Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All things WeightWatchers MkIII- *** Mod note- no links to blogs please**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

Duffy89 wrote: »
    While you are right in regards at looking at the bigger picture and not the scales, I do think you are being a little too judgemental of Weight Watchers. Have you ever been to a meeting? My leader is great at teaching nutrition and encouraging us to eat proper, healthy meals and she personally does not like any of the Weight Watchers products. I know there are some leaders that like you say don't promote proper nutrition and that is why I go out of my way to go to the meeting that I do. In regards to the bit in bold, if you are referring to Tiny Penguins post, then you should know that she is already at her goal weight and that is why she is changing her weigh in regularity. She is actually doing what you suggest and not get hung up on the scales.

On a slightly different note, my leader mentioned in class last week that we do not have to get weighed in if we don't want to. She said we can still attend the class for free if we feel like we are struggling and the scales aren't moving.

no i've never been to a meeting. i'm just suspicious of these types of weight loss programmes, albeit WW seems a cheaper one, but we have unislim and weight loss motivation charging a lot of money, and a lot of people as seen on this thread rebound in weight after a loss. this means the program did not help effect a change in lifestyle, only a temporary change in habits for a short term goal.

that is why my advice is to research it properly (and for free) and empower yourselves to make meaningful long lasting change.

my aim was to offer advice and i don't want to interfere with the thread so i wish ye all success in ye're goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭shellybelly08

If the above is the advice being given i.e. change the regularity of weigh ins rather than examine diet and exercise for change, then id be skipping the class rather than the weigh ins.

when we set goals in life we must become obsessed to a certain extent teo attain them. theres is nothing unhealthy about that. Its drive and focus.

people are obsessed with the weekly weigh ins to gauge progress. now thats unhealthy.

anyway no more advice from mise :o

Well to be fair your on a weight watchers ridiculing the process.. And telling people to become obsessed with it and then not get obsessed with tin scales so that's kind of contradicting yourself!

To be fair anyone following any sort of programme should be obsessed with it and using whatever tools to their advantage to see results whether that be on the scales or in what they wear!

Most people are following this plan because you don't have cut carbs and sugar can still eat most foods in moderation and have results..

If your not a weight watchers fan then advice or not you prob shouldn't be posting here!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

Well to be fair your on a weight watchers ridiculing the process.. And telling people to become obsessed with it and then not get obsessed with tin scales so that's kind of contradicting yourself!

To be fair anyone following any sort of programme should be obsessed with it and using whatever tools to their advantage to see results whether that be on the scales or in what they wear!

Most people are following this plan because you don't have cut carbs and sugar can still eat most foods in moderation and have results..

If your not a weight watchers fan then advice or not you prob shouldn't be posting here!

i dont feel im ridiculing it, just trying to offer advice to people to take control of their diets, do research and become more aware of their eating habits.

i'd hate to think people are spending €40 a month and not getting proper advice.

my point about the weigh ins was that if your weight is consistently fluctuating, with no downward trend developing, then changing the day of the weigh in is pointless. its the diet and exercise that should be examined.

finally the above in bold is probably the most common reason people aren't achieving their goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

If the above is the advice being given i.e. change the regularity of weigh ins rather than examine diet and exercise for change, then id be skipping the class rather than the weigh ins.

when we set goals in life we must become obsessed to a certain extent to attain them. theres is nothing unhealthy about that. Its drive and focus.

people are obsessed with the weekly weigh ins to gauge progress. now thats unhealthy.

anyway no more advice from mise :o

You quoted me here so I will respond. I was the one who suggested changing to weighing every second week and she agreed. It was precisely for the reason you laid out in your first post... I was becoming too focused on the weekly Weigh ins. I have lost 52.5lbs and am now maintaining my weight so rather than see the up and down, which does balance out but causes me distress I decided to relax on the scales. And the leader agreed

You are right about learning ourselves about nutrition and the leaders help but it is up to the individual. Weight watchers provides structure, support and motivation to many who find they just can't go it alone. It's not for everyone, some do not use it to their best advantage but for many it works and they achieve long term goals.

I know you are trying to help but picking out a couple of comments when you may not have full context isn't helpful. For many this thread is a safe place to rant and share and look for advice. It's about support and occasionally we are a little irrational but that is part of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭cailleach an airgid

Hi Paddy. I'm a healthcare professional and researcher, and I am perfectly happy that weight watchers is a sensible, effective Weight loss programme.I have lost two stone using this approach and have maintained that loss for several months. Ww provides a structured, supportive approach that works extremely well for a lot of people. Yes, it's not the only diet plan, and other approaches may well suit other people better. However, for the people using this thread, it is our chosen approach and we use this wee community for support. It's only natural therefore that criticising what we are trying very hard to do is perceived as negative.

Ww can be abused, like any diet programme, and you are right-supplementing the programme with nutritional knowledge (both from class and external sources) is essential. There's an extravagant amount of ráiméis on the net about nutrition however-weight watchers is NOT the only business-caution advised.

Ww works for me and I've never been healthier or happier (iron and cholesterol levels normal for the first time in years, energy levels through the roof, running 10ks and loving it!). If it works for YOU there's no need to defend your lifestyle choice to anyone. Advice can always be taken or left, however well intentioned it might be ;-)

• Advertisement

You quoted me here so I will respond. I was the one who suggested changing to weighing every second week and she agreed. It was precisely for the reason you laid out in your first post... I was becoming too focused on the weekly Weigh ins. I have lost 52.5lbs and am now maintaining my weight so rather than see the up and down, which does balance out but causes me distress I decided to relax on the scales. And the leader agreed

You are right about learning ourselves about nutrition and the leaders help but it is up to the individual. Weight watchers provides structure, support and motivation to many who find they just can't go it alone. It's not for everyone, some do not use it to their best advantage but for many it works and they achieve long term goals.

I know you are trying to help but picking out a couple of comments when you may not have full context isn't helpful. For many this thread is a safe place to rant and share and look for advice. It's about support and occasionally we are a little irrational but that is part of life.

Seems we sort of wrote the same thing at about the same time. Cannot BATE a bit of serendipity ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Duffy89 wrote: »
    I only commented recently how you have never had a gain (hope I didn't jinx it!). You really have done so well since you started and you had such a big loss last week and correct me if I am wrong, but did you expect a gain last week? Maybe its just your body adjusting to the big loss and having done the mini marathon last week.

Lol I was expecting a gain at some stage tbh. Last week I was expecting a loss of maybe 1lb but I lost 4.5 so that could be it. Tomorrow begins a new week. Loads of exercise this week because I have some time off :)

Seems we sort of wrote the same thing at about the same time. Cannot BATE a bit of serendipity ;-)

To both of you ladies you are both prime examples that the program works! I think its forgotten a lot of the time that nutritional foods are a massive factor in the ww program and most peoples journeys! As mentioned most leaders don't sell the ww products to you as the be all and end all, as they know themselves they are both convenient and costly!

I am a firm believer in each to their own and what works for some won't for others, so i do appreciate some outside advice!

This is indeed a place of motivation for most and i would like to see it remain that way, im sure you all would too ;-)

Just done a new blog entry if anyone is interested... I really need to do more interesting posts. :o

Rather astonished to be up 3 pounds this week. I know that I had a serious treat (Dominos) on Sunday after my run, I may be retained fluid because I was definitely dehydrated afterwards and it is TOTM, but this is the first time since I started the programme that I've had such a significant gain. I'm actually really disappointed - I knew that I had eaten more than normal over the weekend, but generally, this means a 1lb gain, not 3. I'm a bit disheartened, but I really need to turn that into inspired to really track and really watch my food intake this week.

I think the best thing to do is stick on a pot of zero pp soup and let that be my lunch for the week - that has always been a really helpful way for me to lose weight before. I'm also going to donate the loaf of bread in the fridge to my mam, because I'm rather too keen to nibble on toast the last few days.

I'm kind of disgusted with myself guys, I won't lie! Even over Christmas, when I feel I really indulged I stayed the same! One 10k run in sauna like heat, one dominos and I'm 3lbs up. Ugh, what an annoyance!

• Advertisement

Rather astonished to be up 3 pounds this week. I know that I had a serious treat (Dominos) on Sunday after my run, I may be retained fluid because I was definitely dehydrated afterwards and it is TOTM, but this is the first time since I started the programme that I've had such a significant gain. I'm actually really disappointed - I knew that I had eaten more than normal over the weekend, but generally, this means a 1lb gain, not 3. I'm a bit disheartened, but I really need to turn that into inspired to really track and really watch my food intake this week.

I think the best thing to do is stick on a pot of zero pp soup and let that be my lunch for the week - that has always been a really helpful way for me to lose weight before. I'm also going to donate the loaf of bread in the fridge to my mam, because I'm rather too keen to nibble on toast the last few days.

I'm kind of disgusted with myself guys, I won't lie! Even over Christmas, when I feel I really indulged I stayed the same! One 10k run in sauna like heat, one dominos and I'm 3lbs up. Ugh, what an annoyance!

