Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for someone looking for a job during college

Options
  • 17-07-2012 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭

Hi! I'm starting college in September, and really, really want to get a job for, well, whatever length of time I can. Evenings and/or weekends, seeing as I'll be busy during the day. I've currently got pretty much zero work experience - worked as an attendant for two weeks during exams a couple of years ago, did a tiny bit of babysitting, and that's literally all I've got. I know the odds of me getting any work are very low, but I'm desperate to get a bit of work so I'll at least have something to put on my CV in the future!

What I want to know is, when is the best time to hand out CVs? Should I hand out as many as possible around mid-August? Earlier? Closer to September? I was thinking that around then would be an okay time to look for work, because weekend staff will have worked all summer, and a tiny minority of them might decide not to continue working weekends for the coming year, for various reasons. (I looked for work locally around the same time last year, and although most responses I got (if any) said they weren't taking people on at that time of year, I did get an interview, and probably would've gotten weekday work if I had been available for it.)

If you've any advice for when/where/how to look for work as a student, I'd be grateful.

(I'm hoping this forum is suitable for this thread seeing as most people posting here are probably hoping to get part-time work during college too. If not, feel free to move it wherever is appropriate.)

Advertisement