Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

All things WeightWatchers MkIII- *** Mod note- no links to blogs please**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭metime

i was just saved from ravaging my kitchen by a big massive mug of carrot and ginger soup that i made 2 nights ago. highly recommend it - warming, filling, satisfying and cheap as feck to make a load of and freeze (though mine won't see the freezer this time as has been obliterated!)

if anyone is interested to make it this is what I did- the recipe calls for
    1kg bag of carrots, 2 onions, 2 cloves garlic, a big chunk of ginger, tbsp oil, 3 stock cubes, (i used veg, gluten free) 1.5litres boiling water, and a pepper mill. oh and you'd want to go with a pretty big saucepan if you are making this!
    • chop up onions, garlic and ginger nice and small.
    • heat the oil in the base of a big saucepan, bung the onions, garlic and ginger in on top and cook on med heat until onion soft. (this smells amazing)
    • chop 1kg carrots in the meantime and make up about a litre and a half of stock using 3 stock cubes and boiling water, give it a good stir
    • add the stock to the pan, reduce heat and simmer low for 45 minutes with the lid slightly ajar until carrots cooked and tender
    • give it a whizz with the stick blender and season as you wish

So far this has yielded about 6 big cups of soup, there's enough for 2 left.

Cost me about €4.00 i'd say. So filling, and the only points to account for is for the Oil used to soften at the start. If you had it you could use the 1 cal spray here I guess, or if you would like and wanted to use points butter of course.

Hope that helps!
    Had Nandos yesterday, really need to get the eating out guide as had no idea what to order. When I got home and checked, I could have saved myself a lot of points and nicer food so was a big raging I didn't have that sussed before going! Weigh in on Wednesday, have not been excercising this week due to back injury, though have been good with tracking and keeping within my points. Here's hoping for a minus on the scales!

hope everyones having a good week.

WhiteTiger wrote: »
    . ... So could this be the answer why the new system is slow to work for me? Has anyone else found this? I'll see how my weigh in goes this week but I'm thinking of using my old points but still go to the meetings etc because I really like the group support :-)...

Hi WhiteTiger and welcome to the forum! I personally would echo what someone else has just said in that your head might get wrecked trying to flit back and forth between the old system and new, especially if the new system is the one being referred to all the time. Besides that, there are hungreds of resources available that refer to pro points that are lifesavers. For example googling Nandos pro points as I had to do yesterday. It's hard enough when standing in a restaraunt trying to figure out what to get with the pro points in front of you - i can only imagine how tricky it would be to convert those again!
    I understand it might be a bit of a learning curve to port over and it is easier said than done - I was fortunate enough to start WW when Pro points were already in - but I must say I think you will find it worth it and worth the effort of doing it in the end. I personally find pro points to be really brilliant. I find if I embrace it for what it is, learn about it and what costs what in Pro points I generally have a loss every week. There are some handy tools available to help and they all refer to pro points.
    If you have any questions or hang ups about the pro points system or want to pick our brains (0pp ;-)) be sure and ask as we'd be glad to help get you on track. That's just my opinion anyway and I hope we can help!

oh and ps: don't forget to talk to your class leader if you have questions etc too - you ARE paying for this service, don't forget!

honeygirl wrote: »
    I am having a really hungry day today and I have to say that I have found the last two weeks really hard. I seem to be in a bit of a slump:confused: hopefully I come out of it and get back on track soon.

Hi honeygirl! I hope you are feeling better after your steroids last week?
    If I were you I would get filled up and satisfied right now, drink a big glass of water and then use the calm to do some meal planning so it's not all left up to hope in the coming week.
    I notice when I plan and think ahead I feel happier too as I am giving myself the chance of succeeding with my initial goal - win win! I posted a recipe there for some soup I made 2 nights ago and it's absolutely delish if you'd be interested. I find it's great for making in bulk and putting in the freezer, though this batch didn't make it that far! It is 0pp and I find it really helps me when I am mad hungry and feel I could eat for Ireland. Best of luck with it anyway :-) we're rootin for ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭honeygirl

