Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Castleconnell

• 17-07-2012 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Can anybody recommend a broadband provider in Castleconnell? I'm renting a house near to the Castleoaks hotel and don't really want to get a phone line in as I don't need a landline. Anybody getting Digiweb Metro out there? From speaking with the customer care they seem to be saying its not available but their website says different! Munster Broadband have been mentioned to me by the landlord also if anybody has experience with them. Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭djdunny

OP from experience O2 mobile broadband seems to work best in Castleconnell. although there may be one or two black spots out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

OP what will you be using the connection for? If it's just basic internet access/email/facebook etc. then the O2 mobile BB should do fine - make sure to trial it for a few days, and return it if you notice issues.
    Most mobile BB providers allow a trial period, usually 7 days.

If you'll be using it for more than just basic access, like online gaming, skype calls, downloading etc. then Mobile BB isn't for you. It really would be best to get a landline in, and get DSL broadband. The maximum broadband speed you can get is dependant on the distance you are from your local telephone exchange. If you're going for this, definitely check with neighbours to see an approx speed they're recieiving, this will give you an approximation on what to expect.... this is critical, because after you order a landline and an order for broadband is placed.... you're stuck in a contract if the broadband sucks.

Best alternative to landline/DSL broadband is Fixed Wireless (i.e. Munster Broadband). They generally provide a survey for free to see if they can supply broadband at your premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

Thanks for the replies. I will be working from home and would also intend to stream/download content so I'll be steering clear of mobile broadband. Munster broadband have said they can do a survey to confirm a signal so hopefully that will work.

Just wanted to give an update here. Got Munster Broadband installed last week and so far so good. I have been very impressed with the service they did the installation on the same day I called to order plus when the modem thing they supplied stopped working they had a new one installed within a few hours. The service is 3Mb down & 1Mb up (which is a bit of a step down from the 25Mb UPC service I had in Galway!) and I have been getting these speeds consistently so far. All in all I am very happy with the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

macgabhs wrote: »
    Just wanted to give an update here. Got Munster Broadband installed last week and so far so good. I have been very impressed with the service they did the installation on the same day I called to order plus when the modem thing they supplied stopped working they had a new one installed within a few hours. The service is 3Mb down & 1Mb up (which is a bit of a step down from the 25Mb UPC service I had in Galway!) and I have been getting these speeds consistently so far. All in all I am very happy with the service.

Hi macgabhs
    Just wondering how you are getting on with Munster Broadband now? Will probably be moving to Castleconnell in the next few weeks (hopefully) and a bit worried about the state of broadband out there. Will need it for working from home (the odd time), light downloading, streaming and a bit of gaming (not too much). Any recommendations? Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

Mr. TTime wrote: »
    Hi macgabhs
    Just wondering how you are getting on with Munster Broadband now? Will probably be moving to Castleconnell in the next few weeks (hopefully) and a bit worried about the state of broadband out there. Will need it for working from home (the odd time), light downloading, streaming and a bit of gaming (not too much). Any recommendations? Thanks in advance

Hi Mr. TTime I am reasonably happy with the service but then I had pretty low expectations given some bad experience with wireless broadband type systems in the past. I worked from home a lot with it and had no problems logging into my work desktop using Teamviewer or syncing files using Dropbox. Speeds during the day are generally 1.5 to 2.5Mb (which given the max speed of 3Mb is not too bad) but it can slow right down at peak times. If I have to download a large file I tend to schedule it to happen overnight. I would not recommend the service for streaming though I have not been able to get anything like a usable service from Netflix, Sky Go or Apple TV. I can't comment on gaming as I don't do any online gaming. If you can get a phone line and a decent eircom connection thats probably the way to go but if like me thats not an option then Munster Broadband or O2/Vodafone/Meteor 3G are the only other options as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm with Sky in Castleconnell and I'm getting very good speeds (compared to what I was getting with Vodafone). Downloads at about 745kbps.

I did get a text from Vodafone to say that fibre is now available in my area, but I'm tied to Sky for another 7 months so didn't investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

macgabhs wrote: »
    Hi Mr. TTime I am reasonably happy with the service but then I had pretty low expectations given some bad experience with wireless broadband type systems in the past. I worked from home a lot with it and had no problems logging into my work desktop using Teamviewer or syncing files using Dropbox. Speeds during the day are generally 1.5 to 2.5Mb (which given the max speed of 3Mb is not too bad) but it can slow right down at peak times. If I have to download a large file I tend to schedule it to happen overnight. I would not recommend the service for streaming though I have not been able to get anything like a usable service from Netflix, Sky Go or Apple TV. I can't comment on gaming as I don't do any online gaming. If you can get a phone line and a decent eircom connection thats probably the way to go but if like me thats not an option then Munster Broadband or O2/Vodafone/Meteor 3G are the only other options as far as I know.

Hmm am looking to get away from main stream tv and have been using Netflix and other things recently for my entertainment viewing. Thanks for the update though. I will have to wait and see when I move to the house and check what options are available to me then.

Advertisement