Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disposing of old laser card

Options
  • 17-07-2012 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

This is probably a silly question but why do old laser cards have to be cut in half before being thrown out?

I would have thought that if a card is expired then it's is inactive and so no-one would be able to do anything with the card (even if they had the correct PIN code).

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 PaulDalyRoI

The card number is expired, but that doesnt mean someone cant use the physical plastic to write stolen card data to, so their stolen card data looks genuine.

It may also be possible that the expiry date on the card can be changed (on the magnetic stripe) so that a reader thinks it's still valid. This false data could then be used on systems that don't always hook into the bank for authoisation. Obviously, if the transaction goes online to the bank it will be declined.

When was the last time a shop / car park etc check the expiry date printed on the receipt with the one embossed on the front of the plastic?

In my opinion you should always shred the card... never just bin it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi Eod100,
    Eod100 wrote: »
    why do old laser cards have to be cut in half before being thrown out?

Customers are advised to destroy their old cards as a matter of course for security purposes.

Thanks for your query,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Always make sure to cut through the microchip embossed on the card and not just the plastic

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Hi Eod100,

Customers are advised to destroy their old cards as a matter of course for security purposes.

Thanks for your query,
    Graham

Not what the OP asked. OP wanted to know why they needed to be destroyed not what bank policy was.

Personally OP I always shred my expired cards for the reason that has already been mentioned, it is a lot of information to leave intact.

Advertisement