Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Price Register

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I knocked together a page to search/filter/order the results online.
    http://yellowschedule.com/house_price_database_ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

RoadRunner wrote: »

Good effort, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Blowfish wrote: »
    Decent map, but if you zoom out, a bunch of the properties have wandered all over the world.

He did that in a matter of hours.
    It took the Property Register a couple of years to upload some csv files.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Outstanding work thanks.

• Advertisement

Zamboni wrote: »
    He did that in a matter of hours.
    It took the Property Register a couple of years to upload some csv files.

:pac:

At a guess, I would imagine that that the rest of the time was spent on boards defending their salaries ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

anybody else eating humble pie for breakfast this morning? :pac:

i'm having a extra serving, i cant believe they got it up 'on time'...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I think we were all sceptical.

But you can't help but wonder what the hell took them so long?

Like, look at what a few boardsies and people on property pin etc. have been able to do with the data in a few hours?

A few temps doing data entry could've got those spreadsheets up and running in a few weeks, there's so little detail. The website itself is basic beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Anyone know why some properties are not on the register? Apologies if this has already been asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

you legend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Minier81 wrote: »
    you legend!
    Awesome!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

davet82 wrote: »
    anybody else eating humble pie for breakfast this morning? :pac:

i'm having a extra serving, i cant believe they got it up 'on time'...

Well done to them for getting it up on time- even if it is buggy as hell.

My humble pie this morning- I'm having heart failure over what appears to be the going rate for where I am- peak boom time sale price 450k, sale 07.09.12 105k......... Thats more than a 75% fall in value- and probably back to levels last seen in the late 80s, early 90s. Its only a single sale though- so who knows. If the property tax is based on valuations resultant from this exercise- the Revenue Commissioners cannot unfairly impose penalties on people they believe to be under declaring the value of their property? Also- looks like some semis in the midlands may be worth more than some in West Dublin- so people who are presuming this is a Dublin orientated tax- could be in for a shock too..........

i wonder will any EA get some angry calls today calling them lying bastards! :D

smccarrick wrote: »
    My humble pie this morning-

bitter pill would be a better description for that scenario, although there could be alot of reasons for such a low price

Lol..... Business as usual will be turned on its head for the industry. This register will hopefully reinvent the profession. Of more interest- are sellers going to adjust their expectations- based on irrefutable facts in front of them? We may all have appalling impressions of estate agents- but particularly in the current climate- they have their work cut out for them convincing sellers that their property isn't worth anything like what most sellers seem to presume.

Well done to them for getting it up on time- even if it is buggy as hell.

My humble pie this morning- I'm having heart failure over what appears to be the going rate for where I am- peak boom time sale price 450k, sale 07.09.12 105k......... Thats more than a 75% fall in value- and probably back to levels last seen in the late 80s, early 90s. Its only a single sale though- so who knows. If the property tax is based on valuations resultant from this exercise- the Revenue Commissioners cannot unfairly impose penalties on people they believe to be under declaring the value of their property? Also- looks like some semis in the midlands may be worth more than some in West Dublin- so people who are presuming this is a Dublin orientated tax- could be in for a shock too..........

Some crazy stuff.
    An estate I've been watching with identical houses had a 46% drop since 2010 alone.

*addicted*

bitter pill would be a better description for that scenario, although there could be alot of reasons for such a low price

There certainly could be lots of reasons for such a low price. How do we determine a fair open market value though- other than at the price transactions are actually going through at. Also- when the website says it wasn't at a normal price (as it does for the vast majority of its entries)- how does it determine this- and what does it consider the normal price to be? And- how can it not be the market price- if every purchaser in the country is going to use it as a roadmap as to what the going rate is? Why pay me 150k- when you can see 2 houses down went for 105k 3 weeks ago? I know if I were a purchaser I'd consider any seller deviating by such a margin as stupid.

We have excess capacity in most of the country- both urban and rural- with some notable exceptions where very limited development occurred during the boom years- such as a lot of South Dublin (and even there we have a surplus of apartments- though not houses).

Supply and demand would normally in sn unimpeded market determine an equilibrium asking price. Its not an unimpeded market- and all the trains coming down the road indicate its certainly not bottomed out- which means- this roadmap buyers now have- is going to continue to evolve, and hopefully be used to educate buyers in a way they never have been, before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

There was a new development of just two detached houses near me that had an original price tag of 595000 which even for the time was ridiculous. I had been keeping an eye on them and they had (over a 3 1/2 to 4 year period) dropped to 380 or there abouts when the two of them sold quickly. They were bought a day apart for 229000 and 229500. Id have probably paid 250000. I dont understand why have an asking price thats so off putting.
    As far as I know they were never in NAMA (not listed on its site anyhow) though the developer had gone bust some time ago. I can only presume they were bought by the same person, it all seems a little fishy.

