Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Craft Beer Fest 7-10th September

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

irish_goat wrote: »
    There's going to be a homebrew demonstration stand run by Beoir and you can of course ask the brewer's themselves any questions.

I assume BeerNut is going to be doing that! I was at one of his classes three weeks ago :D

Can't remember exactly what food is going to be there but off the top of my head;
    Cheese stall
    Organic Pizza
    A decent burger van
    The Pie Man
    Spit Roast Pig
    + more.

Burren Smokehouse will be there too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Heroditas wrote: »
    I assume BeerNut is going to be doing that!
    Ha! No, people who know far more about brewing than I do will be doing it. If you want to get to the real substance of brewing rather than just piddling about with kits, this will be the place to go.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

oblivious wrote: »

not sure if its true, but the event did make a loss last year

Do you have a source for this? A set of accounts or general costing? It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that I am highly skeptical of whoever told you that it made a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

the event operates at a loss at the minute so you can't complain about price.

I think you'll find that people can and will complain about the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

There's going to be a homebrew demonstration stand run by Beoir and you can of course ask the brewer's themselves any questions.

Do you know when this will be? I'd like to see it but will only be able to go on Friday or (maybe and) Sunday.

• Advertisement

the event operates at a loss at the minute so you can't complain about price.

Ssssssssh! Don't encourage him!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

matrim wrote: »
    Do you know when this will be?
    The homebrew demo stand is scheduled to be running every day up to 9pm. Rule of thumb, though, is if you want to talk to anyone about anything at the festival, get there early.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭emco

I think the pricing is reasonable, beer is always more expensive at organized events (not held in pubs), and its also normally slop served by untrained bar staff in plastic glasses.

Also I think you'll find that people who choose to go into the craft beer industry aren't exactly motivated by big profits!

One question I have though, will there be a free glass and drink with the admission again? I couldn't fond mention of it on the site or facebuke, except for the one on Doolin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

emco wrote: »
    I think the pricing is reasonable, beer is always more expensive at organized events (not held in pubs), and its also normally slop served by untrained bar staff in plastic glasses.

I bloody love the myth that there is some sort of skill to pulling a pint.

There isn't.

None, at all. you pull the level and change the angle of the glass as it fills, that's all, it's not magic.

one of my first jobs was in a bar, I worked in abrs on and off until I finished college (even bwteen chef jobs/placements) and I'd laugh in auld lads faces when they'd say "so and so can't pull a pint". People get the stupidest ideas in their heads.

The only "skill" is maybe having to change the gas flow if it's pouring too high or if the head on the ales and lagers is acting up.

As for cask, it's even easier, if you have a two pull engine it's literally two slow pulls of the handle, nothing that needs training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Whether the event is operating at a profit or loss shouldn't be any concern to the paying punter - I think it's more important to voice your grievances to the organisers, as well as letting them know what they're doing right. One example is the food; most people agreed this was an area that should be improved upon, and I'm glad to see it's looking a lot better this time.

As for the skill in pouring a pint - most of the pints will be pulled by brewers, and not bar staff. I'm a brewer, not a barman, but I'll be doing my best to ensure our beer is being served in top condition - just like all the other brewers there.

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »

I bloody love the myth that there is some sort of skill to pulling a pint.

Fair enough I'll bow to your superior knowledge. But I think my general point that €5 is good value for a pint at this event holds true, when compared to most events; like concerts, shows, festivals, sporting events etc, where pints usually cost more and the only thing on offer is a bland lager and sometimes Guinness. And €10 for an entry fee is great value if it comes with a free drink and pint glass.

noby wrote: »
    As for the skill in pouring a pint - most of the pints will be pulled by brewers, and not bar staff. I'm a brewer, not a barman, but I'll be doing my best to ensure our beer is being served in top condition - just like all the other brewers there.

Apologies noby if it sounded like I was having a go at how the quality of drink served might be at this event I wasn't. I was comparing/ contrasting (or at least trying to!) the price and quality of beers at this event to others such as matches and concerts. Of course I expect only great things from the Irish Craft Beer Fest!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

As for cask, it's even easier, if you have a two pull engine it's literally two slow pulls of the handle, nothing that needs training.

yea until some decides to vent and serve the same day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Most of the skill with cask is in the cellarmanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I've just won tickets to this from Publin.ie. I was always going to head in anyway but this makes it that much sweeter.
    Seriously looking forward to this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

noby wrote: »

Most of the skill with cask is in the cellarmanship.

