Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rights of Landlord

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

the_syco wrote: »
    You pay rent in advance, you get RA in arrears, so by signing the form, he'll get the rent a month late every month? Not his problem; it's yours.

That would be rent in arrears... totally different case and I can understand a LL refusing to sign up to that. What I am talking about is where there is no difference to the amount being received or when it is received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Badhb - To suggest that if you follow the letter of the law you can prevent this situation or it will definitely resolve it. After 9 pages of comments to contrary, is slightly optimistic if unrealistic.

That would be rent in arrears... totally different case and I can understand a LL refusing to sign up to that. What I am talking about is where there is no difference to the amount being received or when it is received.

The system requires the tenant to fund the deposit, and the first months rent themselves, and any shortfall if its late, and any arrears if they build up. Which is a big ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

BostonB wrote: »
    The system requires the tenant to fund the deposit, and the first months rent themselves, and any shortfall if its late, and any arrears if they build up. Which is a big ask.

Not sure I get you...

Suppose I pay my deposit and the rent every month for 2 years. Then I lose my job and come to the LL with a RA form for him to sign. He refuses to sign it and says I have to leave because I am unemployed.

Can I be evicted? Even if I the RA covers the full amount and I have the cash to cover rent until RA arrives.

Sorry I was thinking of a new tenant.

For an existing tenant yes just pay the rent on time.

Last experience I had with RA it took 5 months to come through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Badhb wrote: »

Well, I do not know what I can say to that to that other than common sense?

Engage in any area of business without knowing the relevant legislation? Good sense or not?
    Knowing exactly what are tenants and landlords obligations and rights under the legislation would be the obvious way to know how to deal with difficult tenants? No?

There are no safe guards nor guarantees sure, but someone claiming to be an 'accidental landord' garners no sympathy unless he or she complys with the legislation under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004, and any pretence of not not knowing how the law works is his or her problem.

You are saying that legislation is not sufficient, Boston B. Then do something about it.
    Following the letter of the law can easily see a landlord ruined. The law, in this case, is most certainly an ass and you sound like you've never had any experience of the system tbh. Have you ever had to use the system from either a landlord's or tenant's perspective?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

BostonB wrote: »
    Sorry I was thinking of a new tenant.

For an existing tenant yes just pay the rent on time.

Last experience I had with RA it took 5 months to come through.

It took 7 months with us, but we managed somehow. It was a cold winter and not much food to be had, but rent got paid as priority.

Advertisement