Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice regarding C-Section over VBAC

• 17-07-2012 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am posting this on behalf of my wife, who is due in 5 weeks. This is our second baby, the first was an emergency section as he was breech and arrived 4 weeks early.

My wife has been weighing up the pros and cons of another c-section versus VBAC for a long time. We have done a lot of research etc, and she decided she does not want to go for a VBAC. When she broached this subject at the last appointment with her doc in the Rotunda (we are going semi-private btw), it was pretty much brushed aside and she was told "You can have a VBAC, no issues - it is our policy". She was caught a bit by surprise to be honest, as she was expecting the doc to at least listen to her concerns and their to be at least a discussion about it. Anyway, it upset her a bit and the next day she rang the midwife who was more understanding and said that yes they would encourage a VBAC but at the end of the day it comes down to what she wants.

Cut to the present, and she has another appointment tomorrow. I am going along to this one also and we are going in with the goal of leaving having the issue decided and put on her file, at least she can then focus on seeing out the rest of the pregnancy without worrying about this issue. We are going to basically say that we have been thinking about the options for a long time, have done a lot of research and also listened to their advice, but the decision is made and we do not want a VBAC. So I am looking for any advice on how to approach this from anyone who may have been in a similar situation.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Bring your research with you. Show them you're not just saying you've done research. Tell them in no uncertain terms you want an elective c section or you'll be looking for a meeting with the master of the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

I agree with January tell them what ye want and be firm with Dr.
    If you wanted a mechanic or plumber to do a particular job you would just tell him so don`t be too shy telling doctors what ye want in this more important situation... :)
    And good luck with the pregnancy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

The thing is the evidence supports VBAC. It's fascinating that the Rotunda has a VBAC policy and the policy itself makes VBAC more difficult to attain ie continuous monitoring, time limits, staff shortages. You're making an informed decision so just ask the Doctor you see to document it. I wish more Dads would attend antenatal appointments with Mums for these kinds of discussions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

SanFran07 wrote: »
    The thing is the evidence supports VBAC. It's fascinating that the Rotunda has a VBAC policy and the policy itself makes VBAC more difficult to attain ie continuous monitoring, time limits, staff shortages. You're making an informed decision so just ask the Doctor you see to document it. I wish more Dads would attend antenatal appointments with Mums for these kinds of discussions.

I really have to agree with this, I had an emergency c section on my first and when I got pregnant on my second I made an informed decision not to attend the Rotunda second time round. I just felt that if I did I would not have gotten my VBAC at all. I'd have laboured though and then gotten another emergency c section.

I went to the Coombe and got my VBAC. I know they have similar policies to the Rotunda, but I never felt forced into having a VBAC, it was always my decision and even right up to my last appointment with my consultant he was making sure I still wanted to try for VBAC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

SanFran07 wrote: »

I'm glad they don't! The limited space in the waiting areas is cramped enough! :D I don't see why the dad being there has any more weight...the doctors shouldn't need the father's backing to follow the mother's wishes in relation to the birth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I'm glad they don't! The limited space in the waiting areas is cramped enough! :D I don't see why the dad being there has any more weight...the doctors shouldn't need the father's backing to follow the mother's wishes in relation to the birth.

It's not that, it's just that as a pregnant woman it can be very hard to advocate for yourself without backup, particularly if you are going against the wishes of the doctor you have chanced to meet. I am a classic 'white coat syndrome' sufferer, having my husband present in appointments always made things easier for me. It also gives the doctor confidence that you have actually done your research, discussed it with your co-parent, and as a team made an informed choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Thanks everyone for advise. We met with the midwife and doctor and my wife was in no mood for backing down! ;)

Anyway, we told them how we didn't come to the decision lightly, had done a lot of research. They did still try and convince us otherwise (and I think they are right to do so), but in the end they put it explicitly on her chart that it would be another c-section.

My wife is much more relaxed now, and can focus on the remaining few weeks of pregnancy rather than worrying about this issue. Thanks again! :D

Advertisement