Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Galway depressing?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

pat.folan wrote: »
    Galway is not Dublin.

Thank God :D

I am much travelled & I chose Galway above all other (today's weather might of made me think twice). I genuinely believe that Galway is one of the best towns in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Nothing for teens to do!!!!????? Are you kidding me!!?? You'd want to be a right couch potatoe lard arse to do nothing in Galway. :eek:

1) You can learn to sail, in the city for €60 pa student membership (and get out on the water twice a week), and you pay a couple of quid (about 3) per sail for hire of equipment, life jacket etc.). No where else in Ireland is it that cheap. Actually, that includes wind surfing too;)

2) As a teen I joined Macnas and had a blast. My son did it years later and learnt to stilt walk. Free!!!

3) There's heaps of free events if you just look for it, between the museum, the college during the year, not just Arts festival.

4) There's Galway community circus

5) The Gaf is the cafe on Eglington street for 14-25yr olds. They also host workshops, song writer nights etc. (No link, sorry, they don't have a web page). Free!!!

May I finally add, if it ain't in a pub, most teens can go to adult stuff. There's nothing stopping them going to a show, a rugby match in the Connaught grounds, a free classical concert in Kenny's or join St. Pat's brass band Inexpensive music lessons!!

I'm sorry, I've worked with teens for years and I know the kind of people who say there's nothing for teens to do. They are usually moaners who would rather buy a play station for their kid and complain than actually spend the money on music lessons, sports gear, tickets to a show or google 'what's on'.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Yedya

But 14 is a teen age!!

What are you interested in doing?

Paintball,airsoft,lasertag and going to proper gigs.I do make movies also when i can get the people together
    Greaney wrote: »
    Nothing for teens to do!!!!????? Are you kidding me!!?? You'd want to be a right couch potatoe lard arse to do nothing in Galway. :eek:

1) You can learn to sail, in the city for €60 pa student membership (and get out on the water twice a week), and you pay a couple of quid (about 3) per sail for hire of equipment, life jacket etc.). No where else in Ireland is it that cheap. Actually, that includes wind surfing too;)

2) As a teen I joined Macnas and had a blast. My son did it years later and learnt to stilt walk. Free!!!

3) There's heaps of free events if you just look for it, between the museum, the college during the year, not just Arts festival.

4) There's Galway community circus

5) The Gaf is the cafe on Eglington street for 14-25yr olds. They also host workshops, song writer nights etc. (No link, sorry, they don't have a web page). Free!!!

May I finally add, if it ain't in a pub, most teens can go to adult stuff. There's nothing stopping them going to a show, a rugby match in the Connaught grounds, a free classical concert in Kenny's or join St. Pat's brass band Inexpensive music lessons!!

I'm sorry, I've worked with teens for years and I know the kind of people who say there's nothing for teens to do. They are usually moaners who would rather buy a play station for their kid and complain than actually spend the money on music lessons, sports gear, tickets to a show or google 'what's on'.

Im not really into macnas or anything of that sort.I guess theres plenty of things to do for that "crowd". A show? what show? A free classical concert? really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Gizmo2000

Way to go Yedya, you have brought a refreshingly positive thread about this great city to a standstill with your negative and ignorant opinions.
    You stated that you are not 14 years of age but you have presented yourself with an immature and obnoxious attitude that would be fitting of someone that isn't much older.

You stated that there is very little for a teenager to do in Galway and were presented with a multitude of activities that are geared towards but not exclusive to the teenage demographic. From thirteen right up to college age and beyond there are plenty of things to do here for people with the motivation to participate. Plenty.

You were asked what your interests were:
    Yedya wrote: »
    Paintball,airsoft,lasertag and going to proper gigs.I do make movies also when i can get the people together

Im not really into macnas or anything of that sort.I guess theres plenty of things to do for that "crowd". A show? what show? A free classical concert? really?

My heart bleeds for you that nowhere local facilitates your primary interest of shooting at people with toy guns. I guess you're just too cool for all the other boring activities that were suggested and had to think hard about what Galway doesn't have!

What kind of 'Movies' do you make? You know if you got involved in Macnas- the Theate and Arts group then you may find like minded individuals amongst that "crowd" that would love to be involved in whatever project you have on the go.

So the only show in Galway recently was a free classical concert? Really?
    From the Ocean race to the arts festival to the film fleadh to the races that was the only show? Really?

Take your head out of your hole kid and look around you once in a while. Just maybe you'll shake off that pessimism going into adulthood.

And to the OP, Galway is a brilliant city.
    My home of the last 9 years and I have no intention of leaving.
    Provided you come here with a better attitude than Yedya, you'll have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Thanks Gizmo, when the poster was so derogatory about Macnas and the Art's 'Crowd' I figured they'd dis any suggestions so I gave up on them. I had thought my post had offered a good choice for all tastes but there's no satisfying some folk. They just have to be negative

Just by the way, I have worked with Macnas on and off for the past 20 years and I've met all sorts, many of whom just joined up for a bit to get to know people, or get out of the house. They had no huge interest in the Arts to start with, they just wanted the craic.

Macnas used to approach different groups every year that would not normally do 'the Art's thang'. 'Active retirement groups, folk with disabilaties, Schools (including Primary), Youth projects and Sports clubs. Thousands of people over the years who would never have thought to do anything 'Arty' spent a summer with Macnas and had a blast. You have to admit, that's a pretty varied 'crowd':rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Gizmo2000 wrote: »
    Way to go Yedya, you have brought a refreshingly positive thread about this great city to a standstill with your negative and ignorant opinions.
    You stated that you are not 14 years of age but you have presented yourself with an immature and obnoxious attitude that would be fitting of someone that isn't much older.

