Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All things WeightWatchers MkIII- *** Mod note- no links to blogs please**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Hi all,

How would you recommend ww to slimming world? I need to lose weight and I dunno what to chose to go to!!

Thanks in advance x

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭barneylou

Hi Pinkstars, I can only speak for myself I have tried both of them and I prefer WW. My biggest problem is portion sizes so when I was on slimming world I could eat as much potatoes say for example as I liked but not the butter(butter and bread) where frowned upon in my slimming world class I ate lots and I did lose weight but very slowly. On WW and its the propoints plan I follow it teaches me to be disciplined I can still eat potatoes with butter just not a plate of them it makes you mindful of what your putting in your mouth I lost 4ib the first week my second weigh in is on Wednesday ( I have done weight watchers before years ago and it does work) but like everything you get out what you put in.. I'm sure some of the other people on the forum will tell you similar good luck which ever you decide to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

I tried slimming world for a week a few years ago. At the time you could eat unlimited pasta, not sure if that's still the case. If I ate unlimited pasta, I'd have to be rolled out my front door. I think SW is great if you have some idea of portion sizes, otherwise it's difficult. I like WW because you have filling and healthy, which is all the better foods for you, but I always make sure I point it anyway because no matter how good something is for you, it still has calories. Similarly, even though WW has free foods, I'd never sit down and eat 10 bananas and expect to lose weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I tried Slimming World, some years ago, and I know loads of people have had great success with it, as you can see, from the thread on here.
    I'm a WW fan, and ended up attending just once at Slimming World, in the end.

I think, and maybe this is just me, a rapport with the leader makes a difference.
    It just wasn't for me, but as I say, lots and lots of people have had and continue to have great success, with either WW or SW. I think it's a case of what 'clicks', for you, if that makes any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Was AWOL for the last about three weeks, between work, and a short break away for a few days. Went back last night, up 2. I thought it would be about 5. I often have a sneak preview on my own scales, but hadn't done, so I was happy, getting off the scales, believe it or not. :D

Onwards and downwards , best of luck everyone. The thread here is great, I was just catching up there, and it's lovely to hear how everyone is doing, whether it's a loss or a gain, there is great encouragement here.

• Advertisement

Hey everyone, hope all is well :) 1/2 pound off this week for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Due to Ploughing Championship traffic I have to go to the 12.30pm weigh in instead of my usual 9.30am so I'm trying to distract myself from feeling hungry because I'm in the habit of not eating before weigh in. :o

Thread was very quiet for a few days so its great to hear how everyone is getting on. My weigh in is this evening at 7 I have been very good apart from the drinks on Sunday which I took from my weeklies. I often wondered if its the drink that does the damage or the crap you eat after the drink!!Tonite should tell the tell because on Monday I sticked to my points and had a walk hung over and all plus I avoided the finger food in the pub on Sunday had my dinner before I went and pointed my sandwich when I came home so it should be interesting to see what it shows... Good luck everyone..

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭kellyshell

Hi All,

I have tried slimming world in the past and although I did lose some weight the classes where not great................no support just everyone sitting around waiting to be weighed. Could anyone be kind enough to give me a quick run through of how weightwatchers works? just a general idea??

Thanks

Hi Kellyshell,

I felt the same about Slimming world the first day I went the leader took about 20 mins to run through the programme and she kept making a point of how many potatoes you could eat fill your plate to the top, I think that's a way of getting your attention surly the hole point of going to a slimming group is to address such issues as portion sizes!! There is so much involved and I just couldn't get my head around it the group of people had been there ages and I felt silly for asking basic questions plus this €2 raffle each week annoyed me on top of the cost of the class. I couldn't gel with the leader so I left.. Weight watchers teaches you portion sizes yes you can eat potatoes but not a plate of them the meetings are very informative and the leader gives great hints and tips as do the members I never felt or feel silly asking a question and they don't mind repeating the same thing each week for new members id say give it a go and see what you think.

Basically depending on your height, age, weight and amount of movement you do in a day (ie sit at a desk, on your feet) you are given points you use these points against your food for the day these are called your dailies for example I have 26 points each day on top of this your are given a weekly amount of points called your weeklies 49 in total you can use these to top up your dailies or if you prefer on drinks at the weekend or however you choose. When you join you are given a book which contains the points in all foods if it isn't there just Google it and you will find the answers on line. There are also great apps that help you work out the points. There is also a second type of programme called healthy and filling which is a little like slimming world but I don't use it sure someone else can fill you in on it. I like the points as it teaches me portion sizes. hope that helps. Good luck in what ever you try.

• Advertisement

Hi barneylou

Thanks for getting back to me.........the raffle and bring something in for the basket annoyed me to!!!

I cook everything from scratch but if its a favourite it will be a big portion and I love booze!!

There is a class on in my area this evening, so I am going to bite the bullet and join. Having to be weighed every wk will be motivation for me and its only 10wks to my Xmas party so would like to be down a dress size!

Thanks again

Hi Kellyshell,

God you sound just like me drink and portions sizes!! Been weighed is the only thing that keeps me good if I were doing it myself I would fail miserably but the thoughts of getting on them scales keeps me good well good so far.. Good luck with tonight on my first weigh in I said to myself what ever I weigh now I wont see that number again and please god I wont... I have done weight watchers in the past and kept the weight off its has crept on slowly over the year I've just had so much on and had a birthday month instead of day for my 40th so I'm back and I have my second weigh in tonight. I was 11s 3 1/2 ibs lost 4 last week bringing me to 10 s 13 1\2 id like to get back to 10 stone so here's praying that I have a loss this evening... hope you enjoy the programme and if you have any more questions or your unsure of anything pop it up here its a great thread and people are only to happy to help.

I like the idea of a birthday month......its my birthday next wk!!! if I lose a couple of lbs in the first wk it will justify the booze next wk :)

Hopefully I don't find it to hard to get my head around!

Thanks for all your help and good luck this evening!

Ha.. No matter what your doing slimming wise you have to celebrate your birthday its only once a year and if you cant do that then what's the point... I wouldn't advertise a birthday month as a good thing if I hadn't done it I wouldn't be back at weight watcher (was great though)

Hi Barneylou

Thanks for the help yesterday. I start on the "Filling and Healthy" for this wk and then points next wk! fingers crossed it works!

Glad it was a great birthday and as they say you only live once :)

Thanks again

Bit annoyed this week, up 1.5. I was on plan all week. I did feel a bit bloated on weigh in day (Tuesday) thought so I'm neck pints of water since so hopefully that sorts it. There was a minor takeaway problem last night. It forced it's way into my mouth :p but back on plan today. Getting the exercise DVDs out and taking the dog for an extra long walk when I get home from work. Up side from the takeaway, I'm still absolutely stuffed and don't see myself eating much at all today!

Hi Kellysheil,

Glad you went hope you have a great first week it onwards and downwards from here.. never mind Sillybean its a minor set back and if you were bloated and stayed on plan I'm sure you will see a good loss next week. I had my second weigh in last nite and was down 2.5 ibs delighted which means I'm down 6.5 ibs in two weeks nearly had the 1/2 stone but please god that will come next week... I have tickets to the Late Late for tomorrow nite so a trip to Dublin and staying in a hotel there's a wine reception before hand I have avoided wine up to now because I know how bad it can be but I'll have to work extra hard this week to stay on track.. good luck everyone on the coming week...:)

maybe ask for a wine spritzer or whatever they're called, mix it with a diet lemonade or something. That way you get the wine with less points?

Thanks Sillybeans I usually drink red but I do like spritzers i'll give that ago, I've already been thinking about the breakfast in the hotel, why is it when your at home a yogurt and fruit is enough for breakie but when your away because your paying for it you feel the need to all?? hoping I can get a slice of toast with a pouched egg and some fruit and avoid the dreaded cooked breakfast...

Maybe get someone else to order it for you or get the stuff from the buffet so that you don't have a moment of weakness?!?! Or if it's in your points, just go for it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Zanablue

Hey all, I went to my meeting today and I was up 1.5lb so am not very happy:( but it was a very busy week so I will try and get back on track for my next weigh in.

Good luck everyone and congrats on all the great losses.

Onwards and Downwards!

Hi Zanablue,

I'm sure you will have it off next week and more along with it, its very hard when you have a busy schedule its nice to have a few quiet weeks. Good luck with the coming week.

Does anyone have any nice suggestions for low point soup? I usually just throw in whatever is handy and always add a potato but I'd like to avoid the potato and maybe use zero points only food

Hi all,

I write this with a heavy heart my first weekend of been bold!!! haven't walked since Thursday.. Was at the late late show on Friday nite and had dinner in the hotel before leaving which was a beef stir-fry with noodles no starters had a wine and a vodka, then 3 wines when we got there!! Went back to the hotel after and thank god the bar shut at 1 so only had another 2 drinks there.. got up Saturday with the best of intentions for breakfast but ended up with scramble egg, bacon tomato and mushrooms (don't know what they were cooked in) hopefully not butter had toast also then went to Blanch and had a skinny latte and sausage roll:mad: not like me. Came home and cooked a steak and had a few drinks yesterday after a funeral I'm normally so programmed so feel very bold.. on the up side I did have a good time and I have my runners at work so going to walk for 30 mins at lunch time and again when I get home and be really good point wise for the next few days damage limitation!! and see what happens.. hope you all had a great week. Sillybeans sorry I have no recipes for soup don't really make it I think there may be a recipe either in the book or if you Google weight watchers soup you should find some on line..

That doesn't sound too bad of a weekend! Might be over by a few points but you haven't completely gone overboard! You'll reign it in again this week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I'm so excited - lost 4lb this week so I'm now at the lowest weight I've been in at least 5 years!

Well done!! ^

I was doing well but ate everything this weekend as was celebrating getting a new job. Not beating myself up though, we're allowed treats now and then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

SillyBeans wrote: »
    Well done!! ^

I was doing well but ate everything this weekend as was celebrating getting a new job. Not beating myself up though, we're allowed treats now and then :)

Oh absolutely, I was in the Shelbourne on Saturday for afternoon tea and ate everything I wanted for it! No point depriving yourself too much or you won't stick to it I think. Congrats on the job!

Thanks, the way I see it, the new job is giving me a better routine (shorter working days) so I'll have no excuses not to exercise and things now :D

• Advertisement

Thanks Sillybeans, just had a walk on my lunch break so ill have another when I get home this evening and do the same tomorrow and Wednesday during the day I weigh in on Wednesday evening so I guess it will tell the tail then but I know your right its very hard to stay good when you have something on and I have noting this weekend which is great so hoping for a good week next week.. Congrats on the new job hope the exercising really helps id be lost without it..

Well done Angledelight 4 ibs is a great loss

Advertisement