Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's infrastructure announcement - why no public transport?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

MYOB wrote: »
    ...most of which can (and should) be done without any need for BRT. They wouldn't be substantial improvements regardless, but when you strip out the few that actually need BRT works, its close to nothing without entirely new vehicles.

Ok.

You think some of the corner stones of BRT "wouldn't be substantial improvements regardless."

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

By having a far better road network to begin with. Crying "straw man" when a major problem is pointed out isn't a good debating tactic.

First: I did not cry "straw man" when a major problem was pointed out. I yelled it when you came up with a straw man argument with no backing.

Secondly: The apparently restrictive road network in Dublin City Centre is exactly why we should give further space over to other modes so people can move around more efficiently.

And lastly: I see we're now on the "We're different!" argument! "We're different," people said in Copenhagen, "We're not Italians we don't sit or eat out side," they said when their massive pedestrian zone was proposed. It worked out a bit differently:

7623451476_51fd3dc7b9.jpg

Grafton Street without cars will never work, Dublin is different!
    The bus gate will not work, Dublin is different!
    DublinBikes will not work, Dublin is different!

And when I brought this up with the bus gate debate, I was told the bus gate is different than Grafton Street. I'm sure you're going to say all of the above is different to BRT. :)

Take a look at a map of Dublin. Realise your idea isn't going to work. We don't have streets wide enough or with "nearby" areas for loading in anywhere where this kind of provision would be any use.

I'm not seeing the problem. Let's wait and see what the NTA's consultants come up with before I get the crayons out myself on Google Maps

Space isn't that much of an issue when you're concerned about moving people and not about keeping them in cars. ;)

Businesses in the limited pedestrianised areas already have serious trouble with loading access, particularly smaller ones in constrained buildings - which we have quite a lot of.

Difficult but worth it apparently -- or at least it seems that way from the actions of these businesses.

On-street BRT in suburbs is ridiculous to the level that I do hope you'd not even try and suggest it;

Tell that to Nantes and other cities!

Did you actually think this through before suggesting it, or are you just annoyed that some private motorists are going to benefit from this plan, and Dublin cyclists aren't?

Again: I'm concerned about the best ways to move people around - and you seem overly concerned about keeping people in cars?

I don't really view people in the way you do. While a cyclist is a good way to describe people when they cycle, the vast bulk of cyclists are also motorists and bus users and so on.

Re spending on Dublin -- do we really need to recap on how much of the population works here or how many work here? Or that congestion is a problem in the downturn and we're looking for growth and making thing attractive for investment?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,686 ✭✭✭✭L1011

monument wrote: »
    First: I did not cry "straw man" when a major problem was pointed out. I yelled it when you came up with a straw man argument with no backing.

No straw man present. It was cried when you had troubles, nothing more.
    Secondly: The apparently restrictive road network in Dublin City Centre is exactly why we should give further space over to other modes so people can move around more efficiently.

Which will kill the city. Retailers need a lot more than people - who appear to be able to access them perfectly well as it stands - to survive. Paying twice as much for a 5am delivery, not counting your own staffing costs to accept said delivery, isn't any way to survive.
    And lastly: I see we're now on the "We're different!" argument! "We're different," people said in Copenhagen, "We're not Italians we don't sit or eat out side," they said when their massive pedestrian zone was proposed. It worked out a bit differently:

What, precisely, does Dublin's 600+ year old street layout have to do with food???

There were still traffic alternatives then. BRT through the centre will leave no traffic alternatives. And have you seen how many units are empty on Grafton Street vs other streets now?
    The bus gate will not work, Dublin is different!

Bus gate causes serious, serious problems for commercial access to businesses.
    And when I brought this up with the bus gate debate, I was told the bus gate is different than Grafton Street. I'm sure you're going to say all of the above is different to BRT. :)

Of course it is.
    I'm not seeing the problem. Let's wait and see what the NTA's consultants come up with before I get the crayons out myself on Google Maps

By all means get the crayons out - I believe you won't as you'll be shown multitudinous problems straight away.
    Space isn't that much of an issue when you're concerned about moving people and not about keeping them in cars. ;)

You may drop the "cars" line. Businesses cannot live without adequate loading access.

I suspect Nantes has suburbs of significantly higher density and wider streets than we do.

Again: I'm concerned about the best ways to move people around - and you seem overly concerned about keeping people in cars?

Again, you may drop the "cars" argument - you know full well that's not what position I'm debating from, useful a crutch as it is for you.
    Re spending on Dublin -- do we really need to recap on how much of the population works here or how many work here? Or that congestion is a problem in the downturn and we're looking for growth and making thing attractive for investment?

Where did I say anything about how much was being spent in Dublin? Oh look, the first actual straw man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I don't know what other people think but perhaps the two of you should get a room as all the multi-quoting is doing my head in.

