itself :)

With regard to the fizzy drinks i can take them or leave them mite have one every couple of weeks mainly if im drinking alcohol too i need a coke zero or whatever!

It is very much all about what works for you.. weight watchers has thought me that too what works for one may not for another! and of course everything in moderation :)

CavanGal wrote: »
    Share with a friend and spread the guilt ;)

I was thinking of dividing it into 4 (2PP per piece) and having it for the next 4 days. Have a communion on Saturday so I'm not making dinner and I'm going to have salad when I get home so I can allow myself to eat a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Hi all,

How is everyone doing?

I am tempted to get a Pasta Bake and chips in work today for lunch in the canteen, even though I have my salad here (getting a turn off eggs as I am having the same thing every day...) but wondering am I blowing points if I get my dinner here.......I would think the stuff is deep fat fried.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Cliodhna26

Hi everybody!

I am going for tapas this evening with my Mum!

Pp'ing each dish seems to be very hard! Does anyone have any tips re. which ones to go for and which ones to avoid!

I don't drink so I don't have to worry about the wine =)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

pinkstars wrote: »
    Hi all,

How is everyone doing?

I am tempted to get a Pasta Bake and chips in work today for lunch in the canteen, even though I have my salad here (getting a turn off eggs as I am having the same thing every day...) but wondering am I blowing points if I get my dinner here.......I would think the stuff is deep fat fried.

I would try and avoid it if I were you - pasta bake prob laden with cheese and oil/butter/cream and the chips are most definitely deep fried. You're propoints will be much better used. Try to mix your lunches up - swap the eggs for tuna/meat/beans - dont have salad every day. You need to enjoy what you eat!

Reading the thread, I am now terrified that I will have a gain tomorrow due to upping my exercise this week. I see here how people often gain or sts on the weeks they do extra exercise. Please dont let that happen me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lormuz

Cliodhna26 wrote: »
    Hi everybody!

I am going for tapas this evening with my Mum!

Pp'ing each dish seems to be very hard! Does anyone have any tips re. which ones to go for and which ones to avoid!

I don't drink so I don't have to worry about the wine =)

Prawns are low in fat, but just check are they cooked in butter..

not sure what else would be in the menu, I'd imagine patatas Bravas would be quite high in points, cured meats are usually not too bad for points...

As the restaurant how they cook stuff, should give you a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭tryagain2012

Bit the Bullet today and went to WI and dont know how but was down the half pound and GOT TO GOAL. Oh so happy was very emotional (made a show of myself probably) but anyway. Have lost a total of 3 stone and 8.5 lbs. Big shopping trip in order (Pennys mainly have no dosh) :)
    Have to say last week in class they were talking about who is your biggest supporter and have a great hubby but this thread has been so helpful i dont think i could have done it without it - having so many others in the same boat understanding what you are going through especially on the bad days - Ye are all awesome Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Bit the Bullet today and went to WI and dont know how but was down the half pound and GOT TO GOAL. Oh so happy was very emotional (made a show of myself probably) but anyway. Have lost a total of 3 stone and 8.5 lbs. Big shopping trip in order (Pennys mainly have no dosh) :)
    Have to say last week in class they were talking about who is your biggest supporter and have a great hubby but this thread has been so helpful i dont think i could have done it without it - having so many others in the same boat understanding what you are going through especially on the bad days - Ye are all awesome Thanks

FANTASTIC NEWS!!! Well done, that must feel AMAZING! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

Woohoo!! That's brilliant - well done xx

Well done tryagain2012! That's fantastic! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 chickatees

I was down 2.5lbs tonight, absolutely delighted.

Chickatees Did you include absolutely everything in your tracker, including alcohol, fizzy drinks, coffee (milk/sugar) etc? Did you suddenly up your exercise this week? Did you eat your full amount of dailies every week? Are you on any antibiotics or anything like that? If there's no reason for the gain, then sometimes our bodies just don't cooperate. I know its frustrating but if you stick to plan this week then you should see a loss next week.

I have found in the last week or so that setting goals or challenges have helped me stay on track. One of them was to try a new fruit or veg each week which I have been doing. I'm still battling the fizzy drinks challenge but there has been improvements :D This week I want to battle my scales addiction. After our discussion about weighing during the week, I have realised I am a bit obsessed. So I am going to try and stay off them until Saturday, allow and sneak peak and then stay off them until my WI on Wednesday.

Well done on your weight loss - that's brill!

I point my fizzy drinks (red bull = 3 and diet red bull = 0) I have one can of each per day (one of my many downfalls!!). I don't drink tea/coffee. I started eating cereal two weeks ago and have been using quite a bit of splenda. I know in small amounts it's free, but the whole 75g is 8pp, so I've just started adding one in per day to my tracker to cover myself. I did no exercise and I have used all my points and weeklies too. REally flumoxed this week :-( However I'll keep plodding along.

