Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a new tank (tropical)

Options
  • 17-07-2012 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

I was down at the local aquarium shop today with the mother, to pick out some actual neon tetras (she went down last week and thought guppies would be the same) and I noticed an odd looking creature. A butterfly fish!

So now I'm thinking of basing my new planted tank around this fella, if it would be suitable that is. I've to put my soil substrate into the tank yet, but the lad in the store suggested using an aquarium specific 'compost' which is small enough and costs €21 a pop! But I already have some Miracle Gro potting mix, which was suggested by the Wastad Method

The plan was to put the soil into the tank, buy the plants, then after the month is up (to let the system settle and to get rid of the unwanted chemicals etc) think about stocking it. But now I'm interested in the fella. He's sure to be gone when I do get around to stocking it, but I could just order it in! Does anyone have any experience with these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

Be careful what other fish you mix with him, a friend of mine had his mixed with platys, danios, tetra etc. He killed quite a few of them, and will eat anything that swims high and will fit in his mouth. They also can be quite picky with food, i've seen the same one not accept anything bar insects... maybe that was just a rogue fish though?

I do know that they need either floating plants or plants that reach the surface and keep a tight lid on the tank, they are known to jump (and can glide I think?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Discuss will live happily with Cardinals,Neons,Bristlenose Plecs and also Congo Tetras.

They wont attack any opf those fish and wont eat plants either.

Put in 4-5 Discuss for a nice grouping.

Beautifull gracefull fish indeed.

Just a thought and my 2 cents worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

I'm not sure why, but I've never thought of having Discus fish. Don't get me wrong, I could look at them all day (like many fish) but they've never appealed to me so much as to keep them. I've always preffered the 'uglier' fish, or the more unique, rarely seen kind.

I had the intention of setting up a some-what community tank, so was going to go down the line of getting the proper plants to suit.

I've been trying to find out tank, water and tank mate requiremets, but the only thing that seems to go into any detail is the wate requirements. Apart from repeatedly mentioning not to have any top dwellers, it doesnt really say what other tank mates it can have. A few, however, mention the elephant nose fish, which is a fish I've been fascinated with for years! But I'm not too sure about its requirement either. I've read that they are quite a dificult ish to look after? They're probably a nightmare to try and source from an aquarium, let alone one in connacht too!

The tank I have is a 100l tank, so I'm not sure that down the line the tank wold be large enough for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I assume you're talking about Mormyridae. I've heard that they're very hard to keep, and that aquarium ones get up to about 9", so a 100l tank would be miles too small.

That's the one! But like I said, I'll be doing a good bit of research before I do anything yet...

• Advertisement

Ok, so after a few days of reading (great books!) and tank details, Ive come up with the following, the tanks dimensions are 75cm(l) x 35cm(w) x 45cm(d) I had the list below chosen before measuring the tank, so I've already narrowed the list down. Maybe I'll have my elephant nose fish when I upgrade :(

Anabantids:
    Leopard bush fish (Ctenopoma Acutirostre) min 90cm tank Soft & Acidic

Catfish:
    True upside down catfish (Synodontis Nigriventis) min 75cm tank Soft & Acidic

Cichlids:
    Red Zebra/Esther Grants Zebra (Metriaclima/Maylandia estherae) min 45cm tank Hard & Alkaline
    "Utinta" (Cyprochromis Leptomosoma) min 120cm tank Hard & Alkaline
    Lyretail Cychlid (Neolamprologus brichardi) min 60cm tank Hard & Alkaline
    ? (Neolamprologus multifasciates) min 45cm tank Hard & Alkaline
    Kribensis/Purple Cichlid (Pelvicachromis pulcher) min 60cm tank Soft & Acidic

Killifish:
    Blue Lyretail (Fundulopanchax gardeneri) min 40cm tank ?
    Cape Lopez Lyretail (Aphyosemion australe) min 45cm tank Soft & Acidic

Misc:
    Elephantnose fish (Gnathonemus petersii) min 90cm tank Soft & Acidic
    African Butterflyfish (Pantoden bucholzi) min 75cm tank Soft & slightly Acidic

So instead of doing some half assed attempt where I have the water halfway between the two, ie neutral normal water, I'm going to go with a soft acidic community. So I've taken all the hard alkaline group out of my choices. Now when I started off, I was going to have an African community tank, but I'm not put off against the idea of having species from elsewhere. One of the fish that I noticed was the Blue/German Ram (Microgeophagus ramirezi).
    So if anyone could mention to me some more fish that have a soft/acidic water based fish that'd be helpful!

Also, could anyone help me with tank plants (I was going to go mainly on african species, but tiger lily has been the only one I've found)

Also also, I was wondering would anyone know if there is shrimps that would fit into my setup, or snails even?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I was down at the local aquarium shop today with the mother, to pick out some actual neon tetras (she went down last week and thought guppies would be the same) and I noticed an odd looking creature. A butterfly fish!

So now I'm thinking of basing my new planted tank around this fella, if it would be suitable that is. I've to put my soil substrate into the tank yet, but the lad in the store suggested using an aquarium specific 'compost' which is small enough and costs €21 a pop! But I already have some Miracle Gro potting mix, which was suggested by the Wastad Method

The plan was to put the soil into the tank, buy the plants, then after the month is up (to let the system settle and to get rid of the unwanted chemicals etc) think about stocking it. But now I'm interested in the fella. He's sure to be gone when I do get around to stocking it, but I could just order it in! Does anyone have any experience with these?

where did you get the miracle gro , I could not find it anywhere, also hows your ph doing since you flooded the soil ? any pics ???

vasch_ro wrote: »
    where did you get the miracle gro , I could not find it anywhere, also hows your ph doing since you flooded the soil ? any pics ???

I got it in Homebase, it was right inside the door! there was actually 2 of the bags mentioned on the list next to each other! No pictures as of yet, I have to empty the tank of water (no substrate added yet) as I'm not happy with where it is.

Looks something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I got it in Homebase, it was right inside the door! there was actually 2 of the bags mentioned on the list next to each other! No pictures as of yet, I have to empty the tank of water (no substrate added yet) as I'm not happy with where it is.

Looks something like this

ah I see , at least I know for future reference, ended up using Horgans top soil
    myself capped with sansibar gravel

I'm unsure what to use myself, probably go with some sand. Heard play sand is the best one to go for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

If the sand isn't too thick it's fine. Also make sure you get silica based and give it a good wash (probably wash it through 7-10 times) or the clay from it will sit in your water for days and it means cleaning your filter every day until it's gone

Could anyone suggest a uv to fit a fluval 206? I read somewhere somebody making their own, with a piece of pvc pipe closed at both ends and a uv light inside.

Could anyone suggest a uv to fit a fluval 206? I read somewhere somebody making their own, with a piece of pvc pipe closed at both ends and a uv light inside.

I just sold a complete UV sterilisation kit for 50 euro.:(

paddy147 wrote: »
    I just sold a complete UV sterilisation kit for 50 euro.:(
    Sounds like whoever bought it, got a bargain, any suggestions on where/what one to go for, not looking to get the most expensive one....

Sounds like whoever bought it, got a bargain, any suggestions on where/what one to go for, not looking to get the most expensive one....

If you go onto the Irish Fish Forum and look through the for sale section and also place a Wanted ad..then Im usre you will get 1 fairly handy.;)

This is the unit I had.A Vectron V2.

A bulb is around 30-35 euro and the bulb needs to be replaced every 12 months.

Advertisement