Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butler creek sizes

Options
  • 17-07-2012 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

https://www.gunaccessories.com/ButCr...size_chart.asp

The manufacturers website for my scope says it has a 56 mm bell and 40mm eye piece, i measured it with a crappy ruler i have as its all i had and it does have a 56 mm bell but the eye piece seems slightly under 40mm so wondering what size butler creeks should i go for

I looked up the size chart and for the objective it says
    53.3 mm size 34
    56.4 mm size 39

Eye piece
    39.4 mm size 11
    39.9 mm size 13

Would i be better of going for the size 34 and 11? Or in you experience using them would a 53.3mm stretch to 56mm and a 56.6mm be too loose for 56.0mm

Same for eye piece, cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

What scope is it ormond, maybe someone has the same and can tell you the exact butler creeks they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Rosahane

If it's a S&B 2.5 - 10 X 56 I have Butler Creek flip up fitted and can measure if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

My zeiss conquest has a objective of 56mm and the 39 cap is a good tight fit on it.
    What scope is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Its a swarovski z3 4-12x50

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

ormondprop wrote: »
    Or in you experience using them would a 53.3mm stretch to 56mm and a 56.6mm be too loose for 56.0mm
    Don't do this. I bought a size smaller (by mistake, and thought i'd make it stretch. It fitted, but the cover on the housing was stretched so far the clasp did not hold the flip cap, and it keep opening. that's when i could get it closed of course.

Try and get the right fit for it.

As for sizes.

For the Objective lens i'd go for the size 39 (56.4mm), and for the eye piece you need to look at;
    • Size 9 - 37.3 mm
    • Size 9A - 37.9 mm
    • Size 10 - 38.5 mm
    • Size 11 - 39.4 mm
    • Size 13 - 39.9 mm
    If the eyepiece is slightly smaller than the stated 40mm size one of the above will work.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

I wasnt sure about my sizes so I bought the Multiflex Covers by Butler Creek. They are stretchy and give you a size above and below to play with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Measuring never seems to work. I have tried and always get ones that are too tight or loose. I usually order two sets and return the one I do not need.

There was a chart that you could print out and physically place the scope over a bunch of centered curves to determine the size you needed.

Sorry I cannot provide a clean copy, here's the best I can do.

Sorry about the size!

BC%20Sizing%20Chart.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

You should borrow a set of calipers and measure the scope properly and then order the cap to suit.
    It always works for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

why don't you just bring the rifle into the shop and try a few on to see what fits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

They can be got a lot cheaper online and i have no way of obtaining a calipers either, i reckon i'll just measure it as close as possible and order the two closest sizes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chesapeake

Ormondprop,
    measure the circumference and divide by 3.14 = diameter if you don't have a calipers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

At a gun show in WA last year we asked the guy on the Butler-Creek stand why they had adopted these wacky cod numbers, instead of doing what most makers would do - measure the size of the bell and use THAT as the 'code' number. So a #56 would fit a 56mm bell. Seems a plan to me.

He looked at us as though we were talking to him in Sanskrit - he totally failed to understand our reasoning.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

swarovski z3 4-12 x 50

The parts you need are:

13 EYE

39 OBJ

see post 4 here:

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3314021/1

Advertisement