Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple and their Nano Sims for the iPhone 5

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

_ricochet_ wrote: »
    For the USB charger adapter thingy apple will have a 6 month exclusivity on selling the adapter, expect it to be costly!

The current iPhone/iPad to micro USB costs 9euros
    http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MD099ZM/A

Kinda expensive for what it is but not total ripoff unless you charge your phone at lots of places and need buy several.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,590 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Existing sim cards are very big and apple are trying to get them as small as possible for really thin phones.

I don't see it as a big problem, carriers can easily port your number over to a sim card that matches your phone.
    +1 to all of this.
    Commen sense really.
    You need a standard sim for the iphone 3G/3GS
    You need a micro sim for the iphone 4/4S
    Now you need a Nano sim for the iphone 5

To me that's daft. It's something that should be agreed with all the mobile phone companies much like the standard charger, apple didn't subscribe to that though. There really out on their own in a bad way.
    The new sim will be the agreed upon one :confused:
    This is a Global product with an industry standard. Apple can't just walk along and force everyone to follow with "their" new standard. How arrogant can you get, it has to bite you at some stage. There too far ahead of the curve on this one.

lol
    The decision to move to a new sim is something that all manufacturers agree upon. Nokia were/are developing one, and samsung are also moving forward and will prob adopt the apple one.

This is really basic stuff and happens all the time.
    Betamax/VHS
    Laser Disc/DVD
    HD-DVD/Bluray

Even everyday givens such as USB, HDMI, WiFi, Bluetooth all went through a similar process.
    You are making an issue here over nothing simply because its Apple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

smash wrote: »
    now I'll have to buy more bits :(

Your in the richest 1% of the worlds population if you can afford and iphone, you even pay more for everything online, http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18595347 ;)

That stat is probably horsehit given they are 7% of the total phone market.

Edit: and the link doesn't show anything about iPhones nor that Mac users pay more for the same stuff online but that they are directed to the more expensive stuff.

An appalling ill informed number of posts for one thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Anyway nothing to see here except ill informed Apple bashing. They are using an industry standard sim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Mr.S wrote: »
    smash wrote: »
    Man I never remember a credit card sized sim. Even back when my dad had a carphone and an old 088 number...

Some phones did! I still have my mums Motoralla brick of a phone from 1995 and it uses a credit card sized sim (the actual sim card is the same as a standard sim card but the whole thing is a credit card!)

Like this!

472115089_0069defe05_o.jpg

You still get the full sized card with every Sim pack, you have to break of the mini or micro Sim to put it in your phone.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »

The aim of course is to move to an embedded SIM so that you don't have to change the SIM card at all, you just register the device's IMEI with your carrier, and it instantly becomes active on their network.

Exactly, Apple want to get rid of the SIM completely and emulate it all on the phone. They already pushed for this but got fierce resistance off the mobile networks.

So Apple are going to use their pushing power to make it smaller and smaller until the obvious choice is to move to embedded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My understanding is that an embedded SIM will require substantial changes to the way the network software works at the moment, because every carrier issues their own specific SIM and you can't register one carrier's SIM on another's network. Some Irish carriers even require you to change SIM if you're moving from PAYG to bill pay!

Embedded SIMs would turn this all on their head and it will need to be possible to use any "eSIM" on any network in the world, as well as transfer them between networks as required.

It would require a DNS-style hierarchy that all providers interconnect with, I think.

Mellor wrote: »
    Kenno90 wrote: »
    I don't see it as a big problem, carriers can easily port your number over to a sim card that matches your phone.
    +1 to all of this.
    Commen sense really.

Its just a pain though.. I have a few phones - just one good one. i like to bring an old phone when i go abroad... I normally use iphone but like to mess with androids the odd time... Spot of development and website testing also.
    The adapter (bit of plastic to make the sim bigger) makes this easy.

If i was to get the new phone - Incompatible sims will mean im stuck to that one phone without a visit to the o2 shop each time i want change...

Hopefully there is a nano sim adapter that works...

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,590 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ozmo wrote: »
    Its just a pain though.. I have a few phones - just one good one. i like to bring an old phone when i go abroad... I normally use iphone but like to mess with androids the odd time... Spot of development and website testing also.

If i was to get the new phone - Incompatible sims will mean im stuck to that one phone without a visit to the o2 shop each time i want change...

There will be an adapter imo, I believe one was already link to earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Not an issue for me. Look how the iPhone has changed in 5 years, the sim must change as technology does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

hardCopy wrote: »
    You still get the full sized card with every Sim pack, you have to break of the mini or micro Sim to put it in your phone.

Not any more. Certain microSIMs are now delivered with the smallest of housing around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I think it's Apple trying to re-invent a wheel that's not broken. There trying to lock people into their hardware and make it as painful as possible to switch from phone to phone. Bad move, will turn me off even considering an iphone 5.

What do you think?

You don't seem to grasp two things.

Firstly Apple are battling to use every free square millimetre of space inside the phone.

Secondly only a tiny amount of the space on the SIM is actually used and a large amount of unnecessary space is taken up by useless plastic and the mount for it.

So they are doing what any great company does, drive forward with new ideas and push the industry to higher and higher standards, while their competitors laze around.

Technology moves on ... old farts get left behind :D

Piliger wrote: »
    Technology moves on ... old farts get left behind

thats not fair - external interfaces are the most critical things to keep compatible -

I agree that the smaller the sim the better - and fair play to Apple for making the move -
    I also acknowledge they have kept it pin compatible and also very easy to shim in with an adapter.

So well done apple in both moving forward and keeping backward compatibility.

But your argument that change without backward compatibility is ok - is totally flawed and Not what apple did in this case.

“Roll it back”

thats not fair - external interfaces are the most critical things to keep compatible -

I agree that the smaller the sim the better - and fair play to Apple for making the move -
    I also acknowledge they have kept it pin compatible and also very easy to shim in with an adapter.

So well done apple in both moving forward and keeping backward compatibility.
    Agreed. And you left out my smilie :)
    But your argument that change without backward compatibility is ok - is totally flawed and Not what apple did in this case.
    Well ... let's be fair - I didn't actually make any reference, straight or inferred, to change without backward compatibility being good ....

On the other hand there are times when backward compatibility has to be left behind. However in this case the apparent immediate availability of compact adapters seems more than adequate, after ca 9 years with the old plug, with news that other device manufacturers are to do the same.

Advertisement