Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in D15

Options
  • 17-07-2012 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hey,I'm starting in ITB in september and moving up from the sticks. Just wondering if any of you guys could help me as I haven't a bulls notion about the area or it's surrounds. I'm hoping to rent a room but preferably not with other students as I'd be of the more mature variety and I'm not able for the late nights and early starts anymore.I have a car but would prefer to find a place within reasonable cycling distance to ITB, and close enough to public transport into town. I can probably only afford in and around €300 per month too. A friend mentioned tyrrelstown might be a good spot but as I say I really don't have a clue, any advice you guys can offer me would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Badgingarra

Thanks January, Thats a good start. Will check those out.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 35 scholesy

Hi,

Hartstown/Huntstown is not a bad area either.You're about 10-15 minutes cycle up to the Blanch IT. The Blanchardstown shopping centre is within walking distance and a bus goes up to the college from there i think.Im not sure about the rents etc. i wouldnt be over familiar with rent prices these days..Mortgage prices dont go down though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Waterville if you're looking for a good location near ITB. It's quiet, close to bus routes and rent isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

Definitely Tyrrelstown or even Hollystown (seeing as you are driving).
    Waterville is a good location but to get to the college you have to go through Corduff which is a really rough area (in my opinion), whereas to get there from Tyrrelstown you are just going down a main road beside the Corporate business park - nice and quiet. Hartstown is a good suggestion too - a little further away than Tyrrelstown I think though.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info guys. I've it narrowed down to 2 or 3 options now. Hoping to get up to Dublin this weekend for viewings.
    Just a question for the locals of Tyrrelstown.. I'm told there is nothing in the area and that it's a bit isolated, any truth to that? obviously being from the country side I don't mind but if I'm paying full wack rent I'd prefer to have shops and bars etc.. within reasonable walking distance?
    And Ongar, how far from ITB is it roughly?
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

https://maps.google.com/ is your friend.
    From Ongar village to ITB is 6Km over an hours walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Thanks for the info guys. I've it narrowed down to 2 or 3 options now. Hoping to get up to Dublin this weekend for viewings.
    Just a question for the locals of Tyrrelstown.. I'm told there is nothing in the area and that it's a bit isolated, any truth to that? obviously being from the country side I don't mind but if I'm paying full wack rent I'd prefer to have shops and bars etc.. within reasonable walking distance?
    And Ongar, how far from ITB is it roughly?
    Thanks again.

In Tyrrelstown off the top of my head you have a pharmacy, a beauty salon, a hair dressers, a barbers, 2 medical centres, an auctioneers, a pet store, a bookies, a eastern European type grocery store, a pub, a chipper, a pizza takeaway place, a Chinese takeaway and restaurant, an Indian restaurant, a Permanent TSB, an off license, a Superquinn, a Lidl, a new decent community centre, a gym place that does circuits/spinning etc and a few schools. Bus wise it's served by Dublin Bus to the city centre and one to Blanchardstown Centre and I think it's urBus via Castleknock and Swords via the airport.

I think that's everything ! Ongar is a fair bit further than Tyrrelstown to the college, particularly if you don't have a car and I think the nearest point a bus will leave you to is Blanchardstown centre.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    In Tyrrelstown off the top of my head you have a pharmacy, a beauty salon, a hair dressers, a barbers, 2 medical centres, an auctioneers, a pet store, a bookies, a eastern European type grocery store, a pub, a chipper, a pizza takeaway place, a Chinese takeaway and restaurant, an Indian restaurant, a Permanent TSB, an off license, a Superquinn, a Lidl, a new decent community centre, a gym place that does circuits/spinning etc and a few schools. Bus wise it's served by Dublin Bus to the city centre and one to Blanchardstown Centre and I think it's urBus via Castleknock and Swords via the airport.

I think that's everything ! Ongar is a fair bit further than Tyrrelstown to the college, particularly if you don't have a car and I think the nearest point a bus will leave you to is Blanchardstown centre.

and there's the clincher.
    Sharrow wrote: »
    https://maps.google.com/ is your friend.
    From Ongar village to ITB is 6Km over an hours walk.

Thank you both for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Well make your own mind up ! Take a look at a few places there, the area is almost spilt in two as it was built by separate developers so some can be quieter than others, i.e. some roads could have more renters than owners which can make a difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement