Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vacuum Cleaner Brush not covered by Warranty

Options
  • 17-07-2012 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Wonder can anyone advise. I bought a Miele vacuum about a year ago. One of the brushes (worth around 60 euro alone) broke after a couple of months. I did not get around to bringing it back (due to transport difficulties) until la month ago, but thought I was still ok within the year. Now Miele have told the shop that only the motor is covered by their super duper 2 year warranty. I was aware of that but still thought any electrical goods (especially particularly expensive ones lol) should be covered for a year. The shop stated that the Miele rep "may give you a spare one as a gesture of goodwill"! but that was 3 weeks ago and it's not forthcoming. When I ring the shop they keep trying to pawn me off onto Miele but I think my contract is with the shop and they should sort it. I saved to buy the best vacuum as I was sick of cheap crap and thought this would last decades lol. Where do I stand?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Warranties for the purposes of this forum mean nothing. There are other arguments but they don't really get discussed without someone putting their fingers in their ears and going nah nah nah nah SOGASOS Act... any way that out of the way...

It should last a reasonable amount of time. How long a €60 brush should last is rather subjective, and you have an obligation to act promptly, which you have not. That said it should really matter because if its under a year thats still not a reasonable amount of time - unless you are using it for something odd.

If you take it to the Small Claims Court the likelihood is they won't defend it - they may cave as soon as they get the summons but its going to cost you €25.

I'd write a formal letter explaining that if its not resolved by a replacement within 14 days you'll have the matter adjudicated by the small claims court as you believe the matter is in violation of your consumer rights. You need to be dealing with whomever you purchased it from and not the manufacturer directly.

Ref dealing with the manufacturer: it is worth contacting them directly and explaining the situation. They may help you which is cheaper. They have very little obligation to do this however so don't push it with them as you rightly say its the shop you should be pursuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 seaniemammy

Thank you for your help. I will write that letter

Advertisement