You stated that there is very little for a teenager to do in Galway and were presented with a multitude of activities that are geared towards but not exclusive to the teenage demographic. From thirteen right up to college age and beyond there are plenty of things to do here for people with the motivation to participate. Plenty.

You were asked what your interests were:

My heart bleeds for you that nowhere local facilitates your primary interest of shooting at people with toy guns. I guess you're just too cool for all the other boring activities that were suggested and had to think hard about what Galway doesn't have!

What kind of 'Movies' do you make? You know if you got involved in Macnas- the Theate and Arts group then you may find like minded individuals amongst that "crowd" that would love to be involved in whatever project you have on the go.

So the only show in Galway recently was a free classical concert? Really?
    From the Ocean race to the arts festival to the film fleadh to the races that was the only show? Really?

Take your head out of your hole kid and look around you once in a while. Just maybe you'll shake off that pessimism going into adulthood.

And to the OP, Galway is a brilliant city.
    My home of the last 9 years and I have no intention of leaving.
    Provided you come here with a better attitude than Yedya, you'll have a great time.
    I make movies myself,proper ones.I tried a local community centre,it was a movie group.Biggest load of **** ever,never filmed anything.So i set out and got some actors from the NUIG film course,one of them actually attended Macnas....I like doing things I enjoy,macnas would actually be a good place to pick up actors actually...

I find it funny how you are so offended,Galway is great craic yes,but really there isn't much to do.Airsoft guns are far from toys,its actually a sport played worldwide and now played in Ireland,so lose the condescending tone.

Volvo ocean race was a great week,i flew into Ireland for it actually.I can't remember any good acts tho.....Great aul craic none the less,lovely to see Galway so alive and busy.
    As for as the pessimistic attidude,well Im Irish :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Gizmo2000

You're right Yedya, my attitude was condescending and for that I apologise.
    I myself have participated in paintball, lazertag and airsoft and admit that it is good craic. A couple of my friends are into Airsoft in a big way up in Sligo where apparently there is a pretty big scene.
    It drives them mad too when I call them toy guns. :D
    Incidentally, its only 1hr45mins away from Galway so not too far to travel if you wanted to participate regularly.

I wasn't offended by your posts, just felt compelled to pull you up on the negativity.
    I am still annoyed by your insistence that 'really, there isn't much to do' for teens in Galway.
    There is.
    I do not understand how you can even present that argument and honestly stand by it.

I know it was a tongue-in-cheek comment when you suggested that being 'Irish' somehow is an excuse for being pessimistic.
    However, I am of the opinion that us Irish were viewed as being happy go-lucky with the ability to laugh in the face of adversity and get on with life through tough times.
    It is very important not to turn into a bunch of whingers and moaners and be viewed as a nation of pessimists.
    It's unfortunate that there is a certain age group that were raised during our great economic good fortune who now focus more on what they don't have than what they do.

To bring this back on topic, Galway is far from depressing.
    There is a wealth of activities to engage in and if you feel Galway is lacking something which is in demand then what is stopping you from being pro-active and setting up a club?

Gizmo2000 wrote: »
    You're right Yedya, my attitude was condescending and for that I apologise.
    I myself have participated in paintball, lazertag and airsoft and admit that it is good craic. A couple of my friends are into Airsoft in a big way up in Sligo where apparently there is a pretty big scene.
    It drives them mad too when I call them toy guns. :D
    Incidentally, its only 1hr45mins away from Galway so not too far to travel if you wanted to participate regularly.

I wasn't offended by your posts, just felt compelled to pull you up on the negativity.
    I am still annoyed by your insistence that 'really, there isn't much to do' for teens in Galway.
    There is.
    I do not understand how you can even present that argument and honestly stand by it.

I know it was a tongue-in-cheek comment when you suggested that being 'Irish' somehow is an excuse for being pessimistic.
    However, I am of the opinion that us Irish were viewed as being happy go-lucky with the ability to laugh in the face of adversity and get on with life through tough times.
    It is very important not to turn into a bunch of whingers and moaners and be viewed as a nation of pessimists.
    It's unfortunate that there is a certain age group that were raised during our great economic good fortune who now focus more on what they don't have than what they do.

To bring this back on topic, Galway is far from depressing.
    There is a wealth of activities to engage in and if you feel Galway is lacking something which is in demand then what is stopping you from being pro-active and setting up a club?
    Ah sure im going to AIT in september so il be close to an Airsoft site which im looking foward to.Most Irish people are great craic and are happy,i do think that alot of people in Ireland half a "good laugh" out of their own country,if you get me.

As far as nothing to do,well for me and a vast majority of teens my age find that Galway can get very boring,after living there all my life...It's not Depressing.I have some mad nights out...

I don't have money to set up a club i don't.I would love to start my own club,however when i get home I plan on asking some promoters for bookings get some local Producers down for a few gigs.That said,i think the new Garda commissioner is cracking down on clubs and shutting them down very early.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

biko wrote: »
    I think it's just easier for you to visit one weekend and see for yourself. Whereabouts in Galway are you referring too? You know that Galway city has a large poplulation?

Not really. When you factor in the cost of transportation, accommodation, food and beverage costs, I think it would be significantly easier for someone to just type a few word and tell him what they think, which is what the OP asked for originally.

GB

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Reading other posts by OP it turns out he/she is from sunny Arizona in the US and here to study at NUIG.
    This means he/she is not asking about the county but the city - referring to Galway as "tiny" is odd as it's the largest county in Ireland after Cork - hence I assume he/she means the city which is only the 4th largest.

OP I suggest you use the NUIG forum for your questions.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement