Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you keeping the new look?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Ah.. cheers. I didn't realise it was clickable as well has having the drop down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I really like it. It's cleaner and the drop down menus at the top are far less clumsy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

In general I like the new look. It's nice and tidy. I'm probably not going to switch over until the dark version is available, though.

Also, is anyone else not able to unstick the header in Firefox? It makes me feel weirdly claustrophobic.

Edit: Actually, seems to be working okay now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I would like to incorporate the new look into my laptop/desktop browsing but the new Beta skin is far to sluggish for my iPhone and iPad (I use the old white skin for my phone as I am not a fan of the touch site). If I wanted to use the old white skin for the iPhone and then use the Beta skin on the laptop I would have to be constantly changing it on my User CP each time I logged in with a differing device, that will be far to annoying to put up with so for the time being I will stick with the old look.

Although, I will try to get into using it if the iPad/iPhone compatibility is improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

I like it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I like it, but i wish the my forums drop down menu was on the left.

don't like the new look at all, old for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

I think I'll give it a try :pac:

Gonna stick with the old one, myself. I much prefer it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Wasn't a fan at first but come October 24th I won't have a choice, so I will stick with it.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Wasn't a fan at first but come October 24th I won't have a choice, so I will stick with it.

What's October 24th if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

I changed back to the old look by accident, now i dont know how to go back to the new look which i prefered. how do i change it?

Real Life wrote: »
    I changed back to the old look by accident, now i dont know how to go back to the new look which i prefered. how do i change it?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions

Go to the above link, scroll down to Forum Skin and select "Default", then Save Changes :)

Danny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions

Go to the above link, scroll down to Forum Skin and select "Default", then Save Changes :)

Danny

thanks

Real Life wrote: »
    thanks

You're very welcome :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Carbon Bootprint

Oh, is that the day the Mayans predicted the end of the world? I thought it was supposed to be December something-or-another.

I went back to the old look. I didn't see any real improvement and thus no real point to the change. Besides, it's annoying whenever boards I frequent change up the interface just as I've gotten used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Sticking with the old beta skin.
    New bar takes up too much space at the top but when you unsticky it you lose the search box and forum menus.
    Plus as already said, lots of wasted space

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Can I change back to the old way and how ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭kevmol88

Tv digital switchover

http://www.saorview.ie/help-support/faqs/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭SeanW

I'm still using the existing boards layout with the green skin, as I've been doing for a while now. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Sticking with the old beta skin.
    New bar takes up too much space at the top but when you unsticky it you lose the search box and forum menus.
    Plus as already said, lots of wasted space

You can select "cosy" mode in Appearance Settings (drop down under username).
    Inbox wrote: »
    Waste of money.

:confused:

But you didn't pay anything!

But with everyone giving out about it, I'll just leave this here (again. Also replace "facebook" with "boards").

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

tbh, I find the dark dark blue and the empty white really tough to deal with. I have to say that the good thing is that now I can only bare looking at the site for about 7/8 minutes and I have to get off it, so at least I'm not wasting as much time as I used to be.

Right, I'm outta here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hate black text on white. Too contrasty.

Hate menu on top. Wastes vertical space which is already at a premium on a laptop. Means that a page up or page down skips several lines of text.

Horizontal scroll bars all over the place unless the window is at least 1000 pixels wide. I like to keep the window 800-850 pixels wide, newspapers invented columns for a reason, because shorter lines of text are more readable.

Horizontal scroll bars should never appear on a website, it should scale to fit the window (within reason.) Yes there's a 'fit to width' button on Opera but as it stands, with the new skin I'd have to press that button every time I open a thread, and never use page down any more when reading a thread. Daft.

As it stands, the top menu doesn't even fit properly in less than 1000 pixel width. The Appearance Settings menu page text doesn't fit either, and there's no horizontal scroll bar so this page would be unusable on a netbook.

I thought websites were supposed to be making themselves more usable on narrow screens/windows (netbooks, portrait mode tablets...) rather than unusable.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

ninja900 wrote: »
    I thought websites were supposed to be making themselves more usable on narrow screens/windows (netbooks, portrait mode tablets...) rather than unusable.

Go in to appearance settings (drop down under username at top right).

Uncheck Sticky Header.
    Check Use Cosy Mode.
    Check Use Full Width.

