Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To rent or not to rent..

• 17-07-2012 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Im coming to the conclusion that the smartest thing to do is just to keep renting rather than buying my own property.Ive no real interest in owning one or buying or the hassle and rigmarole that goes with it. I like to just be able to up and move with a drop of a hat(or a month's notice). We are a nation that places high value on owning their own property and i just fear down the line I will have difficulties in getting a partner to settle down with if I only want to rent. So there is pressure in that regard. This ''John and Mary down the road are only renting'' mentality. Do you think it's a big deal? Countries in Europe such a holland and Germany people mainly rent because they have enough common sense to see that life is too short to get yourself in over your head in debt that you may never be able to pay back. That is all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

<savageeyesketch>"House do you do, how many houses do you have?"</savageeyesketch>

WumBuster wrote: »
    Im coming to the conclusion that the smartest thing to do is just to keep renting
    That is all.

that's good to know OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Rent if thats what you want, I couldnt imagine tying myself to a life of debt at this point, too much uncertainty, might want to up sticks and leave in a few months so I'd rather have no ties. I'm glad I never took the "sure rent is dead money like!" advice of people during the boom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Subscribes to blog ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

*Begin 1950's ad voice*

Are you sick of landlords telling you what to do?
    Are you tired of bill after bill coming through the letterbox?
    Are you just sick and tired of renting altogether?

YES?

Well then SQUATTING is for you!

All the comfort of a rented house but without all the comforts of a rented house. Forget the hassle of bills for electricity and heating, in fact forget electricity and heating altogether!

Squatting! It's like renting, only better*!

*definition of 'better' may vary. Terms and conditions don't apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

i dont ever see myself buying. renting seems so much smarter. If something ever happens to the house then. Gets flooded to goes up in flames or whatever you can just move out the next day and be no worse off (a few houses in my area have been flooded recently)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭curehead

obvioulsly there is no right or wrong do what you feel is the best for
    you and down worry about what neighbours think.
    Too many sheep in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

If you want a serious discussion you should have this moved to the accommodation & property section...

I don't know what our obsession is with owning our homes. I own mine too BTW.

I think one of the attractions for me is that you can do what you want - with regards to decoration, extension, landscaping etc. without having to seek permission. It just feels more like home. Renting feels more like the place is only temporary, and (for me) that prevents you from being 100% settled and 100% comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The only thing against renting is you pay it for the whole of your life. If you buy a house you should have it paid off before you retire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

recyclebin wrote: »
    The only thing against renting is you pay it for the whole of your life. If you buy a house you should have it paid off before you retire.

so you can sell it to live in an old folks home that everyone that was renting will get for free :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The most annoying thing about renting is that with break clauses you can be asked to move at short enough notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Go camping for the rest of your life and you wont have to do either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

davet82 wrote: »
    so you can sell it to live in an old folks home that everyone that was renting will get for free :rolleyes:

Are old folks homes free?? The one Minister Reilly owns charges over €800 a week.

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Go camping for the rest of your life and you wont have to do either.

become a traveller is the way to go imo :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

You could become a priest. Then you get a free gaff.

I'd hate the thought of renting long term myself, as soon as I can get a job back around home (Galway) I fully intend to buy.

Renting just isn't the same as owning your own place and I'd much rather be paying off a mortguage and working towards owning a house/appartment outright than throwing it away in rent.

Building my own house also appeals to me and fortunately this is an option for me as I would have a site at home if I wanted to build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

further to my original op, I think its best to rent everything in life whether it be apartments, movies or women. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

WumBuster wrote: »
    further to my original op, I think its best to rent everything in life whether it be apartments, movies or women. :P

Renting movies is so 90s, ya know anywhere I can download a woman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Renting movies is so 90s, ya know anywhere I can download a woman?

Try here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Different strokes for different folks. A mortgage in some cases is now cheaper depending on your situation i.e. if you're part of a couple renting a property together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

different reports say the house market may fall 20% more, depending on location and type.

so if you buy now you might still end up with negative equity. If you like your house and intend to live there for some time, that may not be a dealbreaker.depends on if your in it for the long haul. if so, buying now might not be a bad time. Buyers are getting better value now than they have for years. Sellers expectations are more realistic too.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Try here

I'll have to pass, there's enough stains on my screen as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Renting in Ireland is bollix. And most of the time you only get manky furniture and beds that other people have slept on, which is kinda creepy (though I suppose a hotel's no different...).