Domino's has a huge amount of salt in it and that coupled with the run in the heat could definitely lead to water retention. If you stay on plan this week things should balance themselves out. Don't be disgusted - these things happen. Its part of life and what really is important is the big picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Natmus

Ok so I have been faffing (if there is such a word?!) about with ww since my holidays in early May. Only half doing it – half tracking, feeling bloated & crap! Getting very frustrated for getting nowhere. I had only 2lb to get my 3rd silver seven but I have 5lb to go now :-( I know I’m the only one that can change it & get back on track.

I had a big chat with myself yesterday evening, so here's what I came up with: I have family coming home mid July for a couple of weeks, so that is giving me 4 weeks to cop on & get 5-7lbs down by then. I have two big occasions until then. I have a wedding away this weekend & then the Westport festival the end of the month. I find I just can’t plan for these occasions especially when away, so out of 4 weeks I think if I write off 4 days (2 for wedding & 2 for Westport) and for the other 26 days work my ass off pointing and exercising. I think that’s a fair deal – what do ye think?..all words of encouragment greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

Hi guys

Does anyone if wheatabix are 3pp???

Tiny - thanks for that - bit of an upset today but like you said, these things are going to happen and that is LIFE. Also, I just had a wee muse there to myself as I threw every vegetable into the fridge into a pot of low pp soup (which I have since spilled down myself and wreaked my clean jeans!) - I actually ate too much this week. Too many lunches out, too many sneaky slices of toast when noone was looking. I can make all the excuses I want, but at the end of the day, I put on 3lbs because I ate too much, simple as. I do think that if I get right back on track and focus on filling and healthy meal options this week, I should be able to turn it around over the next week or two. Ta for the support - needed it this morning!

Natmus - oh I really feel that. I have weeks where I'm just half arsed too and it's so hard to get back into it! For me, track everything does seem to work - even if I go miles over, by tracking everything I take ownership of my consumption and I can see, in black and white, the kinds of choices I am making and what I need to change. I think that we can notice where we're going wrong much easier by having that record. Lots of research shows that keeping a food diary aids weight loss, so I think it's a good place to start! And I think planning your 'days off' is a really good idea too. When I started WW last October, I gave up takeaways. I decided to have a Chinese with the fried rice and the chips and the whole nine yards on Christmas Eve - I looked forward to it so much but it kept me on track for two months! Knowing you've a treat coming helps a lot when staying on track. And best of luck! You will do brilliantly xx

Natmus wrote: »
    Ok so I have been faffing (if there is such a word?!) about with ww since my holidays in early May. Only half doing it – half tracking, feeling bloated & crap! Getting very frustrated for getting nowhere. I had only 2lb to get my 3rd silver seven but I have 5lb to go now :-( I know I’m the only one that can change it & get back on track.

I had a big chat with myself yesterday evening, so here's what I came up with: I have family coming home mid July for a couple of weeks, so that is giving me 4 weeks to cop on & get 5-7lbs down by then. I have two big occasions until then. I have a wedding away this weekend & then the Westport festival the end of the month. I find I just can’t plan for these occasions especially when away, so out of 4 weeks I think if I write off 4 days (2 for wedding & 2 for Westport) and for the other 26 days work my ass off pointing and exercising. I think that’s a fair deal – what do ye think?..all words of encouragment greatly appreciated!

Like cailleach has said truthful tracking is def key to getting on and staying on track! Every thing that goes into your mouth has to be written down no matter good or bad! Defo planning the off days is a good incentive to get you thru and your acknowledging in advance that you may not have a great ww day that day! You are almost most prepared for that instance! Best of luck with gettin back on track and your journey :)

I'm having a good day today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Duffy89

I have been feeling very bloated lately and my fingers have been swollen as well. I reckon its most likely diet related so just wondering if anyone here has experienced this before and knows of a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LouLouBaby

Hi everyone, so I joined WW on Monday and don't feel like I can tell my friends / family but I was 19st 3lb. I actually nearly had a heart attack when I saw the reading!! I'm too embarrassed to tell anyone so I said I'd be a total chicken and use this to share (kind of).

I am looking forward to reading back over everyones hints etc and hopefully this will be the last time I ever see that number on a scale!!