And then come back to us. :pac:

Didn't check Use Full Width as it sounds like it's optimised for wider windows rather than narrower.

Did already try the other two - no change - do I need to log out and in again? (reluctant to do that ATM as I've loads of tabs open...)

Can't believe that the default settings don't work on windows less than 1000 pixels wide though.

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    Didn't check Use Full Width as it sounds like it's optimised for wider windows rather than narrower.

Did already try the other two - no change - do I need to log out and in again? (reluctant to do that ATM as I've loads of tabs open...)

Can't believe that the default settings don't work on windows less than 1000 pixels wide though.

You need to log out and in to change the settings. The number of tabs you have open should have no bearing on the decision to log out and in except the page currently open will have to be refreshed to obtain the new settings.

It is 960 pixels wide, and it's an industry standard. Going more narrow may come in time but is not currently an option - old skins are still available though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I switched to the new format immediately because I'm a progressive smug twat. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

gone back to the old one, clearer to see

NinjaK wrote: »
    gone back to the old one, clearer to see

If you, or anybody else would care to elaborate on your decisions to head back to old styles then drop by this thread and give it a post. We've got eyes on it, so we'll at least read your feedback and thanks for taking the time to try out the new skin :)

Danny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Danny, did you happen to change the contrast in the last 48 hours or so on the newest beta?

I'm not sure if I am used to it now or not but it doesn't seem as bright and white as before.

Danny, did you happen to change the contrast in the last 48 hours or so on the newest beta?

I'm not sure if I am used to it now or not but it doesn't seem as bright and white as before.

There have been no changes to any colours/contrasting for at least the last two weeks, probably longer. I suspect what you're seeing in a variance in monitor brightness/quality/contrast ratio. We really can't make it any brighter than white :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

There have been no changes to any colours/contrasting for about two weeks now. I suspect what you're seeing in a variance in monitor brightness/quality/contrast ratio. We really can't make it any brighter than white :)

I don't think I fooled around with my settings. I suppose I just go it.

In either case, I love it! :)

I'm quite fond of it myself, cosy mode ftw though :)

Danny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Still bright for me.
    Too bright.

You need to log out and in to change the settings. The number of tabs you have open should have no bearing on the decision to log out and in except the page currently open will have to be refreshed to obtain the new settings.

OK, done (forgot there was no need to close browser - duh)
    Hiding the header works with Javascript enabled, but I have it disabled 99% of the time...

It is 960 pixels wide, and it's an industry standard. Going more narrow may come in time but is not currently an option - old skins are still available though.

OK will stick to them for now.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

I went back to old look, and now i want to go back back to the new look how?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I like it, but I wish there was a 'I'm not in boards in work' skin. Something that looks like MS Excel would be lovely, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Keeping the old look,new look wastes too much space and I hate having to scrolll down to see all the topics on the Boards.ie home page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The new skin is like going to your local supermarket only to find that they've re-arranged some of the goods on the aisles & you no longer know where the bread is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Sticking with the tried and trusted. Besides, the new one looks like a mongoloid lashed it together as part of a "community integration" project.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

old one.. if it's not broke don't fix it etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

SeanW wrote: »
    I'm still using the existing boards layout with the green skin, as I've been doing for a while now. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Same here, can't be topped. The new look is like someone would come up with for a TY project. Same as the gmail new look, terrible and went back to the old one. Too white, too bright and too much wasted space. I want compact and good dark colour contrast. Makes for far quicker searching and reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Sean Mullen

how do i switch back to the new look?:o i liked it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

What... I mean 'What?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

To be honest I haven't really noticed it, and I'm usually the first to complain about skin changes on websites. Nice thing about this one is, everything is more or less still in the same place, it just looks different.

My only complaint is the trail links (Home > Rec > After Hours > Are you keeping the new look? > Reply to Thread) is much smaller than it used to be and not above the thread title, which I continually keep forgetting.
    Apart from that it's grand.

Made me realize something as well: Whenever Facebook or whatever shakes up their layout and we all start complaining, we're not actually complaining about the new LOOK, we're complaining about the fact that we basically have to learn an entirely new way of navigating the site because all the buttons are in different places. In this case, they're all the same so I haven't found myself resenting the new Boards style at all.

Advertisement