Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom e-mail settings for tablet

Options
  • 17-07-2012 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi,
    I know there have been other threads looking for this answer and I have read them. My exact query hasn't been answered so I apologise for repeating this again.

I'm trying to set up 2 eircom e-mail addresses on an e-mail client on an android tablet. I am not currently an eircom customer. I can receive the e-mails and can send e-mails when using my home network (vodafone). The problem is sending e-mails when using free wifi networks out and about. So I know I have the correct settings for e-mail when I'm at home.

My query is this. Is it possible to link the webmail to an e-mail client rather than accessing through the internet. This would allow the client to remember the log in details and also to see e-mails from both accounts without having to log out of one and into the other. Can webmail.eircom.net be used as the outgoing server as well as the incoming?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give,
    Casher

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Casher wrote: »
    Hi,
    I know there have been other threads looking for this answer and I have read them. My exact query hasn't been answered so I apologise for repeating this again.

I'm trying to set up 2 eircom e-mail addresses on an e-mail client on an android tablet. I am not currently an eircom customer. I can receive the e-mails and can send e-mails when using my home network (vodafone). The problem is sending e-mails when using free wifi networks out and about. So I know I have the correct settings for e-mail when I'm at home.

My query is this. Is it possible to link the webmail to an e-mail client rather than accessing through the internet. This would allow the client to remember the log in details and also to see e-mails from both accounts without having to log out of one and into the other. Can webmail.eircom.net be used as the outgoing server as well as the incoming?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give,
    Casher

Hi Casher,

Can you try the following steps and let me know if that helps.

The eircom Email Server and port settings are as below :

E-mail settings:
    Mail server type: POP3
    Incoming mail server: webmail.eircom.net (port 110)
    Outgoing mail server*: mail1.eircom.net (port 25)

OR Webmail access: http://webmail.eircom.net

*Note: If you are NOT using an eircom net connection, you MUST use your internet provider's own SMTP server OR eircom webmail.

Specifically, when setting up your android tablet device, make sure, if you are connecting through eircom, that you choose the correct outgoing mailserver port. In eircom's case this is port 25. There should be no need to type in a port number for the POP3 server, though if asked, this is on port 110.

If you are not using eircom to connect to the Internet on your Tablet, then you should contact your Internet provider and request their outgoing mailserver - SMTP.

There is no need to select SSL option when using eircom Webmail and connected to the Internet through eircom. You may have to select the option 'None' if asked to choose what email security or authenication you require.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Casher

Hi Mark,
    Thanks for the quick response
    E-mail settings:
    Mail server type: POP3
    Incoming mail server: webmail.eircom.net (port 110)
    Outgoing mail server*: mail1.eircom.net (port 25)

OR Webmail access: http://webmail.eircom.net

*Note: If you are NOT using an eircom net connection, you MUST use your internet provider's own SMTP server OR eircom webmail.

I've seen these settings in previous posts and have sucessfully set up the e-mail for when I'm on my home network (vodafone) so I can send and receive e-mails at home.
    What I'm specifically wondering is when I'm using a hotel's free wifi can I use the e-mail app to access my 2 eircom.net e-mail accounts and if so what the outgoing mail server should be. I would prefer not to have to access webmail through the internet for reasons of convenience & lazyness.

Thanks again,
    Casher

Hi Mark,
    Thanks for the quick response

I've seen these settings in previous posts and have sucessfully set up the e-mail for when I'm on my home network (vodafone) so I can send and receive e-mails at home.
    What I'm specifically wondering is when I'm using a hotel's free wifi can I use the e-mail app to access my 2 eircom.net e-mail accounts and if so what the outgoing mail server should be. I would prefer not to have to access webmail through the internet for reasons of convenience & lazyness.

Thanks again,
    Casher

Hi Casher,

I checked with mail support and they advised that no if you are going through different mail clients the outgoing SMPT will need to be changed each time depending on the network or wifi I'm afraid.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks Mark for checking that out. Guess it's webmail for me!!

Thanks Mark for checking that out. Guess it's webmail for me!!

No worries,

Sorry it was not the answer you were hoping for?

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

The logical thing to do m8 is forget about eircom mail because you will have the issues you are experiencing.
    Use gmail and if you must use eircom mail, then add your pop3 eircom email to your gmail account and then you will be able to send/receive from anywhere.

http://www.howtogeek.com/?post_type=post&p=106034

Thanks Zimmerframe, a much more elegant solution. I have a gmail address so will be able to do this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 poziczek

test

Advertisement