Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid question

Options
  • 17-07-2012 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a pretty silly question (probably). I have really only ever used nvidia cards but am considering getting an AMD one.

For example, take any nvidia card that supports 2 monitors: I am able to use those 2 monitors separately as such (ie having 2 different resolutions instead of one large resolution), allowing me to manage different things in different monitors easily. Does AMD support the same thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

It does indeed (it's called Eyefinity)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

nVidia 600 series and AMD 6000 and 7000 series support 3 screens. Some will even support more.

The third screen has to be connected with a displayport connector. Two can be connected with DVI as normal, assuming that's what is available on the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

What your looking for has been pretty standard on both makes since cards started coming with 2 DVI ports. It isn't actually eyefinity if you use two separate resolutions even if they are identical. Eyefinity is actually a pain in the butt for a lot of productivity work as when you full screen an app it ends up across all your monitors. Eyefinity is when you combine your monitors in one display. Great for gaming but not much else.

If you get a 6XXX series they generally had 2 DVIs but the 7XXX series tends to have 1 DVI and various other connections. If you buy a display port adapter get an active one just in case. You don't need it for 2 monitors but its good to have in case you get a third.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What your looking for has been pretty standard on both makes since cards started coming with 2 DVI ports. It isn't actually eyefinity if you use two separate resolutions even if they are identical. Eyefinity is actually a pain in the butt for a lot of productivity work as when you full screen an app it ends up across all your monitors. Eyefinity is when you combine your monitors in one display. Great for gaming but not much else.

I dont run Eyefinity, but I think Displayfusion may solve your problems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Thanks for all the replies, just to clarify then: Eyefinity will allow me to run X amount of monitors (depending on card) on separate resolutions, not one big screen?

• Advertisement

No eyefinity is the one big monitor thing.

Hydravision (I think) is the plug in two monitors and run the crappy 19" at 1280x1024 and the super duper Cat Leap at 2560 x 1440.

TBH both cards do exactly the same thing with two monitors its only when you want 3 or more that the cards differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Joseph wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies, just to clarify then: Eyefinity will allow me to run X amount of monitors (depending on card) on separate resolutions, not one big screen?

Nah, if you're doing different resolutions go with just regular multi monitor. Eyefinity is for when you want to game on 2x/3x/6x the same monitor(res).

I think Im complicating this tbh sorry

All ATI cards will let you plug in two monitors and run one in one res and one in another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Myself and Tea_bag run 2 monitor setups with different resolutions (2560x1440 and 1920x1080)(2560x1440 and 1690x1050) on AMD cards if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Excellent that's what I was after :) cheers all

• Advertisement
Advertisement