That's exactly what I said when I joined. I'll never see 13 stone on a scales again. Welcome to the thread and best of luck. Definitely join the Weight Watchers Ireland Facebook page if you can. I find that and this thread really good for motivation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Glitter13

Hi guys!! I was down 2.5lbs on saturday, yay :).. 2 more lbs and il be in the 11s!!!! Cannot WAIT hopefully in the next 2 weeks, I cant remember being under 12 stone so this is such a big (mini) goal for me!! So after my meeting on saturday I had decided to have a 'day off' and have a bbq. I was looking forward to it for weeks, planned on eating loads and loads (and loads and loads lol)... had ONE burger and I was STUFFED!! My fiancee was like "omg that better not be all your eating we bought so much food" but I honestly was just too full! Just goes to show that my belly really is shrinking coz pre WW I would have eaten everything put infront of me plus more!! So Im having a very motivating week :)

Ps: thinking of starting a blog, jot down all thoses thought running around in my head!! How do I bo about it?

• Advertisement

LouLouBaby wrote: »
    Hi everyone, so I joined WW on Monday and don't feel like I can tell my friends / family but I was 19st 3lb. I actually nearly had a heart attack when I saw the reading!! I'm too embarrassed to tell anyone so I said I'd be a total chicken and use this to share (kind of).

I am looking forward to reading back over everyones hints etc and hopefully this will be the last time I ever see that number on a scale!!

Welcome along and well done on taking the first steps it isn't easy! I guarantee that's the last time you will see that number on the scales! If ya need any help with pp don't be afraid to shout!

Two tips starting off loads of water to keep you full and try move a little more even if its just taking the stairs instead of the lift or getting off the bus a stop early small changes make a big difference! Best of luck :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭CavanGal

Did a 5km run (my first 5k!!) yesterday lunchtime and football training in the evening. In bits today and going for another run at lunch today. Eek!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

So....I was really bold and skipped my meeting last night :o I knew since the weekend that I was going to, but didn't post it in here because I knew people would convince me not to. I know it's very hypocritical of me since I've been the one telling others not to skip their meetings, so I am very ashamed!

I was away for the weekend and had planned on making good choices with food and drinks...but that all went out the window as soon as we got to the first bar on Friday night. Wine, cocktails, shots, lovely food, ice cream...I ate all around me. Come Monday I drew a line under it and I've been pointing religiously ever since. I know I should have just faced the music yesterday, obviously I would have been up but at least I would have known where I stood. But I just felt like I couldn't, very silly :(

I really need to thinking about WW as more of a "lifestyle" and not just something I can do 5 or 6 days a week and then go mad on the other day or two.

Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to pull the damage back this week. I have a night out on Saturday but I'm pretty broke so it's going to be a tame one. I'm confident I'll have a good week :)

Tiny, in your flapjack recipe, can I use honey instead of golden syrup? Also is the bicarbonate of soda vital?

Thanks

CavanGal wrote: »
    Tiny, in your flapjack recipe, can I use honey instead of golden syrup? Also is the bicarbonate of soda vital?

Thanks

Yummy is that recipe on tinys blog? Got recipe today for protein 'oreo cookies' 2pp each mite make some Saturday and let you all know they turn out!

Day 3 of this week and going good :) Have both breakfast and lunch out with work tomorrow.. Have to try and make good decisions!!

CavanGal wrote: »

Thanks

I've never tried it but I would say honey is absolutely fine. I have interchanged honey and golden syrup in other recipes and its been fine.

Also don't know about the bicarbonate of soda - I think its in there to help the batter expand and spread out during cooking but don't quote me on it. You can always give it a go I guess.

I've never tried it but I would say honey is absolutely fine. I have interchanged honey and golden syrup in other recipes and its been fine.

Also don't know about the bicarbonate of soda - I think its in there to help the batter expand and spread out during cooking but don't quote me on it. You can always give it a go I guess.

Thanks. See I have honey in the cupboard since I made your florentines so would be cheaper to use it. I did have self raising flour but I think its gone and I just have normal flour so might just buy the bicarbonate. Is that the same as baking powder? I am making these for Bakeathon in work tomorrow so don't want to mess up. I am going to make Caramel Squares so need a WW friendly option too. I wonder how many pp are in Caramel Squares and if using LF butter would help lower the pp much? Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LouLouBaby

Thanks guys feeling a bit better today I was up at 6ish Monday and Tuesday walking for 40 minutes and hopefully Ill get out again tomorrow and Friday (need to organize myself around hubbies weird working hours so he is at home for our daughter).
    There are some great recipes and tips on here its really great :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Natmus

LouLouBaby wrote: »

Welcome, well done for joining...you are on the right road. Hopefully you'll find this thread useful and get support. It doesn't matter how much we have to lose we are all in the same boat together. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

Hi guys what is the best low fat butter to use?

Advertisement