Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City Boundary?!

• 17-07-2012 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, iv been hearing a lot about this amalgamation of both councils, has this happened yet? or when is it to be taken affect from?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

dave 27 wrote: »
    Hi guys, iv been hearing a lot about this amalgamation of both councils, has this happened yet? or when is it to be taken affect from?

It's happening in 2014. The new authority will have jurisdiction of what is currently Limerick City and County Limerick. The new authority will have an distinct urban area and a distinct rural area. The boundary between the urban and rural areas has not been fixed yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It doesn't affect the boundary. Administratively it will begin this year with elections in June 2014, when it will be complete is anybody's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

so in terms of the census Limerick will be seen as a city of a truer population of 100,000+ overtaking Galway on a technicality..would this mean more ida jobs and funding as we would be seen as a city of more economic importance?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MrLaurel

dave 27 wrote: »
    so in terms of the census Limerick will be seen as a city of a truer population of 100,000+ overtaking Galway on a technicality..would this mean more ida jobs and funding as we would be seen as a city of more economic importance?

Not true. Galway overtook Limerick as the "third city" on a technicality. Limerick is now poised to reclaim it's rightful place as the third city as a matter of fact. There should still be a city/county divide just for indicating that a person has entered Limerick City (not for administrative reasons) and the City charter of 800 years should be preserved at all costs.

ninty9er wrote: »
    It doesn't affect the boundary.

That's not true. A boundary extension is implicit in the change.
    ninty9er wrote: »
    Administratively it will begin this year with elections in June 2014, when it will be complete is anybody's guess.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I suspect you just made it up. The amalgamation will be complete in 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

MrLaurel wrote: »
    Not true. Galway overtook Limerick as the "third city" on a technicality. Limerick is now poised to reclaim it's rightful place as the third city as a matter of fact. There should still be a city/county divide just for indicating that a person has entered Limerick City (not for administrative reasons) and the City charter of 800 years should be preserved at all costs.

Yeah when the urban areas are included, Limerick has a population that beats Galway (city and urban) by about 14,000.

But what is interesting is based on birth and death rates for the past 40 years, Galway's population is actually growing at a far higher rate than that of Limerick and Galway city is on course to have a city population of 100,000 to 105,000 by 2020.

Limerick (city and urban) is on course, barring a massive upswing in numbers, to be slightly under 100,000 by 2020 as most of the growth in county Limerick over the last few census results has been outside of the urban band.

Galway on the other hand has been getting strong growth in it's city, urban, and county area populations.

The message to Limerick folk is a very clear one. Start making babies, your city needs you to do your duty. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Kess73 wrote: »
    Yeah when the urban areas are included, Limerick has a population that beats Galway (city and urban) by about 14,000.

But what is interesting is based on birth and death rates for the past 40 years, Galway's population is actually growing at a far higher rate than that of Limerick and Galway city is on course to have a city population of 100,000 to 105,000 by 2020.

Limerick (city and urban) is on course, barring a massive upswing in numbers, to be slightly under 100,000 by 2020 as most of the growth in county Limerick over the last few census results has been outside of the urban band.

Galway on the other hand has been getting strong growth in it's city, urban, and county area populations.

The message to Limerick folk is a very clear one. Start making babies, your city needs you to do your duty. :D

Is there any chance you can provide a link for your figures, please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I read somewhere that Limerick City has the highest rate of births outside of marriage (single mothers) in the country. I am not aiming to stigmatize anyone who comes under this category, call me old fashioned, but I'd rather see newborn babies coming into the world to married couples.

I read somewhere that Limerick City has the highest rate of births outside of marriage (single mothers) in the country. I am not aiming to stigmatize anyone who comes under this category, call me old fashioned, but I'd rather see newborn babies coming into the world to married couples.

That's a statistical anomaly. Limerick always features high in such stats because they don't take into account the more affluent middle class suburbs, where roughly 45% of the population resides.

Is there any chance you can provide a link for your figures, please

The census figures over that time period are where the figures are from, along with an article in a Galway paper that referenced the census figures.

The census figures for different years are online, so a trawl through them will let you see the population increases and decreases between each census and also what patterns are there.

• Advertisement

Yeah Limerick has the highest rate of birth outside of marriage in Ireland. Think the same report also listed Limerick as having the highest rate of seperations/divorces as well.

To be honest I don't really care if a child is coming into a one parent or a two parent family as long as the child is treated right and brought up right. Plenty of married couples are not fit to own a dog let alone bring up a child.

Yeah Limerick has the highest rate of birth outside of marriage in Ireland. Think the same report also listed Limerick as having the highest rate of seperations/divorces as well.

As I said above, these figures tend to be flawed because they are based on the official Limerick City, which is just about 55% of the population of the actual Limerick City. A couple of journalists (and even academics) have made their names from them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The census figures over that time period are where the figures are from, along with an article in a Galway paper that referenced the census figures.

The census figures for different years are online, so a trawl through them will let you see the population increases and decreases between each census and also what patterns are there.

The census figures for galway city and suburbs records a 4% increase in population, from 72,414 in 2006 to 75,414 in 2010, if it continues along that trajectory it will hit 81,000 by 2021 ( according to CSO Census 2011)

http://galwayindependent.com/stories/item/1800/2012-15/News

This city is a good 20-25% bigger than Galway ( depending on whether you include the population of the city that resides in Clare ( Westbury, Parteen, Ardnacrusha, Meelick ) approx 100,000 as it stands, we have taken a decrease in population of about 3,000 people ( 5% of 59,790 ), in the city, these can in part be explained by regeneration alone. It is also worth noting that virtually all stats you hear about Limerick refers to this area, which severly distorts to overall picture.

The good people of Galway of course will claim all day long that Galway is bigger than Limerick, or will be, which by the way is the smart thing to do, the reality is Galway is much closer in size to Waterford than it is to Limerick.

But maybe I'm not looking at the right figures, which is why I asked for a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

The census figures for galway city and suburbs records a 4% increase in population, from 72,414 in 2006 to 75,414 in 2010, if it continues along that trajectory it will hit 81,000 by 2021 ( according to CSO Census 2011)

http://galwayindependent.com/stories/item/1800/2012-15/News

This city is a good 20-25% bigger than Galway ( depending on whether you include the population of the city that resides in Clare ( Westbury, Parteen, Ardnacrusha, Meelick ) approx 100,000 as it stands, we have taken a decrease in population of about 3,000 people ( 5% of 59,790 ), in the city, these can in part be explained by regeneration alone. It is also worth noting that virtually all stats you hear about Limerick refers to this area, which severly distorts to overall picture.

The good people of Galway of course will claim all day long that Galway is bigger than Limerick, or will be, which by the way is the smart thing to do, the reality is Galway is much closer in size to Waterford than it is to Limerick.

But maybe I'm not looking at the right figures, which is why I asked for a link.

I agree..the Limerick "Metro" population I think is 110,000 or slightly more where as Galways population (taking in the same area around the city) is somethink like 73,000 so Limerick is nearly 40,000 more where as waterford is only 23,000 smaller..

Advertisement