metime wrote: »
    Hi honeygirl! I hope you are feeling better after your steroids last week?
    If I were you I would get filled up and satisfied right now, drink a big glass of water and then use the calm to do some meal planning so it's not all left up to hope in the coming week.
    I notice when I plan and think ahead I feel happier too as I am giving myself the chance of succeeding with my initial goal - win win! I posted a recipe there for some soup I made 2 nights ago and it's absolutely delish if you'd be interested. I find it's great for making in bulk and putting in the freezer, though this batch didn't make it that far! It is 0pp and I find it really helps me when I am mad hungry and feel I could eat for Ireland. Best of luck with it anyway :-) we're rootin for ya!

Hi Metime, Thanks for asking I am actually feeling better after last week but am just tired and need to get back into the exercise and the planning which I find hard to do when I fall off the wagon. Thanks also for posting soup recipe I will give it a try in the next few days.

Anyway the post above was my grump for the week so now I will kick myself in the backside and get back on track.

Onwards and Downwards:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

i was just saved from ravaging my kitchen by a big massive mug of carrot and ginger soup that i made 2 nights ago. highly recommend it - warming, filling, satisfying and cheap as feck to make a load of and freeze (though mine won't see the freezer this time as has been obliterated!)

if anyone is interested to make it this is what I did- the recipe calls for
    1kg bag of carrots, 2 onions, 2 cloves garlic, a big chunk of ginger, tbsp oil, 3 stock cubes, (i used veg, gluten free) 1.5litres boiling water, and a pepper mill. oh and you'd want to go with a pretty big saucepan if you are making this!
    • chop up onions, garlic and ginger nice and small.
    • heat the oil in the base of a big saucepan, bung the onions, garlic and ginger in on top and cook on med heat until onion soft. (this smells amazing)
    • chop 1kg carrots in the meantime and make up about a litre and a half of stock using 3 stock cubes and boiling water, give it a good stir
    • add the stock to the pan, reduce heat and simmer low for 45 minutes with the lid slightly ajar until carrots cooked and tender
    • give it a whizz with the stick blender and season as you wish

So far this has yielded about 6 big cups of soup, there's enough for 2 left.

Cost me about €4.00 i'd say. So filling, and the only points to account for is for the Oil used to soften at the start. If you had it you could use the 1 cal spray here I guess, or if you would like and wanted to use points butter of course.

Hope that helps!
    Had Nandos yesterday, really need to get the eating out guide as had no idea what to order. When I got home and checked, I could have saved myself a lot of points and nicer food so was a big raging I didn't have that sussed before going! Weigh in on Wednesday, have not been excercising this week due to back injury, though have been good with tracking and keeping within my points. Here's hoping for a minus on the scales!

hope everyones having a good week.

Sounds like a gorgeous soup and I will de be trying it. Be careful though as you need to count the stock cubes too -they are 1pp each. So there would be 7pp in the whole pot, or 1pp per cup if you get 6 cups out of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭gemini_girl

Hi WhiteTiger and welcome to the forum! I personally would echo what someone else has just said in that your head might get wrecked trying to flit back and forth between the old system and new, especially if the new system is the one being referred to all the time. Besides that, there are hungreds of resources available that refer to pro points that are lifesavers. For example googling Nandos pro points as I had to do yesterday. It's hard enough when standing in a restaraunt trying to figure out what to get with the pro points in front of you - i can only imagine how tricky it would be to convert those again!
    I understand it might be a bit of a learning curve to port over and it is easier said than done - I was fortunate enough to start WW when Pro points were already in - but I must say I think you will find it worth it and worth the effort of doing it in the end. I personally find pro points to be really brilliant. I find if I embrace it for what it is, learn about it and what costs what in Pro points I generally have a loss every week. There are some handy tools available to help and they all refer to pro points.
    If you have any questions or hang ups about the pro points system or want to pick our brains (0pp ;-)) be sure and ask as we'd be glad to help get you on track. That's just my opinion anyway and I hope we can help!

oh and ps: don't forget to talk to your class leader if you have questions etc too - you ARE paying for this service, don't forget!
    Thank you! Well I was down 2.5lbs today, thrilled! My leader is still waiting on my calculator. I really dont want to be depending on the internet to find out points cos I really only go online at night once kids are asleep. My phone isnt great either so I'm finding that the hardest part as ive no way to just calculate points in something before i decide to eat it. I bought alot off WW branded foods so at least i know what to count. I've also discovered Tayto velvet crunch, they are divine & only 2pp! Have pot of butternut squash & carrot soup on at the mo too. Can I ask those of you freezing soup, what containers are good for freezing in so it wont spill everywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

What are people going to be doing for Christmas? Will you be giving your self a few days off, or keep pointing & tracking everything? I'd love to give myself a few days off over Christmas but I'm afraid I'll lose any motivation I had to keep going!

jubella wrote: »
    What are people going to be doing for Christmas? Will you be giving your self a few days off, or keep pointing & tracking everything? I'd love to give myself a few days off over Christmas but I'm afraid I'll lose any motivation I had to keep going!
    I'm prob going to have more veg & less potato for dinner. I'll still have dessert (xmas pudding) & maybe a small selection box (22pp) so hopefully my 49 weeklies will cover it. I'm only at ww a few weeks so I'm sticking to tracking & aiming to lose a few lbs :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dolly2012

Hi guy's joined weight watchers last Wednesday first week was disaster, I was doing slimming world and couldn't loose with it as portion is my problem, just wondering if anyone uses there 49 every week do u loose or would looses be smaller:)

dolly2012 wrote: »
    Hi guy's joined weight watchers last Wednesday first week was disaster, I was doing slimming world and couldn't loose with it as portion is my problem, just wondering if anyone uses there 49 every week do u loose or would looses be smaller:)

I've been doing ww for the last 8 weeks now, and I've used all my 49 every single week and have always had a loss!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Duffy89

A few years ago when I first did WW, I managed to lose 5lbs at the first weigh in after Christmas. What I did was I picked out 3 days that were WW free and the rest I stuck to plan. I also was off college so had more time to exercise so I made the most of getting out for walks. I am planning a similar strategy this year. I am going to take off 22nd (have 12 pubs the night before so I am being realistic!), 25th and 26th. The rest of the days are going to be planned and tracked using dailies and weeklies. I haven't done the couch to 5k in the last few weeks so I am planning on getting back into that this week and exercising over the holidays.

Its trial and error with the weeklies as everyone has different experiences with them. My advice would to eat them all for the first few weeks and see how your weight loss goes. You can either split them up over the 7 days or use them at the weekend. Do bear in mind that if you are eating dailies plus 49 points worth of alcohol and take on a Sunday and your weigh in is on Tuesday, then it will have some effect on the scale. If you aren't happy with your weight loss after a few weeks then only use half and if you're still not happy then try none. Like I said it really is trial and error. Remember you should be aiming for 1-2 lbs loss a week. Any more is a bonus but that is what the plan is designed for. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Duffy89

Well I have said this before and unfortunately I am here saying it again..... I am starting afresh tomorrow. My frustration with the scales not moving got the better of me and all my bad habits crept up on me and I have spent the last 2 weeks eating. I feel like I have been on an emotional rollercoaster lately with work stress, being sick and on antibiotics and I also changed birth control which has my hormones all over the place. I think I just need to stop beating myself up when I slip up or things don't go according to plan. I was up 3.5lbs at weigh in last week and I didn't go this week but I weighed myself tonight and I was up another 3lbs tonight. So moving on, have my lunch ready and shop done. Just need to get my energy levels up and I am good to go!

Hi Jubella, I usually give myself Christmas day, Stephens Day and New Years Eve and Day off from pointing and try to point the other days.

