Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple and their Nano Sims for the iPhone 5

• 17-07-2012 11:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,326 ✭✭✭✭

Rumors are the Networks are starting to stockpile new type nano sims. These sims are not usesd in any phones at the moment and judging by the size of them you won't be able to use these in any existing phones even with the help of an adapter.

nanosim.jpg

I think it's Apple trying to re-invent a wheel that's not broken. There trying to lock people into their hardware and make it as painful as possible to switch from phone to phone. Bad move, will turn me off even considering an iphone 5.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Rumors are the Networks are starting to stockpile new type nano sims. These sims are not usesd in any phones at the moment and judging by the size of them you won't be able to use these in any existing phones even with the help of an adapter.

nanosim.jpg

I think it's Apple trying to re-invent a wheel that's not broken. There trying to lock people into their hardware and make it as painful as possible to switch from phone to phone. Bad move, will turn me off even considering an iphone 5.

What do you think?

Existing sim cards are very big and apple are trying to get them as small as possible for really thin phones.

I don't see it as a big problem, carriers can easily port your number over to a sim card that matches your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,326 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You need a standard sim for the iphone 3G/3GS
    You need a micro sim for the iphone 4/4S
    Now you need a Nano sim for the iphone 5

To me that's daft. It's something that should be agreed with all the mobile phone companies much like the standard charger, apple didn't subscribe to that though. There really out on their own in a bad way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

No big deal, once it's in you'll hardly be taking it out anyway. I'm more annoyed that they seem to be changing the charger on the iPhone 5 as I have a good docking station.

smash wrote: »
    No big deal, once it's in you'll hardly be taking it out anyway. I'm more annoyed that they seem to be changing the charger on the iPhone 5 as I have a good docking station.

If it's changed to anything but a mico usb charger it shouldn't be allowed go on sale in Europe. I've a feeling they'll make you buy a new docking station.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

If it's changed to anything but a mico usb charger it shouldn't be allowed go on sale in Europe. I've a feeling they'll make you buy a new docking station.

There is an adaptor that will be available to mate the new dock to the older dock ;)

• Advertisement

reports are that they've changed from a 32 pin to a 16 pin to allow for larger speakers.
    kceire wrote: »
    There is an adaptor that will be available to mate the new dock to the older dock ;)
    That's still very annoying. I have a usb adapter and sd card reader that fit perfectly... now I'll have to buy more bits :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

The reason Apple keeps pursuing smaller SIM cards is simple because SIM cards are big for no reason.

They may not seem that big to you & me, but when you're trying to design a cell phone to be as powerful & thin as a modern smartphone, every little bit of space counts.

Personally I've nothing against it. When I got my Nokia Lumia, I was given a free MicroSIM for it, then when I switched back, I was given a regular SIM.
    If the cost of better hardware is having to go to the shop every time I get a new phone, I think I can live with that.

now I'll have to buy more bits :(

Your in the richest 1% of the worlds population if you can afford and iphone, you even pay more for everything online, http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18595347 ;)

Your in the richest 1% of the worlds population if you can afford and iphone, you even pay more for everything online, http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18595347 ;)

Wow. I didn't realise that a free phone made you rich! :D

Dumb journalism there.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Remember when sim cards where proper credit card sized?

No.... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Yes they used to be Full Sim(credit card sized for old satellite phones etc), mini sim(the 'normal' ones people are used to now), micro sim(iphone 4/4s), and now the upcoming nano sim.

Man I never remember a credit card sized sim. Even back when my dad had a carphone and an old 088 number...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't see how this can be percieved as Apple trying to lock you in their hardware. This isn't a proprietary sim card we're talking about here. Apple are trying to force a new standard. It's in Apple's interest that other manufacturers adopt it as well. Otherwise they are making the iPhone just as difficult to switch to as to switch away from.

Apple are trying to force a new standard.

This is a Global product with an industry standard. Apple can't just walk along and force everyone to follow with "their" new standard. How arrogant can you get, it has to bite you at some stage. There too far ahead of the curve on this one.