Which will kill the city. Retailers need a lot more than people - who appear to be able to access them perfectly well as it stands - to survive. Paying twice as much for a 5am delivery, not counting your own staffing costs to accept said delivery, isn't any way to survive.

Loading access can be made to work, along with routes to carparks.

What, precisely, does Dublin's 600+ year old street layout have to do with food???

Both are examples of weak claims that "we're different" which are later proven wrong.

There were still traffic alternatives then. BRT through the centre will leave no traffic alternatives.

And have you seen how many units are empty on Grafton Street vs other streets now?

Trying to put that down to any thing but the games landlords are playing trying to keep rents high is a joke.

By all means get the crayons out - I believe you won't as you'll be shown multitudinous problems straight away.

I'd be shocked if massively changing streets did not bring up a multitude of problems. Just because something would be hard to do does not mean you should not do it.

It would be complex and hard to do, but still worth doing.

You may drop the "cars" line. Businesses cannot live without adequate loading access.

And loading access can be provided and would need careful planning. There's loads of solutions we can use which are proven to work in the confined spaces in some Dutch cities and cities elsewhere.

I suspect Nantes has suburbs of significantly higher density and wider streets than we do.

We have a mix, just as they have have (which works out to include sections of BRT with centre, single-lane two-way running where needed). BRT however is not needed everywhere or nor would it work everywhere.

And as I said before -- if there are larger roads on a corridor, a BRT route should only should come off the larger roads where it has proirty.

Again, you may drop the "cars" argument - you know full well that's not what position I'm debating from, useful a crutch as it is for you.

I'm not debating against loading access if that's what you're getting at.

The cars argument is a very valid one given how they ineffectual congest the city. Leaving so much space to a mass amount of cars does not work now and just can't work at the city grows -- it's not an effective use of space or means of moving people around.

Where did I say anything about how much was being spent in Dublin? Oh look, the first actual straw man.

You said something like I only wanted spending on *Dublin* cyclists.

Loading access can be made to work, along with routes to carparks.

Unlikely. It doesn't work reliably for existing pedestrianised streets or with the bus gate; how do you propose its made work with even fewer routes through the city?
    Both are examples of weak claims that "we're different" which are later proven wrong.

Neither are relevant to this
    Trying to put that down to any thing but the games landlords are playing trying to keep rents high is a joke.

I'd be shocked if massively changing streets did not bring up a multitude of problems. Just because something would be hard to do does not mean you should not do it.

It would be complex and hard to do, but still worth doing.

So your proposing we head off in to the unknown with incalculable risk of damage to business, in the worst recession in a generation, for limited gains.

And you don't see why this would never make it to a stimulus plan?
    We have a mix, just as they have have (which works out to include sections of BRT with centre, single-lane two-way running where needed). BRT however is not needed everywhere or nor would it work everywhere.

The mix doesn't look like it even resembles ours from a quick Google Maps jaunt.
    I'm not debating against loading access if that's what you're getting at.

So stop trying to debate cars with me then.
    You said something like I only wanted spending on *Dublin* cyclists.

Because its Dublin you're suggesting a BRT for!

• Advertisement

Unlikely. It doesn't work reliably for existing pedestrianised streets or with the bus gate; how do you propose its made work with even fewer routes through the city?

Neither are relevant to this

So your proposing we head off in to the unknown with incalculable risk of damage to business, in the worst recession in a generation, for limited gains.

And you don't see why this would never make it to a stimulus plan?

The mix doesn't look like it even resembles ours from a quick Google Maps jaunt.

So stop trying to debate cars with me then.

Because its Dublin you're suggesting a BRT for!

Not unknown with incalculable risk, but highly planned to limit risk and great gains. Again, it would be hard, but still worth doing -- including getting the BRT right, and including getting loading right and access right.

The existing pedestrianised areas seem to mannage ok (I'm sure you'll try to claim otherwise again, but the businesses on those streets think other wise). In saying that, it's still worth saying that I think in general, city-wide, the city needs to sort out loading, regardless of BRT. From proving better loading space and protecting it with enforcment to going ahead with things like their high-capasisty electric bike last mile drop off service.

The "we're different" point is important and relevant because the line is brought up all around the world when new things are proposed, the line is brought up by people who are sure of them self, and then it's proven wrong.

BTW some views of Nantes BRT in the suburbs:

https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=Nantes&ll=47.189189,-1.510545&spn=0.001019,0.002642&hnear=Nantes,+Loire-Atlantique,+Pays+de+la+Loire,+France&gl=ie&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=47.189121,-1.510249&panoid=I5tFe6yEChRdg1hLFrZd5g&cbp=12,302.19,,0,12.43

https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=Nantes&ll=47.188088,-1.510204&spn=0.000975,0.002642&hnear=Nantes,+Loire-Atlantique,+Pays+de+la+Loire,+France&gl=ie&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=47.188,-1.510227&panoid=piCzrWm999rNP6Oi0nghzw&cbp=12,359.37,,0,14.57

Something taking the amount of planning you're now claiming is required would be entirely out of scope for a stimulus plan. The projects that were selected were shovel-ready; your suggestion is anything but

Are you ever going to concede to the facts here?

Something taking the amount of planning you're now claiming is required would be entirely out of scope for a stimulus plan. The projects that were selected were shovel-ready; your suggestion is anything but

Are you ever going to concede to the facts here?

First it won't work, Dublin is diffrent, now it'll just take too long to plan... concede to the facts here?

Another project selected is caught up in a legal disrupted for god only knows long. Any project that isn't caught up in legal delays could be sped up.

As for the whole fund been spent, just do one to two routes for starters -- it would also limit the problems you mentioned.

First it won't work, Dublin is diffrent, now it'll just take too long to plan... concede to the facts here?

I'm only following where you're bringing your argument. You claim that extensive planning can make it work, which still leaves it completely out of scope. Nothing you have claimed even brings it *close* to the scope required.
    Another project selected is caught up in a legal disrupted for god only knows long. Any project that isn't caught up in legal delays could be sped up.

Namely?

As for the whole fund been spent, just do one to two routes for starters -- it would also limit the problems you mentioned.

?? I have no idea what you're trying to claim/introduce here.

I'm only following where you're bringing your argument. You claim that extensive planning can make it work, which still leaves it completely out of scope. Nothing you have claimed even brings it *close* to the scope required.

Your argument was that it would not work, and that Dublin is different. I have never suggested just somehow magically slapping BRT in somewhere - it has to be planned.

Route selection / planning is advancing and could have been advanced quicker and/or park of the package delayed for a bit.

Namely?

From the department of transport's press release, "Motorway budget restored in Govt Stimulus Plan";

"The Galway city bypass is another priority project. This 12km orbital route for Galway city would link up with the M6 Dublin motorway. It’s currently on hold pending the outcome of legal proceedings, but it’s hoped to progress this as an extra PPP project depending on the outcome of the legal proceedings"

• Advertisement

Your argument was that it would not work, and that Dublin is different. I have never suggested just somehow magically slapping BRT in somewhere - it has to be planned.

Route selection / planning is advancing and could have been advanced quicker and/or park of the package delayed for a bit.

My argument is that its entirely unsuitable for a stimulus plan, for an incredibly long list of reasons.

"delayed a bit" and "stimulus plan" are incompatible concepts.
    From the department of transport's press release, "Motorway budget restored in Govt Stimulus Plan";

"The Galway city bypass is another priority project. This 12km orbital route for Galway city would link up with the M6 Dublin motorway. It’s currently on hold pending the outcome of legal proceedings, but it’s hoped to progress this as an extra PPP project depending on the outcome of the legal proceedings"

That's not actually in the plan. Hence the word "extra".

Nothing in the actual plan is anything other than shovel-ready.

My argument is that its entirely unsuitable for a stimulus plan, for an incredibly long list of reasons.

"delayed a bit" and "stimulus plan" are incompatible concepts.

Just a few posts ago you were saying BRT was imposable for Dublin, it would kill the city, and related nonsensical statements like the risks of BRT would be "incalculable" and claims that there would be limited gains.

You have not quantified or backed any of this up, instead you're just going back to vague statements (ie "incredibly long list of reasons").

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Folks this is getting repetitive, it's verging on soapboxing between the two of ye. If it doesn't stop I'll lock the thread.

Just a few posts ago you were saying BRT was imposable for Dublin, it would kill the city, and related nonsensical statements like the risks of BRT would be "incalculable" and claims that there would be limited gains.

You have not quantified or backed any of this up, instead you're just going back to vague statements (ie "incredibly long list of reasons").

I've given all my reasons, over and over and over and over again.

Sure, you've stated reasons, but my last point was that you have given little or nothing to quantified or back any of the reasons up and when I explained why your reasons were flawed, you just switched to even more general statements.

I can't agree that BRT would be yet another thing which will apprently "kill" the city, but I think we should have agreed to disagree along time ago. :)

Sure, you've stated reasons, but my last point was that you have given little or nothing to quantified or back any of the reasons up and when I explained why your reasons were flawed, you just switched to even more general statements.

The only switches in my argument have followed yours; primarily because you still haven't managed to justify why a BRT project could count as valid for a stimulus plan.

None of the rest is of any relevance realistically. There is no BRT - or any other public transport plan indeed - ready to go to construction. There is no ability for a properly formed one to be developed in a short period of time, if ever. A properly formed one would require spending huge amounts of money outside the state. Ergo it is completely implausible to suggest that it should go in to a stimulus plan.

Can we drop it now?

Can we at least agree on not being able to agree? What is the point repeating the points we cannot agree on?

Can we drop it now?

Can we at least agree on not being able to agree? What is the point repeating the points we cannot agree on?

At this stage I have better uses of my time anyway.

Advertisement