Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuprinol, how many coats

• 17-07-2012 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

I am painting a fence for someone with Cuprinol. She does not have much money and this is 36 euro a tin. The tin says do two or three coats. I have done one coat and used two tins. She does not want the expense of more paint but is concerned if one coat will protect it.

The colour is fine and came out even. Advce appreciated. Is that two/three coats just to sell more paint?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,992 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Departed wrote: »
    I am painting a fence for someone with Cuprinol. She does not have much money and this is 36 euro a tin. The tin says do two or three coats. I have done one coat and used two tins. She does not want the expense of more paint but is concerned if one coat will protect it.

The colour is fine and came out even. Advce appreciated. Is that two/three coats just to sell more paint?

It very much depends on the condition of the fence, for example had it been painted before and if so are you using the same color when repainting.

Cuprinol is more expensive than fence life and I can only speak from experience of fence life which requires one coat. I not only have fencing but a timber cladded (ship lap) extension on my house, I put one coat of Fence life on around 6 years ago and its still perfect and I live on top of a mountain. The fencing does get a little more exposure so at least one coat every three/four years. Just a final point on Cuprinol, I purchased the spray on pack with rechargable battery, it was a disaster and very wasteful, they sell a sprayable version for the pack, avoid at all costs.

Try to use the same colors when repainting at all times if at all possible and a light sanding is always advisable.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Departed

Dempo1 wrote: »
    It very much depends on the condition of the fence, for example had it been painted before and if so are you using the same color when repainting.

Cuprinol is more expensive than fence life and I can only speak from experience of fence life which requires one coat. I not only have fencing but a timber cladded (ship lap) extension on my house, I put one coat of Fence life on around 6 years ago and its still perfect and I live on top of a mountain. The fencing does get a little more exposure so at least one coat every three/four years. Just a final point on Cuprinol, I purchased the spray on pack with rechargable battery, it was a disaster and very wasteful, they sell a sprayable version for the pack, avoid at all costs.

Try to use the same colors when repainting at all times if at all possible and a light sanding is always advisable.
    The fence was never painted before. colour is fine. BTW I found fence life useless i washed off my own fence in parts. You probably know Cuprinol is solvent based fencelife water based. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,992 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Departed wrote: »
    The fence was never painted before. colour is fine. BTW I found fence life useless i washed off my own fence in parts. You probably know Cuprinol is solvent based fencelife water based. Thanks

Yes indeed but being solvent based its a nightmare when coming to re painting, requiring heavy sanding etc. Whilst my on experience with Fence Life is excellent, lasting in excess of 5 years, what i liked about it is the fact it fades rather than blisters, peels etc like cuprinol of solvent based paints generally. Just a case in point this very week (in the middle of showers), i had some old Ivy Green Fence life, a small 2x1 railing i made around a decking area needed touching up after 5 years, just a quick wash down, removing of cobwebs etc, a dollop of the fence life, fence like new. Fence life is also excellent on rough finish timbers.

Its a matter of preference I guess but its the long term maintainence I considered in my choice!

Happy painting!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ridgeway Wood Stain.......10 euro for a large tub of this.

Comes in black,red,green,brown and grey.

Water based,so safe to animals and flowers too.

Fade resistant and water repellent too.

Dry in under an hour,2 coats on bare PT (pressure treated) wood and its does the job perfectly.:D

Available from Fleetwood Trade Paints and B&Q too.;)

A small foam gloss paint roller and paint brush is a great easy way to apply the wood stain.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Few more pics.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Cuprinol is rubbish. Waste of money and effort. I had to completely strip and sand my deck of this stuff as it peeled after a yr.
    Got Sikkens 5litre tins of their woodstain for about 60 eur. Oil based and 3yr later is still like new

Advertisement