This is a Global product with an industry standard. Apple can't just walk along and force everyone to follow with "their" new standard. How arrogant can you get, it has to bite you at some stage. There too far ahead of the curve on this one.
    There's nothing to say the next samsung isn't going down the same route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

It's only really a pain in the arse if your iPhone 5 is damaged and you have to send it away for a week or two. At which point, unless you're utterly minted, you'll drop back and use an older phone, which won't take the smaller sim. If you can buy an adapter then it will be fine but if they simply won't work because the smaller size of the chip then it's a bigger issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭niallharty

In a world where no smartphone company wants to risk adding extra millimeters to a phone when they add more memory or a big processor... They need to find ways such as making the sim card smaller to make more room in the phone. Nokia are planning on doing this too.
    Sure look how the sd card evolved over the course of a few years with the micro sd is barely bigger than the tip of your finger... As technology advances it takes up less space really like flat screen tvs etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Jeeze...you can buy an adapter.

I have an adapter for my micro sim.

Stick it in and use any phone I want

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Don't see a problem with it.
    It's the new nano sim standard and is supposed to be backwards compatible with a simple adaptor.
    I'm surprised it's ready to go in the iphone 5 as it was only adopted as the standard at the start of June.

Jeeze...you can buy an adapter.

I have an adapter my micro sim.

Stick it in and use any phone I want

You've missed it, were on about nano sims not micro sims.

Can you provide a link anywhere in the world where you can get a nano sim adapter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Can you provide a link anywhere in the world where you can get a nano sim adapter?

nothing missed.....

I understand that....

Guarantee within a week of Nano Sim, an Adapter will be released

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

http://www.engadget.com/tag/nano-SIM/

some interesting articles

You don't need the micro usb to be on the phone.
    The iphone 4S complies with the requirement by having a micro usb to dock connector adapter, I imagine the 5 will do it the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Well, exactly. They're not forcing their standard on anybody. They're part of the process to decide what the new industry standard will be. They're not just plowing through with their own proprietry format.

Made in Germany apparently.
    http://nano-sim-adapter-shop.com/mini-uicc-sim-adapter.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't see how this is locking anyone into any hardware.

If you want to change phone, you get your provider to send you out an appropriate SIM and you switch it across. It's free. A minor irritant really, but not enough to stop anyone from switching hardware.

The aim of course is to move to an embedded SIM so that you don't have to change the SIM card at all, you just register the device's IMEI with your carrier, and it instantly becomes active on their network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

How do you think Industry standards are created?

A bunch of companies says "Hey everybody, use my thing". One company wins.

Just look at BluRay Vs HDDVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭squonk

In this case Apple drove this process but Samsung and a few others on the other side wanted to push their own common standard. In the end after some horse trading, they reached agreement around May/June so it's likely your Galaxy S4 might well come with the nano SIM as well. Apple look like they'll be first to market on this one but won't be on their own for long I'd bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

DjFlin wrote: »
    How do you think Industry standards are created?

A bunch of companies says "Hey everybody, use my thing". One company wins.

Just look at BluRay Vs HDDVD.
    Usually a consortium of companies agrees on a standard and runs with it, because 20 individual companies pushing their own standards makes a bit of a mess of the market. This is why you get format wars only involving two or three formats.

In this case though, the SIM format is agreed by practically every major telecommunications operator in the world, so there aren't really any competing standards. That is, Apple don't have one SIM format and Samsung another. They sit down and agree on a single format, and that's the only one that appears on the market.

In this way, the SIM format follows a universally agreed and natural progression, rather than survival of the fittest, because this is the most cost-effective method.

Apple can really only be accused of forcing the standards to be agreed and implemented faster rather than forcing their own "standards" on everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭_ricochet_

For the USB charger adapter thingy apple will have a 6 month exclusivity on selling the adapter, expect it to be costly!

Advertisement