Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you keeping the new look?

• 17-07-2012 8:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I is afraid of change... plus it looked a little too much like facebook for me so I switched back to good old classic.

So you moving with the new hip times or staying in the past?

Will you keep the new look? 259 votes

Oooh shiny, I like.
    0% 0 votes
    Old and familiar
    35% 93 votes
    Atari jaguar etc etc
    64% 166 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Staying in the past :-(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Eat my dust losers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I don't like change *sulk*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I like it in terms of functionality, though wish there was a darker skin option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Change is good! Me likey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yep cause it's great and an improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Once they fix the 'My Forums' issue on iPad (or maybe they already have), I'd be happy to switch over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Atari at the moment. I don't like the overly whiteness of it. If they can darken it a bit, I'm all for it (without the sticky menu thingy).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Its shyte with smart phones/tablets iPads etc....

The sticky at the top won't adjust and scroll when I do.

I'm guessing a lot of folk use these devices to access boards in these days, as such, I expect possibly a few to drift off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I don't like the overly whiteness of it.

A bit much first thing in the morning, or the small hours. Old skin doesn't sear the eyeballs as much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Never!! They'll never get me to move on from my bell bottoms, flares, and tie-dyes. Damn kids with their newfandangled fashions!! :mad:

Here anyone with issues with the sticky menu:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=appearancesettings

Use that and uncheck the "Use Sticky Header" box and it should fix the menu.

The cosy mode thing removes some of the white on the sides (or something) that might help too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fair play to the team building it, but I'm not that keen on it. Too much like a touch interface or something*? Dunno how to put it... too much wasted space? Some good extras on it though.

* there's a tendency towards making things look like touch guis these days. Apple are at it quite a bit. A laptop/desktop isn't a pad you twonks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I prefer the menu navigation in the old beta menu, no having to click for sub-forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'll probably switch to this new fangled look eventually, I'm just not ready to say goodbye to the old one yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

looks good, im keeping it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Sean7

Like the improvements. Colour, etc leaves a lot to be desired but that'll be fixed with the darker skin coming out. In short, I'm going to stick with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

If you think there is too much empty unused space, go to appearance settings and enable cosy mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I like it but a bit too bright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I'm using it - my main issues were that the default fontsize seemed massive, so I zoomed out in my browser and now I like it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

can we have a red trim around the sides [with flowers]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Penn wrote: »
    Once they fix the 'My Forums' issue on iPad (or maybe they already have), I'd be happy to switch over.

Seems to be fixed now, was having a lot of problems viewing on the iPad last week but most are ironed out today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I've been using the 'old beta' for some time, and may have to go back to it. I stay logged in on the laptop, and on my phone, my phone logs in to the same format as here, and it cant handle the new look for some reason.

Trying the touch format on the phone also brings me to the same format as I'm using on my laptop, plus not a big fan of the touch site.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Eh it's not bad but I prefer the old one. I prefer just having to hover to open sub forums at the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Nope, cloud and proud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Ok, so I switched back to the old style.

If reoports the sticky may be fixed are correct, I'd be willing to switch to the new style again.

Anyone know how to do that:confused:

As currently pointed out by Wibbs.

Congrats to the staff on the hardwork and effort put into the re-design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

I'm keeping it, quite like the new look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I went back to the old one. New one annoys me a little, makes me want to punch the wall with anger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Ghandee wrote: »
    Ok, so I switched back to the old style.

If reoports the sticky may be fixed are correct, I'd be willing to switch to the new style again.

Anyone know how to do that:confused:

As currently pointed out by Wibbs.

Congrats to the staff on the hardwork and effort put into the re-design.

go into appearance settings and click/unclick some boxes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Next you're going to tell me HotBot isn't the in thing anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I've been using it since the BETA and I'm quite used to it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

The Snipe wrote: »
    I've been using it since the BETA and I'm quite used to it now.

Bleedin' hipsters! :pac:

Yeah using it now myself after a load of fixes were done recently. It's good, will just take a bit of getting used to.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

It's better laid out, cleaner and easier to read.

Definately keeping new version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Why remove the login boxes from the top of the page and force you to go to a login page? Backwards 'improvement'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Massive improvement. Don't really understand how anyone could prefer the old one, to be honest.

Although I have been using the improved-menu-beta since whenever that was introduced, feels like a year or more at this stage. And then the new-skin beta for the past month or so.. so I'm "used to it". But they were massive improvements, too. There wasn't much to love about that old menu system, imho.

• Advertisement

After having it on for two or so hours, I love it.

It's a massive improvement to me.

The white was really hard to get used to at first but it looks so much cleaner now. The extra space/bigger letters are also very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

The new look is already sooooo yesterday. When will we get a new new look??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

Ah yeah, I'm too lazy to figure out how to change it back, coupled with the fact that along with every change Facebook/Youtube etc have done over the years, I'll get used to it and grow to like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

jester77 wrote: »
    I prefer the menu navigation in the old beta menu, no having to click for sub-forums.

A wheel unnecessarily re-invented. Also using 2 functions in one visual space: click for forum and click for sub forums - not good UI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I dont like the new thingy. It scares me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,467 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Fúck no it's brutal...and I dislike having to click the submenus.
    Old beta all the way !!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

I don't like it, everything was way more compacted on the old version allowing me to read off all the topics or messages with outso much scrolling

.....now I just seem to be scrolling all the time just to read one sentence posts, tried making the screen smaller but then I can't read anything.

The contrast is also way too high on the new version, too much white going on for reading.

Functionality is always the most important element of design not 'shiny bright'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I think it's a bit sad that anyone cares. It's not even that different. There's more to life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

hurts my eyes its too shiny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

No - hate it

it seems to give off a very 2 dimensional feel to it for some reason.
    Perhaps it's the lighter blue or less shadowing, I don't know.

just seems 2 d to me though
    does anyone else feel this way

don't state the obvious - lol
    you know what I mean....

+1 on looking like facebook as well - uuggghhhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Are we eventually going to be encouraged to log in to boards via Facebook?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    No - hate it

it seems to give off a very 2 dimensional feel to it for some reason.
    Perhaps it's the lighter blue or less shadowing, I don't know.

just seems 2 d to me though
    does anyone else feel this way

don't state the obvious - lol
    you know what I mean....

+1 on looking like facebook as well - uuggghhhhh

But...it is two dimensional....you're looking at a screen....that has two dimensions....<head explodes>

Blue is calming though, it's meant to stop trolls. :pac:

Ficheall wrote: »
    Are we eventually going to be encouraged to log in to boards via Facebook?

But... but none of us in AH have Facebook, we're friendless losers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

On the old look I could click on my name and it brought me to a page where there was a link to my thanked posts, whereby I could see if I'd recently uncharacteristically contributed anything worthwhile to a thread. How does one check one's "thanked posts" with this new look?

Ficheall wrote: »
    On the old look I could click on my name and it brought me to a page where there was a link to my thanked posts, whereby I could see if I'd recently uncharacteristically contributed anything worthwhile to a thread. How does one check one's "thanked posts" with this new look?

Same as before.
    Click your name in the top right corner, in new page that loads click Statistics and then view al thanked posts by thanks whoreFicheall :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement