Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub/restaurant for kids

Options
  • 17-07-2012 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

Just wondering if there is anywhere in Dublin that has a pub/restaurant with an indoor play area (playhouse and toys etc) for my 18 month to play around in while we can enjoy a meal. I'm not looking for an actual kidszone, just a little area in a restaurant. I know there probably isn't anything like this in Dublin but just thought I would see if anyone had come across one at all?

Many Thanks
    Kim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

Spur in Liffey Valley shopping centre has some sort of play area in it....but havent actually seen it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I doubt there are many/any places where an 18 month old can be left to play while the parents have a meal.

We have an 18 month old and we attempted to go for lunch on Sunday. It was clear after 20 minutes that it wasn't going to go well so we left.

I think the only way parents of a baby/toddler can enjoy a meal in peace is to leave them with a granny/aunty/babysitter and go for dinner themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I doubt there are many/any places where an 18 month old can be left to play while the parents have a meal.

We have an 18 month old and we attempted to go for lunch on Sunday. It was clear after 20 minutes that it wasn't going to go well so we left.

I think the only way parents of a baby/toddler can enjoy a meal in peace is to leave them with a granny/aunty/babysitter and go for dinner themselves.

I disagree with this. Bring some colours and small toys and ask for the children to be served first. Not always going to go perfectly but its a learning experience for kids anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

OP , I don't know anywhere TBH ( unless you count McD's in Kylemore ! , Which I imagine is not really what you are looking for )

On the subject of kids / toddlers in restaurants . That's an interesting one , I sort of agree with Foxy06 , although of course there are limits , I wouldn't attempt a romantic 3 course meal :)

Kids do need to learn table manners from an early age. Learning how to sit still for a while , all be it with colouring books etc is an important skill for later life.

We have taken our now 6YO out many times since she was born , usually at lunchtime , we would do as Foxy06 suggests , we would also be pretty careful to chose places that are vaguely family friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I agree but I also believe in picking your fights. If you can see a meltdown approaching then no amount of colouring books or toys are going to change that. Some days eating out is fine, others it's a no go.

I personally find Japanese, Chinese and pizza places best as he eats what we eat, so he's kept busy, and the food comes quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

While I'm not a huge fan of the restaurant itself, two Sundays ago we went to Milano's in Dawson Street with kids (one of which is 18 months). At the back of the restaurant they have an area where they've put a load of brightly coloured plastic toys on the floor that the kids are welcome to play with.

The kids played while we ordered and waited for courses and then ate with us when the food arrived.

The parents are responsible for supervising the kids of course, but the staff were very welcoming and did a great job of not standing on the kids as they served us. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

As with everything else with a kid, preparation is the key. Pack crayons, a colouring book and a reading book and anywhere is a potential kid friendly restaurant :D

One thing as well is, bring something for them to eat with you, like a liga biscuit or something because I one thing I found was when the food arrives it's to adult temperature and you've already spent a certain amount of time entertaining them till the food arrives, when it does it's too hot to eat! So bring them something to nibble on while you blow! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I find wagamama in Dundrum (haven't been to many others) hugely baby/ child friendly.
    They have great seats for them, plenty of crayons, colouring in pages etc., and the food is nice and healthy. And as someone else mentioned, it arrives quickly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Wagamama is a great idea... I had totally forgotten about that place. Smallie loves noodles at the moment. Weekend lunch out for us maybe. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

pwurple wrote: »
    Wagamama is a great idea... I had totally forgotten about that place. Smallie loves noodles at the moment. Weekend lunch out for us maybe. :)

We were there for lunch today. It's become a favourite really quickly. Even all the staff are really friendly, happy to laugh at R's antics, really relaxed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement