Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how muc access to internet does a person need?

• 17-07-2012 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

just got a nice little email from upc saying they are putting up my monthly subscription for tv and 25mb broadband from 47 to 52 per month

i dont have the internet on my phone as i have never needed to access email etc on the go but im starting to wonder if i should go that route now, seen as i would save a lot of money and tv doesnt seem worth paying for these days

my question is this...

if i get rid of broadband access from home does this limit how i can use the internet significantly? for example i use ebay/adverts a lot (selling so uploading pics etc) download movies and albums from itunes etc
    can i tether from my phone to do these things? if so cn it be done on 1gb of data a month?

id be interested to hear how people access the net and how many devices they have/pay for with internet connection, how it works for them etc

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

You wouldn't be able to download movies from iTunes if your cap was 1GB/month. Movies from iTunes are all generally over 1GB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

You wouldn't be able to download movies from iTunes if your cap was 1GB/month. Movies from iTunes are all generally over 1GB.

thanks i didnt know that...upc couldnt tell me what my usage is and i have no idea so that helps..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

1GB is absolutly nothing. If you were to stream any sort of video that amount of data would be gone in a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

You could do it alrite and tether but it will be unreliable and crappy in comparison and have very harsh limitations and you'd probably jsut end up getting frustrated with it!

If you can get UPC avail of it... maybe a different package or something!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

If you use the internet for anything other than light browsing tethering isn't really an option.

If u drop the TV, you could get 25mb broadband & phone for €42. Which is kinda steep for an entry price point, but since UPC have no real competition they can charge what they like.

Tbh your best bet is to threaten to cancel & see if they'll offer you a reduced subscription price.

• Advertisement

thanks for the replies

i dont have a home phone so at the moment i pay 47 for tv and broadband and around 25 to meteor for phone (all per month)

im just starting to find it difficult to fork out for these as i live alone and well you know yourselves with the recession, price of petrol etc

if i could get internet and tethering allowed plus calls texts etc for €25 a month and just dump tv as its crap id be saving (with the increase) €52 each month which would go along way

im starting to think i might just dump the upc subscription and go with 3 network for now and if i get withdrawel symptoms grab a dongle for the netbook

i have been on broadband for 3 years now though...last time i had a meteor dongle i nearly lost the plot with constant problems how do people find it now

btw if i cancel tv only with upc they hike up broadband by €7.79 as a 'standalone charge' so it would be €34 a month for 25 mb broadband...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

There's often posts about people threatening to leave or change the package and they make some sort of deal over the phone but never done it myself

As for dongles if it was bad and annoying back then it's probably going to be the same or worse since every man and his dog has their phone connected to the 3g network constantly now

as a person who can't get fixed broadband and tried every single mobile "broadband" service i'd try sticking with upc!

There's also some mobile routers that aren't too bad if u get decent signal or reception but still won't be anything near as good as proper broadband

the rep i spoke to eluded to the possibility of me getting a deal if i decided to leave but part of the problem is that i dont think tv is worth €27 a month these days...there jsut seems to be a constant looping of programmes and most of the ones i watch i can get online anyway

the possibility of getting phone calls, texts and unlimited internet for €25 a month has me wondering why im bothering with upc at all, my only fear is that getting rid of digital tv and broadband in one foul swoop might be a shock to the system...especially in times where bubblegum for the brain is needed
    (although the thoughts of cutting back on time spent on the internet is very appealing)

does anyone here access the internet only on via phone? is it only a gimmik for watching youtube vids on busses etc? ive never tried it so i have no idea...

just spoke to upc rep who offered me broadband and tv for 35 a month to stay with them

i dont know whether to be happy with the offer or pissed offf that i could have been paying €52 a month had i not been on the ball!

internet on my phone is working out well so far so might just drop the broadband anyway

Advertisement