Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

private insurance 457 visa

Options
  • 17-07-2012 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have to get private insurance for my 457 visa, was wondering if anybody had any advice on this or good links for this, I've never been sick a day in my life so hoping not to spend to much.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

If you're an Irish passport holder you don't need to get private health insurance for the 457. You are covered by the reciprocal healthcare agreement between Ireland and Australia. Do a search here, and there's plenty more info on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 evilhomer1

Hi does the reciprocal deal not just cover you while you are on the WHV? On this topic, the medicare levy exemption, can you only claim this exemption if you have private health insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

You don't need health insurance for a 457 visa (if you are Irish) as the reciprocal agreement covers you.

Is a good idea to get health insurance anyway if you are planning to stay for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 evilhomer1

Hi Feelgood so we can still claim the exemption from the medicare levy if on a 457 and no private health insurnace? I have applied for the certificate for exemption, I have been paying the levy for two years, do you claim it back with your tax return?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

evilhomer1 wrote: »
    Hi Feelgood so we can still claim the exemption from the medicare levy if on a 457 and no private health insurnace? I have applied for the certificate for exemption, I have been paying the levy for two years, do you claim it back with your tax return?

Yes you can still claim back the medicare levy with no private health insurance.
    Private health insurance is not a requirement for anything, but its definitely worthwhile having it.

Yes the medicare levy is claimed back when you submit your tax return.

• Advertisement
Advertisement