Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maps in iOS 6

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Croke Park on Google Maps App on iPhone 4:

photo1jx.png

Croke Park on IOS(6) Maps App on iPad 2:

photopy.png

There is a massive difference there. Not to mention the direction and place name mistakes. I typed in Dundrum and it was bringing me to Dundrum, Co. Tipperary without asking me to specify which one I wanted to go to.........like Google Maps would have. Very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

The new maps all look nice but as others have said there really is some serious downfalls! For instance where are place names, as in small towns and villages. Apart from the road name there is not one bit of text on my picture! OK here's a quiz - what town is in the centre? ;):D
    The winner has to post the same area from google maps!

218260.png

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

we're really not comparing like with like here.

apple maps beta (not even public yet)
    google maps (been public for 6 years (2006)).

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

The maps from Apple do look clean, sometimes a bit too clean.
    On the other hand, sometimes Googles version can be a bit too cluttered:
    Screen Shot 2012-08-24 at 10.45.08.png
    218263.png

We have a winner!!

apple maps beta

True but jeez shouldn't there be a little bit more information on that map? Surely we're going to see the GM pretty soon. Is there going to be huge differences on that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

maybe there will be, why would they need to have total detailed maps for developers.

they just need to release the bare minimum so we can integrate maps into our apps.

anyone relying on a device that has beta software on it deserves to get lost in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Google are developing their own map app for the iPad, If anything this is good news, it'll make both companies compete for the better experience and make new features for us :D

They are also doing it for Youtube

Christ brav! is that the new 20" iPad! :D;)

Simon201 wrote: »
    Christ brav! is that the new 20" iPad! :D;)

Haha no its the new Apple TV, on off button is at the side, and its a 3:2 screen with 3g and all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    Not to mention the direction and place name mistakes.

It doesn't appear as if you have the iOS6 map North Aligned, thus the direction errors when compared with the Google Map. Just tap the compass in the top right to North Align the map.

But in any case the iOS6 maps, in their present form, are almost unusable in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

It is still in Beta, so I will reserve judgement until the public release.

As already stated if you are relying on the beta version for directions it may not be the best idea!

Simon201 wrote: »
    The new maps all look nice but as others have said there really is some serious downfalls! For instance where are place names, as in small towns and villages. Apart from the road name there is not one bit of text on my picture! OK here's a quiz - what town is in the centre? ;):D
    The winner has to post the same area from google maps!

218260.png

Well since the update to Maps last week it is easier to look for towns now:
    IMG_0121.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Maynooth!

Incidentally, I put in loads of businesses on Yelp! for Maynooth (everything in Manor Mills too) but no sign of them yet.

Ha ha and look at Croker now! :D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Does anyone have a decent suggestion for an alternative to Google Maps?

I used to use it a lot to drop a pin and share the location with people. Now i cant drop a pin on Apple Maps & share with an Android user.

Any suggestions? Can't figure out how (if possible) to drop a pin on the web (mobile) version of Google Maps on iPhone.

Is there any iPhone Apps using Google maps which allow the dropping of a pin & share via SMS/MMS? Ta...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Have these maps not updated since last year? Dublin Zoo is still showing as being off Dame street! I thought they'd be pushing updates through for the worst offenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

grizzly wrote: »
    Have these maps not updated since last year? Dublin Zoo is still showing as being off Dame street! I thought they'd be pushing updates through for the worst offenders.

I would imagine updates are fed by users reporting errors. Nearly everyone I know with an iPhone uses apple maps therefore nobody is correcting the errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Do you mean they use Google maps? I've reported loads of mistakes I my neighbourhood, but it never fixed. Mostly business that have closed or are marked in the wrong area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

grizzly wrote: »
    Do you mean they use Google maps? I've reported loads of mistakes I my neighbourhood, but it never fixed. Mostly business that have closed or are marked in the wrong area.

Well in that case I am wrong. I corrected a name error on Google maps and got a reply a week later with a thank you and confirmed my correction.

Google 1 - 0 Apple

• Advertisement
Advertisement