WhiteTiger wrote: »
    Thank you! Well I was down 2.5lbs today, thrilled! My leader is still waiting on my calculator. I really dont want to be depending on the internet to find out points cos I really only go online at night once kids are asleep. My phone isnt great either so I'm finding that the hardest part as ive no way to just calculate points in something before i decide to eat it. I bought alot off WW branded foods so at least i know what to count. I've also discovered Tayto velvet crunch, they are divine & only 2pp! Have pot of butternut squash & carrot soup on at the mo too. Can I ask those of you freezing soup, what containers are good for freezing in so it wont spill everywhere?

Hi WhiteTiger, 2.5lb is a really good weight loss keep going you have started off well.:)

Hi, I use all my dailies and my 49 weeklies and I have had a loss every week that I have stuck to the plan. If you don't use your 49 points and all your dailies it might be harder to maintain when you do loose the weight. Its better to loose slowly and steadily.

Hi WhiteTiger, 2.5lb is a really good weight loss keep going you have started off well.:)

Thank you, I was really surprised tbh because I was keeping an eye with my own scales (which has since been put away). Can anyone recommend good websites or threads for low propoint meals that would also be suitable or easily adapted to small children? I'm finding it hard trying to juggle what I need with what they will eat too (they're 3 & 5 yrs) plus 1 fussy husband. We have 75 euro a week to feed the 4 of us & both kids have dairy allergies so cheap & healthy & low points. Havent a clue where to look! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭cailleach an airgid

White tiger- aldi do a version of velvet crunch called satin crunch and they are very affordable and very yummy, and exactly the same! Well done on your loss this week!

Duffy- I totally get where you're at- I'm struggling at the moment. Stress of Christmas and getting work in order before the holidays-I'm just nibbling constantly and there's so many nights out right now, I'm eating crap the next day... I feel like I eat well during the week and then throw it all away at the weekends. I was up two last week, just going to weigh in and really crossing my fingers for a sts, but not holding my breath. :-(

Duffy89 wrote: »
    Well I have said this before and unfortunately I am here saying it again..... I am starting afresh tomorrow. My frustration with the scales not moving got the better of me and all my bad habits crept up on me and I have spent the last 2 weeks eating. I feel like I have been on an emotional rollercoaster lately with work stress, being sick and on antibiotics and I also changed birth control which has my hormones all over the place. I think I just need to stop beating myself up when I slip up or things don't go according to plan. I was up 3.5lbs at weigh in last week and I didn't go this week but I weighed myself tonight and I was up another 3lbs tonight. So moving on, have my lunch ready and shop done. Just need to get my energy levels up and I am good to go!

Hi Duffy, Go back next week start afresh and try not to give the weight gain another thought. Its terrible when everything goes against you and your weight loss, I am battling with my motivation at the moment. Are you still running? you seemed to be doing so well with that.

You have been one of the posters who has always been there to motivate me in the past so hopefully I can do the same for you. Keep going it will eventually come off.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

STS but I'm delighted because I was all over the place this week :)

I was down 1 this morning. I'm a little disappointed as I changed from an evening to a morning class, so I probably actually stayed the same this week. I got to 10% anyway, and I'll aim to do better next week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭cailleach an airgid

Down 2 *dies of shock* :-)

I was down 1 this morning. I'm a little disappointed as I changed from an evening to a morning class, so I probably actually stayed the same this week. I got to 10% anyway, and I'll aim to do better next week :)

Hi Jubella, Don't be disappointed 1 is a good loss and any minus is good. Slowly and steadily is best! Congrats on getting your 10% you are doing really well:)

Hi Jubella, Don't be disappointed 1 is a good loss and any minus is good. Slowly and steadily is best! Congrats on getting your 10% you are doing really well:)

Thanks honeygirl! I know I'm still happy the scales are moving down! I'm just feeling a little unmotivated so I'm going to aim for a 2lb or more loss next week to get my motivation back up!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 eatwatchdress

Oh ladies, I was SO annoyed last night! I got absolutely soaked running from my house to the car, drove 20mins to my meeting, spent ages looking for parking, got soaked again running from the car to the meeting...AND MY LEADER NEVER SHOWED UP!!! Can you believe that?? I'm shocked!

