Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkee holiday?

• 17-07-2012 8:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I did search Kilkee but couldnt find any recient info on this town.
    Basically were looking at taking the nearly 3 yr old there on a weeks break towards the end of August. Some really good prices for a week self catering!
    Would Kilkee be a ghost town at that time of year?
    I do understand the weather will be a big factor but how far would it be for a drive to Lahinch,Lisdoonvarna and other towns which may be of interest.
    Have done some of Clare's towns over 10 years ago but cant really recall to much-it was a session holiday lol!
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Kilkee is a great spot (my father is from there), it is hampered by being branded "Little Limerick" in the Summer as a lot of Limerick people move down their, but by the end of August there shouldn't be any hassle or problems there.

It's a very safe beach with very little rocks so it'd be ideal for a 3 year old. It's about half an hour's drive to Lahinch, if you are looking for family days out to other areas you can just head up the coast road (some amazing scenery) and enjoy the drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Munster rugby shirt/jacket is essential attire :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Little Limerick?? Does that mean Moyross/Southhill on tour. Appologies if i offend there. Dont mean to, im a Dub and i know how most of us head down to Wexford for the summer.
    Im guessing that there would be a lot of people from Limerick but no trouble!! Would that be true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Huge caravan parks filled with families from Limerick who go there all summer or on the weekends, rain or shine. Great spot, good family vibe, and even if it is pissing all summer it will be backed with people in their holiday homes and caravans who come out and will stay there at the beach no matter what the weather.

All joking aside, I was there recently and although the weather was poor the beach is lovely. Great fun seemed to be had at the Pollock holes and the walk up along the cliffs is worth a visit on its own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    Little Limerick?? Does that mean Moyross/Southhill on tour. Appologies if i offend there. Dont mean to, im a Dub and i know how most of us head down to Wexford for the summer.
    Im guessing that there would be a lot of people from Limerick but no trouble!! Would that be true?

Biggest trouble I ever saw was an August bank holiday when people who live in caravans arrived into the main car park en masse. The place was complete mayhem and the gardai were totally overloaded.

There was an incident where they allegedly gate crashed a private hotel swimming pool, all in for a free bath together, you get the idea!

Anyway if they turn up this year they will be long gone by then and the place will be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Thanks for the replies,
    Going to book it tonight, i reckon we'll get great weather too!!!
    Yeah i really am an optimist!!!

Cheers all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

You won't be sorry. Kilkee is a lovely place to go to, no matter what the weather holds for you. It can be a base and you can travel to other sightseeing spots like Loop Head Lighthouse (open to the public now), Lahinch, Spanish Point, Ailwee Caves, Cliffs of Moher (dear but worth it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Great idea for a holiday

And drive around too, lots of suggestions above ^^^^

Another thing you can do on one day is get the ferry across the Shannon estuary and go for a spin around North Kerry. The 3 year old will love the ferry, something new and different

You can return then that evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Ms Haugh said that fresh tests were taken at the three beaches yesterday and it would be Sunday before the results were known.

Someone got the finger out?

Seems strange that new results are available so quickly on foot of that statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Someone got the finger out?

Seems strange that new results are available so quickly on foot of that statement.

Strange indeed!

Mayor Vaughn: I'm only trying to say that Amity is a summer town. We need summer dollars. Now, if the people can't swim here, they'll be glad to swim at the beaches of Cape Cod, the Hamptons, Long Island... Jaws (1975)

Advertisement