My humble pie this morning- I'm having heart failure over what appears to be the going rate for where I am- peak boom time sale price 450k, sale 07.09.12 105k......... Thats more than a 75% fall in value- and probably back to levels last seen in the late 80s, early 90s.
    It's similarish around where I am. Asking prices during the boom were 500-550k. Actual sale prices are in the 160-180k mark now, down from 280-300k at the start of 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Will the launch of this site and the visability we all have of prices now have any effect on house prices either up or down?

• Advertisement

murphym7 wrote: »
    Will the launch of this site and the visability we all have of prices now have any effect on house prices either up or down?
    I'm not sure if you'd attribute it solely to this register, but I'd be pretty surprised if the combination of it, the budget and the property tax don't cause a larger than usual fall over the next quarter.

I'm not sure if you'd attribute it solely to this register, but I'd be pretty surprised if the combination of it, the budget and the property tax don't cause a larger than usual fall over the next quarter.

There will still be FTBers rushing for MIR in Q4.
    I'd imagine a substantial drop in price and transactions in Q1 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

quad_red wrote: »
    I think we were all sceptical.

But you can't help but wonder what the hell took them so long?

Like, look at what a few boardsies and people on property pin etc. have been able to do with the data in a few hours?

A few temps doing data entry could've got those spreadsheets up and running in a few weeks, there's so little detail. The website itself is basic beyond belief.

You are looking at the technical aspects of the project only. yeah a few boardsies did x,y and z with data that they could freely access.

Did they have to deal with the legal and political process that delays these types of projects? of course not.

The appropriate Bill had to go through the Oireachtas and get passed into legislation etc... Data Protection Considerations had to be taken into account and dealt with in terms of the legal environment etc.. etc.. etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flintash

I was told by my bank manager - make a purchase fast or loose MIR, cause if you want to avail it, Money needs to be paid before 1st Jan. Somebody please explain how long it takes in real life from Offer Accepted to Funds transfer. I dont think it is a week or two business. So... train is leaving already ...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,205 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Been listening to one this morning... one of the girls in the office had an offer on somewhere that was higher than the eventual selling price. EA had been lying to her about other offers to try and get her to increase her offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭mactheknife19

flintash wrote: »
    I was told by my bank manager - make a purchase fast or loose MIR, cause if you want to avail it, Money needs to be paid before 1st Jan. Somebody please explain how long it takes in real life from Offer Accepted to Funds transfer. I dont think it is a week or two business. So... train is leaving already ...

How long is a piece of string!!!.....many variables both inside and outside of the control of the bank. Keep in mind its not just the day you sign the contract and draw down the mortgage. The MIR is applied against your first repayment on your mortgage. Often your first DD payment is 1 month after the drawdown, so be aware that you could drawdown mid Dec and your first DD is not until Jan......and you miss out in MIR. If this looks like its happening to you you can go into you bank and make a physical payment direct onto the mortage. Even just €1 so it show that the mortgage started in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

It's similarish around where I am. Asking prices during the boom were 500-550k. Actual sale prices are in the 160-180k mark now, down from 280-300k at the start of 2010.
    I think I win: 380K boom price down to 70K this year (although I'm guessing these MUST be one bed & not 2 bed).

To be honest, at 70K I'm very tempted to buy another... never learn :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tim9002

I would agree with that and the irony of it is that many people will save more by waiting than by jumping in now just to avail of mortgage interest relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tomflynn

flintash wrote: »

We paid refundable booking deposit to Estate Agent (i.e. sale agreed) on last week of Oct 2011, all through legally and drawn down by end of 1st week Dec 2011. We had mortgage approval already, even then the bank raised deposit required from 8% to 10% at the very-very last minute.

We were under the belief, from budget 2011, that the MIR would be abolished end of 2011 (last Dec) and were pushing hard to have everything completed by end Dec. However Noonan's Budget 2012 postponed the abolition of MIR for another year.

If you intend to purchase and have your eye on a house, you now know the ballpark of actual sale prices in the viscinity,......I would say that it is nice to get that 'free money' back every month.

However, there is no point in rushing a decision and buying just get the relief and hating your new home.

ps we are delighted with our decision and, having seen the prices on the property price register, the price we paid!

• Advertisement

One aspect I wonder about the register which doesn't seem to have been looked at is that this has the potential to affect existing performing mortgages. For some people this will bring home just how crazily high the mortgage they took out actually is, thus increasing the temptation to just stop paying.

Advertisement