I was there the previous week, and the leader did say that the WW staff Christmas party was the weekend just gone, but she never mentioned anything about classes being cancelled. Apparantly the same thing happened to the Saturday morning class too.

There was about 6 of us all standing around, soaking, and very annoyed! Class was supposed to start at 7.30pm, we waited until 8pm, and no sign of her. No note on the door, no text or email, nothing. What a waste of a night! I'll go to a different class tonight, but I'm very disappointed. Did this happen to any of you this week?

Thanks honeygirl! I know I'm still happy the scales are moving down! I'm just feeling a little unmotivated so I'm going to aim for a 2lb or more loss next week to get my motivation back up!

I know how you feel I am battling trying to keep myself motivated over the last two weeks. Its probably the cold weather and it being so busy and so close to christmas thats halting my motivation, that's what I am telling myself anyway:D Anyway I will battle on, keep going:)

I have my weigh in tomorrow and I would give anything for a sts or a minus but I fear that my halo is well and truly around my ankles at this stage:P

Oh ladies, I was SO annoyed last night! I got absolutely soaked running from my house to the car, drove 20mins to my meeting, spent ages looking for parking, got soaked again running from the car to the meeting...AND MY LEADER NEVER SHOWED UP!!! Can you believe that?? I'm shocked!

I was there the previous week, and the leader did say that the WW staff Christmas party was the weekend just gone, but she never mentioned anything about classes being cancelled. Apparantly the same thing happened to the Saturday morning class too.

There was about 6 of us all standing around, soaking, and very annoyed! Class was supposed to start at 7.30pm, we waited until 8pm, and no sign of her. No note on the door, no text or email, nothing. What a waste of a night! I'll go to a different class tonight, but I'm very disappointed. Did this happen to any of you this week?

Thats terrible she should have let you know or she should have had someone cover the meeting. I have to say I wouldn't be impressed with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mess2asuccess

I was down 1lb this week. Considering I had 2 Christmas parties this week and a break-up I've very happy with a loss! Well done to those who also had losses this week!

I'm finishing work today for Christmas and I'm not back til the 13th of January so I'm going to try my best and be really good with my eating and exercising in the weeks until Christmas. I'm taking the from the 23rd - 1st January off WW but I'm still going to track, even if I go waaaay over my points. This way I can see exactly where the damage is done and learn from it for other occasions. Also I know that if I give up sweets etc during Christmas I'll feel deprived and I'll feel resentful towards WW for ruining Christmas (crazy I know). But I am going to try and avoid over-stuffing myself over Christmas as that just makes me fell sick and makes me feel crap even if I'm eating gorgeous foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 eatwatchdress

Thats terrible she should have let you know or she should have had someone cover the meeting. I have to say I wouldn't be impressed with that!

I phoned the WW customer service line a while ago, and the woman I spoke to was really surprised. She took my name and number, and a while later my leader phoned me to apologise, she said she had a family emergency and contacted everyone that she could, but obviously she missed a few of us. She said she couldn't get a different leader to cover the class at such short notice. I totally understand the situation, and it was nice of her to call me personally instead of going through the other woman I spoke to. Still though, WW have my contact details. They could have sent me an email on her behalf!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Be careful though as you need to count the stock cubes too -they are 1pp each.

According to the WW book it is 1 PP for 2 stock cubes. :)

• Advertisement

I phoned the WW customer service line a while ago, and the woman I spoke to was really surprised. She took my name and number, and a while later my leader phoned me to apologise, she said she had a family emergency and contacted everyone that she could, but obviously she missed a few of us. She said she couldn't get a different leader to cover the class at such short notice. I totally understand the situation, and it was nice of her to call me personally instead of going through the other woman I spoke to. Still though, WW have my contact details. They could have sent me an email on her behalf!

I suppose you have to make allowances for family emergencies and it was very nice of the woman to phone you to say sorry but you would expect weight watchers themselves to have some back up plan that either a text or email would go out to members in a class if the leader couldn't make it.

Advertisement