I'm getting my own gaff next week, renting it, it comes with no kitchen, lights, furniture anything. Just a bathroom and four walls. Can't wait to get do it up and get in my own stuff (building a kitchen's going to be hell though...). I might even paint something ridiculous on the walls because I CAN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭dannyc31

imo it makes no sense to buy ever if you're a single girl or guy and in fact the savings for renting can be extended if you're willing to share with others. lets sat a 3 bedroom house share with 3 large double rooms. each paying €400 per room. you have all the worry of a mortgage taking away, all the bills are split 3 ways, you wont suffer from loneliness if you move some nice people that you get on with in, you request your landlord to maintain the household which he is required to do by law. you have the flexability to choose the geographic area you wish to live i.e. you could locate close to your job. you are not tied down to that geographic area if you're working situation changes and best and most important of all you have a proper some of money left over at the end of the month as disposable income and not the €100 which 1.8m workers seem to have and i'm guessing this is mainly due to their inflated mortgages.

its basic logic as far as i can see, a no brainer.

now getting married and having children is a different story ;)

recyclebin wrote: »

That's how I feel about it too. My mortgage will be paid by the time I'm 50 so if I have 25 years left in me at that stage, I won't have to concern myself with paying rent/mortgage.

dannyc31 wrote: »
    imo it makes no sense to buy ever if you're a single girl or guy and in fact the savings for renting can be extended if you're willing to share with others. lets sat a 3 bedroom house share with 3 large double rooms. each paying €400 per room. you have all the worry of a mortgage taking away, all the bills are split 3 ways, you wont suffer from loneliness if you move some nice people that you get on with in, you request your landlord to maintain the household which he is required to do by law. you have the flexability to choose the geographic area you wish to live i.e. you could locate close to your job. you are not tied down to that geographic area if you're working situation changes and best and most important of all you have a proper some of money left over at the end of the month as disposable income and not the €100 which 1.8m workers seem to have and i'm guessing this is mainly due to their inflated mortgages.

its basic logic as far as i can see, a no brainer.

now getting married and having children is a different story ;)

That all good and well if you want to share, I'm sharing with 3 other people and its grand but recently I feel like having my own space (without going to my room) and would much rather have my own place or at the very most live with one other person at most, my own place would be preferable though.

Looking at the rent for 1 and 2 bed apartments for instance you would have a mortgage for less and you always have the option of renting out the room if you get a two bed.

I would love my own place while I'm quite young and single.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

They're obsessed with it in Ireland yes, but here in the UK too, not to the same extent though.
    That's how I feel about it too. My mortgage will be paid by the time I'm 50 so if I have 25 years left in me at that stage, I won't have to concern myself with paying rent/mortgage.

I'm 31 but I never think about what I'll be doing when I'm 50! God knows where I'll be or what situation I'll be in. Are you married or do you have kids? Is it not a massive commitment to be attached to a mortgage at a young age? What if you wanted to move abroad or met the man of your dreams who was Australian and wanted you to go there with him?

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    met the man of your dreams who was Australian and wanted you to go there with him?

Get pregnant and trap him... sorted :cool:

• Advertisement

Is it not a massive commitment to be attached to a mortgage at a young age? What if you wanted to move abroad or met the man of your dreams who was Australian and wanted you to go there with him?

I don't really feel like it is a massive committment tbh, I bought my first house when I was 20. I mean, I would have to pay for somewhere to live wouldn't I? As it happens, I rent my property out, and I rent a different property, so if I decided to up sticks and leave, I would just keep renting out my own property and it would pay for itself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I don't really feel like it is a massive committment tbh, I bought my first house when I was 20. I mean, I would have to pay for somewhere to live wouldn't I? As it happens, I rent my property out, and I rent a different property, so if I decided to up sticks and leave, I would just keep renting out my own property and it would pay for itself.

I didn't even know what a mortgage was when I was 20!

I didn't even know what a mortgage was when I was 20!

I moved out of home at 17, I rented for the first few years, two different properties and buying a house just made sense to me. And I'm a real "live for today, you could be dead tomorrow" type person, but it's one of those things that I never put an awful lot of thought into, I just knew I would buy and not rent forever. I just don't like the idea of paying someone else's mortgage when I can pay for my own :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I don't imagine I'll be in Ireland in 10 years time. Maybe not 5. Anyone that can choose to settle for a lifetime in the one place and put themselves under such a financial burden is very different to myself. That's excepting having a wife and kids, I suppose. Not things I plan on any time soon either.

The future is an uncertain thing. I'm not going to make the only certain thing about it a massive debt that needs paying off. Total madness.

There is a huge obsession with property here. It's very sickening. In the country side it's appalling. Everyone has to build a new 2 story 50 feet down the road from their parents house. That's as far as they're ever going to live away from home. The parents would nearly hear them having a roll about in bed from across a field.
    Near me there are 4 siblings all of which built a house right beside the other and just down from their parents in the middle of nowhere.
    It's not that there is something wrong with building your own home, it's that there is seen to be something wrong with you if you don't...
    Am I ranting? The place is so parochial sometimes it really brings me down.

Sickening? That people want to live life whatever way they see fit? Okay...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

krudler wrote: »
    Rent if thats what you want, I couldnt imagine tying myself to a life of debt at this point, too much uncertainty, might want to up sticks and leave in a few months so I'd rather have no ties. I'm glad I never took the "sure rent is dead money like!" advice of people during the boom.