I was pointing tat out, but it all can come done if som decide to. move, vent, serve and expect a clear. pint

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

That's pulling it, but there's far more to cask that pulling a handle.

Every single bad pint I've had in the last 3 years in this country has been from cask, nearly always because the people on the other side of the bar don't understand what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Any news on 2 for 1 offers in the papers?

List of new/seasonal beers available at this year's event. Lots of lovely Cask goodness by the looks of things. Really looking forward to this now.
    • Franciscan Well Brewery will showcase a limited edition alpha dwag IPA on cask, a double hopped rebel red (which will only be available at the festival) and will feature their “coming soon” product, an Irish whiskey barrel aged stout.

• Metalman have done something different in their casks… It's all about the casks! What do you suppose they have put in them? Come along and find out.

• Trouble brewing will no doubt be causing trouble with their seasonal brew, Pumpkin Ór and some special casks!

• Whitewater will complement their usual range of kegs with McHughs 300, a trial brew using malt from Northern Ireland which will be in cask version. This is a special commission for Botanic Inns to celebrate McHughs Bar 300th birthday.

• Dungarvan’s head brewer, Cormac O’Dwyer, has put together a selection of small specials which will include Rye-PA (which was debuted at the Brewer’s on the Bay festival in Galway this year), dry hopped versions of our Helvick Gold and Copper Coast, plus a few other surprises which will be announced as they are tapped at the RDS.

• Eight Degrees will launch their Ocht-oberfest beer, a Märzen-style lager ABV 6.4%. Chat to Cam and Scott to understand why this lager has been brewed eight degrees west of Greenwich on the eighth month of the year - and served at precisely eight degrees Celsius.

• Breweyed brewery will be launching a new company brand and a new beer at the RDS festival. Their new company name is 'Bo Bristle' and the new beer is 'Bo Bristle IPA' 5% abv.

• Hilden will be bringing down its Twisted Hop Pale Ale in draught for the first time to see what the RDS crowd make of it. It will also have “Barney’s Brew” available in “Cask” - unfiltered and naturally carbonated. Originally brewed to celebrate the 200th anniversary of Barney Hughes, famous Belfast baker and Philanthropist. Brewed with the addition of Cardamom Coriander and Black Pepper and lots of Wheat for a unique taste!

• O’Hara’s will be launching a number of new products at the festival including: Oak Aged Leann Folláin (whiskey barrel aged, in cask), O’Hara’s Winter Star (cinnamon, fresh orange peel and coconut spice up this juicy Amber Ale) and O’Hara’s Natural Blonde (the best of Irish malts combined with a single hop to make this thirst quenching blonde beer).

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Wow really looking forward to this - all that choice looks fantastic how on earth am I going to try all those drinks and not wind up in A&E - any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

To all going on Friday, please don't drink all the casks :). I can't make it until opening on Saturday.

Wow really looking forward to this - all that choice looks fantastic how on earth am I going to try all those drinks and not wind up in A&E - any advice?
    Drink halves! And it helps to eat something throughout the day, and also pace yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Just for anyone who wasn't at Brewers on The Bay.

The Dungarvan Rye-PA was the star of the show by a fecking mile, was beautiful.

Looking forward to trying the IPA from the re-branded breweyes boys, hopefully is's an American style IPA rather than a boring English style :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Weekend ticket ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Thanks Matrim
    Weekend would be great but babysitters won't stretch that far and don't have fake I.D. for our toddler yet ;). I'm sure I'll be able to take my time and savour the fabulous flavours.

Thanks Matrim
    Weekend would be great but babysitters won't stretch that far and don't have fake I.D. for our toddler yet ;). I'm sure I'll be able to take my time and savour the fabulous flavours.

The event is pretty child friendly. Few kids there last year. Obviously you don't want to have them there until 11 o'clock though!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

hope to go Saturday but will be Billy no mates as the lads i know will only drink the good stuff like heineken and guinness.

I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas at this stage!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Is there any point going if I can't drink? I'd have to drive in.

• Advertisement

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Is there any point going if I can't drink? I'd have to drive in.
    Well it is a beer festival

Advertisement