I like your idea of a mini challenge. I need to (a) drink more water and (b) try eat veg! I get at least 5 portions of fruit daily but I'm not great with veg....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

Someone once said it somewhere on this forum (not this thread) - when it comes to diet, you are an experiment of one. Some people can eat all the bread they want, some people really can't process wheat well. Some people love tomatoes, others get mouth ulcers from them. Some people find it best to have three reasonably sized meals a day, some need six small ones. I personally can't abide bananas, pineapple, dried fruit or mushrooms - cannot abide them!! Some people do well on paleo, others on a vegan diet, others on weight watchers, and yet others on 5:2. Too much of anything is probably not a great idea, but finding what works for you and your is the best strategy.

You hit the nail on the head. It really is what works personally for you. People always go on about how bad WW is and it annoys me. It works for me and without I couldn't lose the weight. I know people can abuse the points system, but so what if they do. That is their choice and they are not hurting me so why should I be bothered by what they eat. There's a girl in work who swears by paleo/clean eating. It is really annoying when she tries to force on everyone or comments on what people are eating because its not healthy.

Lormuz thanks for the info on aspartame. When I said that diet drinks aren't healthy, I wasn't referring to the aspartame as I know that any theories around that has been discredited. I just feel that diet drinks in general are unhealthy. They are really bad for your teeth, they can make you dehydrated and tired and its full of chemicals. From a personal point of view, the I find the fizziness really bad as it makes me bloated and feeling sick. That is why I have decided to try and cut them out. I do agree though that everything in moderation, one or two a week is no harm.

ibarelycare Lucozade was my problem as well. I don't really drink tea or coffee so I was drinking Lucozade by the gallons especially during exams. Like you I also drink a lot of water, 2-3 litres a day. I use fizzy drinks for my sweet tooth but I have cut down dramatically in the last few weeks.

Cavangal you may well be down. I know people who do lots of exercise and lose big numbers regularly. Unfortunately I am not one of them :(

Tryagain well done. That is a fantastic achievement. I would love to hear a bit about your weight loss journey, how long it took and what helped you achieve it. If you want that is! I just find hearing these stories, like tinys, help keep me motivated!

Chickatees it seems like you did everything by the book. Maybe introduce some exercise. Or perhaps maybe try not to use your weeklies? I find that sometimes 49 extra points can mean a lot of extra food, particularly if they're not used right. Maybe reduce the amount you use and see does that work?

Well done you! good on ya excellent news im waking up too- Well deserved too! Enjoy your shopping say it feels amazing!

Off to body pump before work hoping to exercise Fri sat an sun! Meal out tomorrow that is on my mind.. will not let it intimidate me :)

Happy Friday everyone x

Hey all

Dunno what to think. I weighed on my digital scales this morning and I am EXACTLY the same weight down to the ounces. It just seems weird especially as my clock scales shows me at 11 1/2 stone which would be down 2lbs from last week. I think I will try get to a pharmacy over the weekend and weigh there to see my exact weight. This is so frustrating. I am going to weigh again this evening and if there is still no change, then the scales are messed up and I'll go buy a salter pair.

My morning was then made worse by the fact that our fridge freezer overheated last night and all the food was warm and defrosted this morning. Raging as its probably at least €100 worth of food. Some of it yummy too. Text the landlord at 7.30am and no response yet. He has to deliver the new one today as we are going away first thing in the morning. We have a funeral tomorrow and I know it will an emotionally tough day and very hard to plan WW wise. We will visit our families on the way back on Saturday and Sunday which means more unplanned eating.

There's a black cloud over my head today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭cailleach an airgid

Tryagain - YAAY! That is SUCH fantastic news - I know that you were worried this week and all! Huge congratulations - what a brilliant weight loss - you should be really, really proud of yourself. Did you talk to your leader about maintenance? What does that involve? (I heard it was six extra points per day but I'm not sure). I am delighted for you and very, very inspired - enjoy and buy lots of nice clothes!

Cavangal - you poor thing, sounds like things are very stressful for you right now. I think having a healthier diet in general (long term), we all need to learn that stressful times happen, times when its hard to plan eating happen and these things happen to everyone. The key is (I think) to do your best this weekend, maybe watch your portion sizes, but don't let food be another thing to get stressed about this weekend - you need to mind yourself. And then go right back to the programme when you get home/Monday morning. Life is forever throwing curve balls at us, and all you can do is get back on the wagon after it happens. Thinking of you xx

Cliodhna - I think tapas are a great option! They are small so you can keep an eye on your portions (providing your not eating aimlessly off a big table of them!) - also you can get things like little salads, portions of frittata, olives which aren't too bad. And enjoy your meal out ;-) nobody said that WW means you can't have a nice meal anymore, a once off nice meal certainly didn't land me inside in weight watchers...

I did have a very nice meal last night - I'd veggie fajitas and they were YUM! I feel they were probably quite oily, but I am proud to say that I didn't go for a big potato or chips on the side - I had a salad instead. And just a tablespoon each of sour cream and guac, a tiny portion of tortilla chips and two tiny wraps. Look, you wouldn't have it every night, but it was great for a treat, and probably not the worst dinner I could have chosen.

Bikini time next week - eek!!

Advertisement