Me neither but I did recently buy a lovely house for a very nice price. Baboom.

• Advertisement

Shryke wrote: »
    I don't imagine I'll be in Ireland in 10 years time. Maybe not 5. Anyone that can choose to settle for a lifetime in the one place and put themselves under such a financial burden is very different to myself. That's excepting having a wife and kids, I suppose. Not things I plan on any time soon either.

The future is an uncertain thing. I'm not going to make the only certain thing about it a massive debt that needs paying off. Total madness.

There is a huge obsession with property here. It's very sickening. In the country side it's appalling. Everyone has to build a new 2 story 50 feet down the road from their parents house. That's as far as they're ever going to live away from home. The parents would nearly hear them having a roll about in bed from across a field.
    Near me there are 4 siblings all of which built a house right beside the other and just down from their parents in the middle of nowhere.
    It's not that there is something wrong with building your own home, it's that there is seen to be something wrong with you if you don't...
    Am I ranting? The place is so parochial sometimes it really brings me down.

Personally the only place I want to settle is back home. I especially have no interest in moving abroad and even living elsewhere in Ireland would not be the same as back in Galway.

I also would seriously consider building a house on our land at some point next door to my home house, so we are certainly at different ends of the spectrum :)

In an ideal world I'd buy an appartment in Galway city live there for a while and then build a house myself (and keep the apartment too and rent out or whatever). Finances would of course play a major role in that. I need to finish what I'm doing and get a job back there before I can do anything though :pac:

EDIT: I should say I lived in London for a year and while it was nice It really wasn't for me and I was really glad to move back so when I say I wouldn't like to move abroad I actually know I wouldn't like it rather than just thinking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

I just don't like the idea of paying someone else's mortgage when I can pay for my own :)

Anyone who's playing the "Property Discussion Drinking Game"; drink a shot now!

Kurz wrote: »

I was hammered after "dead money".

Diapason wrote: »
    Sickening? That people want to live life whatever way they see fit? Okay...

NO.
    There is a huge obsession with property here. It's very sickening..

That's what I said was sickening. The obsession with property. Good man there.

So, *you* think people shouldn't be obsessed with property, and ergo you find it sickening? Fine, you're not obsessed with property, but what odds if other people are?

I personally don't get the obsession some people seem to have about other people's obsession with property, but hey, live and let live. You want to rent, more power to your elbow.

• Advertisement

So, *you* think people shouldn't be obsessed with property, and ergo you find it sickening? Fine, you're not obsessed with property, but what odds if other people are?

I personally don't get the obsession some people seem to have about other people's obsession with property, but hey, live and let live. You want to rent, more power to your elbow.

Troll.

Troll.

No.

Most people I know who buy/build houses do it because they need somewhere to live, they'd like to live somewhere comfortable and convenient for them, and if starting a family or whatever, they'd like the security of not having to deal with a landlord's whims. That's about the sum total of the "obsession" that I see.

Just parroting back the pub-talk mantra that "Irish people are obsessed with property" doesn't make it so.

Kurz wrote: »

I don't really know what that means tbh :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Probably best to start drinking anyway, just to be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

its one of the pro-buying phrases, rent is dead money, why pay someone elses mortgage, etc, etc. you could make a drinking game of any thread in AH these days :pac:

I prob will buy a house at some point but I'm in that "need to sort life out" phase and that doesn't involve settling down any time soon. want to have lived in at least one other country at some point.

krudler wrote: »
    its one of the pro-buying phrases, rent is dead money, why pay someone elses mortgage, etc, etc. you could make a drinking game of any thread in AH these days :pac:

Oh right. So he was taking the piss out of me. Fair enough :)
    I tend not to get involved in the renting debate so I don't know the rules of the drinking game, but I'm sure said game could be played on either side of the argument!

Troll.

No.

Most people I know who buy/build houses do it because they need somewhere to live, they'd like to live somewhere comfortable and convenient for them, and if starting a family or whatever, they'd like the security of not having to deal with a landlord's whims. That's about the sum total of the "obsession" that I see.

Just parroting back the pub-talk mantra that "Irish people are obsessed with property" doesn't make it so.

I speak from my own experience with people, I'll let you be the expert on pub talk. You're dreaming if you think Irish people aren't obsessed with property. That's about the last thing I would expect anyone to deny, even on here.

I don't know where I'll be in 5 years' time, nevermind any longer. I don't think I'll stay in ireland forever, I would like to live somewhere else. Forever? Don't know about that either. Renting is the only thing that makes sense for me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

well whatever you do dont go out and panic buy thats what got us into the last mess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Don't ask "Is it a good idea to buy a house?".

Go and look at houses for sale and ask "Is it a good idea for ME to buy THIS house right NOW?"

• Advertisement
Advertisement